Leverevolution... why am I not excited about this?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Leverevolution... why am I not excited about this?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I like Hornday. I like Marlin. I like improved ballistics... in fact I just went to a lot of trouble to rechamber a m94 to 30-30AI. And I like it.

But I'm just not excited about this new ammo.

I know part of it is that I like rolling my own and having a box of ammo customized to my rifle for $8 or less. But that's not entirely it...

I'm OK with it - understand that a lot of folks like it and understand why - just something not there or missing or something. Hard to put my finger on it...

Weird.

I feel the same way about all of the super magnum handgun cartridges. The only one that I'm even interested in is .480 Ruger. I think that's a real improvement - albeit incremental over my 45 Colt handloads....

I don't own any rifles chambered for the super magnum rifle cartridges, short/fat or other either - not all that ineterested either. Again, the only one that interests me at all is the Ruger Hawkeye in .375 Ruger. But I have no need and probably won't go there...

Most all of the newer stuff is just hype and BS to sell more stuff - I don't see any real gains.

Maybe I'm lumping the Leverevolution together with the short/fat magnums...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Leverevolution... why am I not excited about this?

Post by chadbr »

I haven't bought any -- but I like anything that brings more "mindshare" to leverguns.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I used it successfully on a cow elk last year. I don't reload simply because I have no spare time because of my sons' activities. The 45-70 ammo is extrememly accurate out of my Marlin XLR. I have a bull elk tag this year :D so hopefully it will work again. This is the recovered bullet. It went through a rib and was resting against the hide on the opposite side. Shot was about 100 yards.

Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Maybe it is the way it looks. I find the 325 grain flex tip for the 45-70 very good ammo. kind of reminds me of the Winchester power points. For me it is cheap to buy, shoots well, get tight groups out to 120 yards. Seems to work very good on deer, So thats all I need. But with that crimped jacket and the plastic tip It just don't look right. But I don't buy on looks. My two cents...
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It worked very well in Africa on Wildebeest and Warthogs.

Leverguns Safari with Chris Troskie 2007
http://www.leverguns.com/africa/2007/le ... i_2007.htm
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

JimT wrote:It worked very well in Africa on Wildebeest and Warthogs.

Leverguns Safari with Chris Troskie 2007
http://www.leverguns.com/africa/2007/le ... i_2007.htm
now, that is cool pic. :)
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

I'm not excited about it either. I think it's great that the effort is being made though, and is bringing more attention/pumping more life into leverguns, but I have no use for it. I have two levers, one in .25-35, the other in .30-30. Well, they're not making the former, and with the latter? There's nothing the .30-30 Leverevolution ammo is going to do with open sights that my reloads or traditional .30-30 ammo isn't already doing.

As for marketing hype.... when Hornady compares their .30-30 load to Winchester's, they compare it to the 170 grain load. A heavier, slower bullet, and then they zero it at a shorter range (150 yards for the Winchester, 200 yards for the Hornady ammo IIRC), so of course when you get out to 300 yards, the Winchester load is dropping like a rock. Compare the Hornady load to the the Winchester 150 grain load and zero them at the same distance, then I'd like to see how the two compare. The Hornady should be better, but not by much.

~Michael
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I feel the same way about all of the super magnum handgun cartridges. The only one that I'm even interested in is .480 Ruger. I think that's a real improvement - albeit incremental over my 45 Colt handloads....
On a related note, I see where Winchester is now offering reduced recoil ammo for the .460 S&W. Say, what?!?!?! I do believe we already have that covered with .45 Colt or .454 Casull ammo. Sheesh! Not to mention the sheer silliness of introducing and aggressively marketing a cartridge based on its power, and then bringing out down-loaded ammo so people will actually shoot it.

Scott
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nail on the head Scott. Silly. I personally don't want to shoot a .460 - not that I coulnd't handle it, just that if I want to carry around a 5 1/2 pound gun to hunt with, I'll just make it 7 pounds and go with a 35 Rem - which I think is about the same power level. And I'll be able to hit with the rifle much easier than the handcannon.

As to the Leverevolution - I never said that it isn't good ammo or effective - it obviously is. I'm just not excited about it. I don't see anthing that I can't do with my own loads. Maybe its because I'm a handloader and can't get the bullets... :?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!