WHAT IS YOUR RECOMMENDED IRON SIGHT?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

WHAT IS YOUR RECOMMENDED IRON SIGHT?

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey all. After receiving my first levergun a few months ago (Marlin 336, 35 Remington), I've come to realize that I may want some different sights. My eyesight is not what it used to be 15-20 years ago which, until recently, was the last time I did any significant shooting with a rifle. :oops:

I'm not seeing (thus, not hitting!) my target well past about 50 yards. However, I'm trying to avoid using optics. I just don't like the way they look on a levergun. I want to try different iron sights before I shop for a scope. I'm thinking some type of ghost ring or peep might help. I remember shooting really well with my brothers little 30 cal. M1 that had a ghost ring and a square post. But again, that was with younger eyes!

Any suggestions for this old "point and click" shotgunner? :?

Thanks,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: WHAT IS YOUR RECOMMENDED IRON SIGHT?

Post by Griff »

I have several favorites. Specific guns have specific jobs in my safe, and therefor they wear different sights.

Among my favorites are a semi-buckhorn with a post front, a tang peep with either a "T" post or a globe front. I actually like the standard Winchester iron sights.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I'll beat Hobie to the punch get your self a Williams Foolproof peep sight. It will greatly improve your ability to see the front sight and target with out having to put optics on the gun.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JReed wrote:I'll beat Hobie to the punch get your self a Williams Foolproof peep sight. It will greatly improve your ability to see the front sight and target with out having to put optics on the gun.
The only thing I can add is a Sourdough front sight. That's a modified post rather than a bead. Properly used it gives better sight definition on the target. Jeremy has used a post and peep on M16s for years and he knows I'm right. :wink: :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bogie, one of my favorite combinations is a Brownell's Twilight rear apperture (can't spell worth beans tonight!) and a Williams fiber optic front sight. The Brownell's has a brass circle surrounding the rear apperture. Both work well even at dusk for hunting and are very bright in full sunlight. Another great combo is a rear fiber optic sight mounted in the usual barrel dovetail, and a fiber optic front, both available from Williams (the rear is two bright dots with the front sight being placed inbetween for sight picture). They are very bright in sunlight. Guess that is why Williams calls them "Firesights". Actually, another nice combo are express sights with a rear v-notch and a bead or fiber optic front sight. Another personal favorite. I hear that XS makes a nice set-up with a front sight that has a white line running up the square post. That could also work very well. If you have a chance to try another person's rifle with some of these set-ups, that would be ideal.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hobie wrote:
JReed wrote:I'll beat Hobie to the punch get your self a Williams Foolproof peep sight. It will greatly improve your ability to see the front sight and target with out having to put optics on the gun.
The only thing I can add is a Sourdough front sight. That's a modified post rather than a bead. Properly used it gives better sight definition on the target. Jeremy has used a post and peep on M16s for years and he knows I'm right. :wink: :D
Yes Sir if I could put those sights on every gun I own I would do it in a heart beat.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The williams fool proof is a good sight. The One Ragged Hole sight is a great favorite of mine.
Also try blacking out the brass bead on that Marlin, and see if that helps. I was having some difficulty with my 95 winchester , when the brass bead fell out, well I was pretty unhappy, until I realized the thing was shooting tighter than it had before. :o :D
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

bogie,
I really like the XS front sight with the white stripe up the middle. The black outer edges are easily seen on a light backgroound, the white stripe is easily seen against a dark background. It works just as well as a plain black sight for paper punching. Combine it with your favorite flavor of rear peep sight and you've got the perfect answer to the old eye problem. A Fire Sight shows up better in murky conditions, but isn't usually as good on paper (glows - hard to see the edge).
Glenn
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

I just bought a set of Ghost Ring Sights from XS Sight Systems. I like the longer sight radius and white line front sight. For me they are an improvement over the Marlin sights, but I prefer a peep sight. An uncle experiencing the problems you related, recently shot my Marlin with the Ghost Rings and remarked that he could shoot again. :)
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

You going to use this rifle mainly for hunting or target shooting? Get the Williams Fool-Proof for the range but a Skinner Sight for hunting, very rugged and comperable to the XS but half the cost.
http://www.skinnersights.com/
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I am currently adding the Skinner's (Low-Pro) to my rifles (Marlins) and like them very much. If I could ever fiquire out how to do it, I would follow Hobie and Jeremy and have a M16 type rear sight with a dovetailed blade front.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I never warmed to the post or blade xs style front sight with my aperture rear sights. Either a very fine bead, as on my Marlin .22, or a fiber bead, as on my .357 and 45/70, help me quite a bit. The bead is the bullet, just center it and squeeze... but I am in the minority as usual I see ..,
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I really like the Lyman 66 I have on my .480 Rossi and Marlin 39.

I also just put an XS set on my 94BB/ .444 and have been really pleased with it.
I like how quickly it's on target for me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

GANJIRO wrote:You going to use this rifle mainly for hunting or target shooting? Get the Williams Fool-Proof for the range but a Skinner Sight for hunting, very rugged and comperable to the XS but half the cost.
http://www.skinnersights.com/
+1

For the Marlins I think the Skinner or XS is the best. That's what I've got on my M336 356Winchester (XS):

And I do prefer a bead front sight - if you go with the XS sight, you will find you need a pretty tall front sight - especially if you're like me and like a "on" hold vs the 6 o'clock. I suggest the .530" Marbles 1/16" brass bead model. Brownells carries them.

