OT - chainsaw

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

OT - chainsaw

Post by AndyM »

Cooler weather is comming and I have to get some firewood ready for the winter. Last year my el'cheapo chainsaw finally gave up ghost. I am getting ready to buy a new saw which will be used for cutting firewood and general use around the home and cabin. Looking to spend about $250-$350, and I would like at least 40 cc and 2.5 to 3 hp minimum.

I've pretty much decided it will be a Husqvarna or Stihl. I have never owned either, but I have used a Husky before and liked it. I know Stihl makes good products and are highly praised and have a loyal following.

My question is; Are there major differances between the two at the size I am looking for - or is this a Ford vs. Chevy type of agrument? What brand do you all use?

thanks for the input...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - chainsaw

Post by spaceman spiff »

I have owned both and the Husqvarna seems to be the more saw for the buck for me. That being said, both saws are excellent and will be there when you need them for many years.

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
L8agin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by L8agin »

Have the huskvarna 460 and it makes my old homlight look like a model T. It is practically the same as the rancher 455 which a friend has 2 of and loves them. Have another friend with a sthil about the same size and cuts like mad also. Think it boils down to size, newer technology and service. They both have good reputations. because I love my husky, I don't hesatate to recomend it. It cuts 3 times repeat 3 times the wood in the same time with less fuel than my old farm size homlite.
Unless you are just ocasionally cutting small limbs, I definatly recomend going with the 455 rancher as it popular saw. Bigger don't hurt, just depends on your needs.
The newer saws scream 10'000+ RPM and make saw dust fast-Have more than one chain to be able to change if you damage one. The key is to keep em sharp and they throw large chips fast with less fuel :D
L8
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Have had a several Stihl saws. Not impressed. I've had better luck with a couple cheapo Poulan, El Cheapo, Lowes specials I got after my last Stihl bought the farm. I bought one and ended up getting one as a gift from my Dad shortly after that.

I've had my eye on a Husqvarna and have been putting off buying one until burn up the two Poulans i have now. Still waiting :D Haven't even used the second one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I've been using the same Husky for 14 years and it's never skipped a beat. Many of those years my only heat source was a wood fire. There is a lot of logging in this neck of the woods and that is all I see these guys using. If I ever have to buy another saw it will be a Husky.
AQHA Life Member
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i have owned stihl for years. i have a 361 and a 044. they get the job done.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I own a Stihl with no problems :D
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

A friend I shoot trap with has a small auto and lawn equipment shop. He chooses to sell Jonsered chainsaws.

http://www.jonsered.com/

~Michael
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Stihl Farm Boss, 28 years old, Still A1 saw,
BUT, I don't think any are now made as good as the old ones..
Everything is 'disposable'
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't think anything is as good as it used to be. I'm on my second Poulan in 30 years. The first one was in the possession of a brother in law when the case got cracked. The one I have now is almost as good, but not quite.
i have a cousin that works in N.Fla where they do a lot of pulp wood cutting. His company always used Poulans. I used to like the thumb pump to put more oil on the bar than the automatic oilers do but I don't see any of them with that feature any more. I guess they've gone the way of grease fittings on an automobile.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i haven't hear of jonsered in years. i thought they went out of business. they were great saws.
L8agin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by L8agin »

If your saw is 28 years old, your in for a surprise performance wise of the new saws. As far as my huskvarna, junk is a extremly inapropriate discription. Even if it lasted only half as long it will have cut a bunch more wood, and at this time I see no reason for a short life.
Break it in according to instructions particularly concerning oil gas rarios and FOLLOW oil fuel ratios. After break in they are lean compared to older saws requirements, so correct measurements and qualiy ingreadients are important. These are literally high performance racing engines. Love my huskey :D
L8
O-- and another thing these are air cooled engines and life is dependent on cooling so keep air cleaning screens, passages and fins clean. READ THE MANUAL BEFORE you have trouble. Too many times it's the other way around. Chain oiling very important is covered in manual also.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I had a big stihl and cut firewood, felled trees and cut lumber with it.

