Politics - Chicago twice as deadly as Iraq

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Politics - Chicago twice as deadly as Iraq

Post by Texican »

Where's that 'O' feller from again? Is Chicago the example of 'Change' that he want to bring to the entire country?

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.su ... 10166.html

125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer
Total Is About Double The U.S. Troop Death Toll In Iraq

CHICAGO (CBS) ― An estimated 125 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.

In May, cbs2chicago.com began tracking city shootings and posting them on Google maps. Information compiled from our reporters, wire service reports and the Chicago Police Major Incidents log indicated that 125 people were shot and killed throughout the city between the start of Memorial Day weekend on May 26, and the end of Labor Day on Sept. 1.

According to the Defense Department, 65 U.S. soldiers were killed in combat in Iraq. About the same number were killed in Afghanistan over that same period.

In the same time period, an estimated 247 people were shot and wounded in the city.

Tracking Summer Shootings In Chicago

Police department spokeswoman Monique Bond disputed the numbers, saying in an e-mail that sometimes shootings are re-classified as accidental. She said the CBS 2 analysis did not match official department statistics, but she did not provide details. CBS 2 has asked for that information.

"The department officially releases crime statistics on a monthly basis to ensure the proper investigations are thoroughly conducted to determine manner and motive which also may result in reclassifications, '' Bond said.

Violent crime reports available on the department's website do not break down shootings by month. However, the latest report shows that the murder in the city is up 18 percent from last year. From January-July, the department reports 291 people were murdered, compared with 246 for the same period in 2007.

Bond said gang-related violence presents the most serious danger to Chicago residents.

"Gang and gun violence continue to be the dominating threat on our streets," Bond said in an e-mail. "Up to 60 percent of the shootings are gang related. More than 90 percent of the offenders have criminal histories and up to 80 percent of the victims have criminal histories."

For total shootings, the South Side's Englewood District, which includes the Englewood and West Englewood neighborhoods on the city's South Side, fared the worst over the summer. A total of 11 people were shot dead there, and 46 were shot and wounded.

The highest homicide totals came in the Grand Crossing District, which includes the South Shore, Woodlawn, Park Manor and Grand Crossing neighborhoods on the South Side, 13 people were killed and 24 were injured.

Also hit severely by gun violence over the summer was the Harrison District on the city's West Side, where 11 people were shot dead and 25 were shot and wounded. In the Southwest Side's Chicago Lawn District, 12 people were shot and killed and 15 were shot and wounded. In the Ogden District – which includes the Near Southwest Side's Lawndale and Little Village neighborhoods – nine people were killed and eight were injured.

The South Chicago District on the Southeast Side saw nine people killed and 18 injured, almost all concentrated in the South Chicago and Avalon Park neighborhoods at the north end of the district.

The Far South Side's Calumet District – including the Roseland, Fernwood and Pullman neighborhoods – saw nine killed and 23 injured.

Breakdown of summer shootings by police district:
• District 1 – Central (Loop, West Loop, Near South Side): 1 dead, 4 injured
• District 2 – Wentworth (Washington Park, Bronzeville, Fuller Park): 2 dead, 10 injured
• District 3 – Grand Crossing (South Shore, Woodlawn, Park Manor, Grand Crossing) 13 dead, 24 injured
• District 4 – South Chicago (Far Southeast Side to Indiana state line): 9 dead, 18 injured
• District 5 – Calumet (Roseland, Fernwood, West Pullman): 9 dead, 23 injured
• District 6 – Gresham (Auburn-Gresham, Chatham): 5 dead, 19 injured
• District 7 – Englewood (Englewood, West Englewood: 11 dead, 46 injured
• District 8 – Chicago Lawn (most of the Southwest Side): 12 dead, 15 injured
• District 9 – Deering (Back of the Yards, Bridgeport, Canaryville, Brighton Park): 4 dead, 15 injured
• District 10 – Ogden (Little Village, much of North Lawndale): 9 dead, 8 injured
• District 11 – Harrison (Garfield Park, parts of North Lawndale): 11 dead, 25 injured
• District 12 – Monroe (Near West Side): 1 dead, 2 injured
• District 13 – Wood (West Town, Ukrainian Village, parts of Humboldt Park): 3 dead, 1 injured
• District 14 – Shakespeare (Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, parts of Humboldt Park): 6 dead, 1 injured
• District 15 – Austin (North and South Austin): 6 dead, 8 injured
• District 16 – Jefferson Park (Far Northwest Side from Portage Park to O'Hare International Airport): 0 dead, 0 injured
• District 17 – Albany Park (Albany Park, Irving Park, Avondale): 2 dead, 0 injured
• District 18 – Near North (Lincoln Park, Gold Coast Magnificent Mile, Near North Side): 1 dead, 5 injured
• District 19 – Belmont (Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, North Center): 1 dead, 1 injured
• District 20 – Lincoln (Edgewater, Andersonville, Rosehill Cemetery, Budlong Woods): 0 dead, 1 injured
• District 21 – Prairie (Hyde Park, Kenwood Oakland-Douglas, Lake Meadows, Chinatown): 2 dead, 2 injured
• District 22 – Morgan Park (Beverly, Morgan Park, Mt. Greenwood): 5 dead, 4 injured
• District 23 – Town Hall (East Lakeview, Uptown): 1 dead, 4 injured
• District 24 – Rogers Park (East and West Rogers Park): 2 dead, 2 injured
• District 25 – Grand Central (Belmont-Cragin, Kelvyn Park, Hermosa, Galewood): 8 dead, 10 injured