The Skinner and XS both give the same sight picture. This works great for "old eyes" as you focus on the front sight and allow the rear to "ghost" or go fuzzy. Your eye will naturally place the front bead directly in the middle of the rear sight.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bogie one thing to keep in mind , with the williams or the lyman receiver sights, if you want to experience the ghost ring affect, simply remove the aperature from the sight , and presto chango, you gotem ghost ring sight , with the capability of returning to superp accuracy target sight,with no tools required. :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The Williams sights are a great product - but I don't like the "bulk" on the side of the receiver. The XS and Skinner sights are clean and compact.

And the Skinner can take inserts if you want to get a target effect, so they're adaptable too. The XS has different sized aperture posts that you switch out.

I like a medium sized aperture for hunting - open enough to allow quick sighting and good light, small enough for precise placement.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizz wrote:I never warmed to the post or blade xs style front sight with my aperture rear sights. Either a very fine bead, as on my Marlin .22, or a fiber bead, as on my .357 and 45/70, help me quite a bit. The bead is the bullet, just center it and squeeze... but I am in the minority as usual I see ..,
I have beads on some of my rifles as I'm too cheap to change them all. I automatically use them just as you describe. However for precision it is easier to use a post than a bead and I use them just as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The excellent Lyman #56 has long been my favorite metallic sight. Both Winchesters left New Haven wearing these 56s. The '86 is one of the last few made and the 71 is post-war. Usually, I remove the disc apertures when hunting.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Mike, I like those - look much trimmer than the Williams.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I'm a huge fan of both Williams and Lyman receiver sights and a 1/16" bead front. I HAVE to have a bead because in the dark timber a post doesn't show up. Nothing worse on a dark rainy day in heavy timber to ease up on a nice bull and find that when you pull your rifle up, there is nothing there when using a post. A 1/16" bead is also nice for long range shooting.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MikeD,
I wish I could find one of those Lyman #56 sights. I have a real nice 1950 Win 94 that needs a receiver sight.

As I've said a gazillion times my favorite iron sights are either the Lyman 66A or the Williams FP.
Both sights work the same, and each has it's own pluses and minuses.

I do use a post front sight with an aperture type sight, bead sights just don't cut it at all.

And for the life of me, I can't see how you guys who say the bead is the bullet can hit anything. I've tried that more than once and all I hit is nothing. I have to be able to see my target to hit it.
I guess that's the way I was taught to shoot. Put the front sight where you want to hit and adjust the point of impact to be at the top of the front sight.

Different strokes for different folks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Like all aother vintage items, the Lyman 56 has seen a 100% rise in value in the past 4-5 years. I have several of them on different model Winchesters, but haven't purchased one in a couple of years. I paid $150. for the last NOS one purchased, but have seen them recently bring twice that. To me that is overpriced, yet someone is always willing to "go the distance" to obtain one. The older Redding sights are nearly as nice and don't demand the prices that Lymans do. :o
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

J Miller wrote: And for the life of me, I can't see how you guys who say the bead is the bullet can hit anything. I've tried that more than once and all I hit is nothing. I have to be able to see my target to hit it.
I guess that's the way I was taught to shoot. Put the front sight where you want to hit and adjust the point of impact to be at the top of the front sight.

Joe
Joe, you need to have both eyes open for this to work properly. That way you do see the target with the bead superimposed right where the bullet will land. Some folks have a hard time with that, but that's how its done.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
J Miller wrote: And for the life of me, I can't see how you guys who say the bead is the bullet can hit anything. I've tried that more than once and all I hit is nothing. I have to be able to see my target to hit it.

Joe
Joe, you need to have both eyes open for this to work properly. That way you do see the target with the bead superimposed right where the bullet will land. Some folks have a hard time with that, but that's how its done.
You mean to say ..................... I gotta open my eyes when I shoot???? :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Look close, and you'll see an XS.

Look a little funny? Well, I ended up mounting it backwards. It puts the ghost ring a bit further from the eye. Sort of a peep/ghost ring kinda view. Works well for me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

O.S.O.K. wrote:The Williams sights are a great product - but I don't like the "bulk" on the side of the receiver. The XS and Skinner sights are clean and compact.

And the Skinner can take inserts if you want to get a target effect, so they're adaptable too. The XS has different sized aperture posts that you switch out.

I like a medium sized aperture for hunting - open enough to allow quick sighting and good light, small enough for precise placement.
O.S.O.K. XS makes a aperture post that is threaded to take the Williams screw in apertures, at least they used to. Brownells used to carry them.
Ricky

DWWC
45Jack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45Jack »

Can't believe nobody said it yet, Old Ironsights!!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Once again, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna mull over them a little more. But when I find the right combo, I will certainly let you know!! :D

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

This is great information. I have been thinking about changing but wasn't sure to what. I still don't know when but I can't go wrong listening to these opinions.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

"The Williams sights are a great product - but I don't like the "bulk" on the side of the receiver. The XS and Skinner sights are clean and compact."

I just wish there was a way to get the XS sights lower. I think they can be machined lower, there was a custom instalation in a gun mag recently that used one from some other rifle milled in a little lower, not that it was all that significant a change.