Adam Harrington, cbs2chicago.com

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Dang! Another striking success for the Gun Ban Lobby: All those who follow the law don't have guns. Now criminals on the other hand....
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Politics - Chicago twice as deadly as Iraq

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, that's a perfect example of the change that obanination has in mind for us.

But, alas, you are but preaching to the choir.

Surely there are none in this haven of reality that would deem to cast a vote to the dark side...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Texican wrote: 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer
There must be some kind of mistake... Aren't guns banned in Chicago?
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yeah - how is it possible that anyone is shot in the city. Haven't liberals told us that if we only allow them to take all our guns, murders would be no more?

Morons...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Slick wrote:
Texican wrote: 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer
There must be some kind of mistake... Aren't guns banned in Chicago?
Yep - it is a LIE - made up by the NRA! There are no murders in Chicago!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have read that a person should be safer in Irag than in Detroit as well. Of course this was a couple of years back. I have also heard the death rate among the U.S. military is higher outside of the conflict zones of Irag and Afganistan due to auto accidents, training accidents and similar events. A lot of people don't realize how hazardous it is even in peace time in the military. People being run over on manuvers and all kinds of stuff can happen when you have a bunch of people moving big machines and stuff around at night. Of course the MSM ignors these figures if it doesn't fit their agenda's. God Bless our troops and best wishes to all in uniform.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

And people wonder why I "violate the Law" and am unashamedly a FELON when I take the train into town... :roll:

I will not be food...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and those totals are WAY DOWN from where they were in the '80's and 90's when I lived there. I believe the yearly murder totals were about 600-700 then.

LA had 900 and NY 1200 murders per year in the same period. That's from memory, so exact numbers would be appreciated.

I remember a few anecdotes. In my apartment building there was a street-level convenience store. It was robbed every Friday night for two months. The police station was one block away.

This wasn't the South side, either, this was near the lake, near Wrigley Field.

One night a guy got mugged. As he was walking home from the mugging, he got mugged again, only this time he had no money to give up. They didn't kill him, they gave him professional courtesy.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i understand, and i also believe there is a certain amount of regulation needed for the sake of all in any given community. you know: "no shooting within city limits"...everyone knows and understands why such laws exist. however...i do NOT believe that "may not own, or possess a firearm..." has a place; the second amendment also says you may own firearms.

the problem lies in legislators...we need to overhaul the whole system from the ground up! get rid of the likes of gavin newsom, diane feinstien, joe biden, etc...

that my friends, is the ONLY real answer
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Here I go again. chicago runs the entire state of Ilannoy. Blago is deep in the chicago pocket and 3/4 of the population in the state is right there in the Commy Corner. We down state folks dearly wish we could seperate from chicago and let them go it alone. I know we would be much better off with out them.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

OK, do you attribute the lower death rate here to the 40+ pounds of body armor, armored vehicles, or the fact we all carry automatic weapons with a few belt feds thrown in with CAS.
It is not the critic who counts
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Paladin wrote:OK, do you attribute the lower death rate here to the 40+ pounds of body armor, armored vehicles, or the fact we all carry automatic weapons with a few belt feds thrown in with CAS.
That and "dynamic response" is encouraged rather than frowned upon...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Hi guys,

I'm totally with you on how foolish the gun laws are, and how un constitutional many local and state governments are, but the stats aren't equivalent. To get a truer picture, you would have to compare law enforcement deaths in Chicago vs. military deaths in some equivalent part of iraq, and then civilian deaths in Chicago vs. non combatant deaths in the same area of iraq. I'm glad our military is relatively safe in Iraq. i think they would be relatively safe in Chicago too! as long as their guns weren't taken from them! I'm guessing there are a lot of civilain deaths in Iraq that aren''t part of the above comparison.

I guess that is the ultimate point. Armed Police/Military are safer than un armed civilians. No matter wwhere they are

Save lives. let our people carry!

Tom