Now I have a Husky and use it for firewood. It seems to work fine. I'd be satisfied with either.

lots of stihls in the Alaska woods when loggers could log
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Stihl
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I like my little Husqvarna, but then I also have a fondness for Husqvarna rolling blocks ...
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Sounds like an Stihl 290 farm boss http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS290.html would do you nicely.
I've had one for 11 years and have easily cut 200 cord with it.
Also have a 30+ year old 028 for a recovery saw and just bought an 065 Magnum for the really big stuff.
There great saws.
Last edited by WCF3030 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Stihl. We only heat with wood and my Stihl 036 has kept us warm and gotten us out when our Sierra storms starts throwing our trees around for the last 13 years...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use a Husky 50 I have had for 20years, darn thing keeps going. I put this down to the guidance of an ole' woodsman I know who instructed me to only use a very good semi-syn oil and so I do. The same woodsman soon went off Stihl in favour of Huskey hence my choice, I trust this ole' mans decisions and so far he has been proven rite.
Johnsered I believe are made across the road from Huskey and may be co owned now, they have the same reputation.
My bro has switch to wood fuel and bought a Huskey 242 which he got very cheap (new) on e-bay and loves it.
The choice is yours but I know which I'd choose :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

The Stihl Farm Boss is the one for you. There are three levels of Stihl saws; occassional use; mid-range use; and professional use. The Farm Boss is a mid-range saw. Stihl's occassional use saws are okay, but I think some of the cheaper occassional use saws offered by companies that only make occassional use saws, like Poulan, are a tad better value. There is a vast difference between an occassional use saw and a professional use saw. The professional saws are easier to use, have more power, have more endurance, are lighter, and won't wear you out like a lower end saw - they are, however, expensive.

Husky makes a good saw, and so does Echo. I've owned a number of Poulans, Mccullochs, Stihls, and Echos. And I cut with guys using a variety of other saws. Unless I find a sale, I'd put my money down on a Stihl, followed closely by Husky, and then Echo and begin my search at the mid-range level and leave the occassional use saws alone.

Let me leave you with this, you cannot purchase a good saw at Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears; they simply do not carry them. Their shelves are stocked with lower end saws made with lower end parts. They will work, but not for long (I'm assuming you're cutting at least three or four cord a year). Go to a stocking dealer that sells the saw your looking for and buy it there, and be ready to pay - good saws begin at $350 - $400. Have fun.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I went the same route last year.

I actually tried to buy a husky, because my brother has one he likes, but the [place was closed on Mondays, so I went to the Stihl dealer, told him I wanted a good saw, adjustable oiler, enough guts to work an 18 inch bar well, and he got me fixed up with one. I think it's called a "wood boss". DAYUM if it isn't a cutting fool (My first project was bucking up a huge hard maple close to 3 foot around, it went through it like corn through a goose), and starts easy even after sitting..... The first thing you will notice is they use a heavier gauge chain than the cheapies, because they have guts enough to pull it. For around $350-$400 ya start getting into the REAL, working man's saws, and not a "homeowner's product".

Husky or Stihl, vanilla or chocolate, just get enough saw to be "real", and not a baby saw meant for an old lady to trim small limbs with.
Certified gun nut
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

My podna works at a knife and saw shop. He tells me that Stihl is #1 and Husqvarna is #2. I'd bet you'd be OK either way. I have a Husqvarna and no problems.

TomF
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have an old Stihl 023. It's a small saw, but it's just fine for what I use. I probably cut 2 cords of
wood a year with it and it works fine. If I was doing more, I'd get a bigger saw. Personally, I think
it's a great saw for the $.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

I have used the Stihl Farm Boss with great success. 5 chord of wood a year for three years. Not even a hiccup. Logging friends around here all use Stihl. (Idaho)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Whatever brand you get - even Stihl - do NOT get the "consumer" grade product.

Ever.

And yes, Stihl makes a consumer grade product. My dad has my 1980s Stihl. 24" bar, runs like a top. I've used up at least 5 chains on it.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

my vote would be for a Husqvarna. Best saw I ever had.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cavemike
Levergunner

Post by cavemike »

I have been using my Jonesered for about 26 years. Enough said.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

What ever you buy make sure you can get service and parts locally. I bought a McCulluch commercial grade about 18 years ago. The next year McCulluch stop making them and then I moved . Finding basic parts were a pain in the butt. So I would stick with Stihl or Husky there is dealers everywhere.

I bought a Stihl 361 3 years ago from a local place that sold both Stihl and Husky . I went there planning on buying a Husky and left with a STihl. I liked the chain tensioner better. The owner wouldn't point me to which one was better. Basically comparing apples to apples. He also sold Johnstred. I like my Stihl , maybe in 15 years I'll try a Husky!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I had a Stihl 026 for over 12 years never a problem. I also had a Poulan 125 for limbing recovery etc. Some skumbag stole them from my shed this summer. I replaced them with a Husky rancher 55 and a 142. The reason for husky was dealer was closer 5minutes vs 30 minutes. Great saws, better fuel consumption comfortable to handle. As you said chev or ford but I have been happy with Stihl and really like the husky. In my opinion 50cc is a good minimum for most work.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I work for a Stihl dealer. Have been to Stihl bronze and silver level service schools. I dont normaly work on the saws as I do the lawn mower side of the shop. We sell thousands of saws yearly and repair most any brand. Husqvarna makes a good saw but there are no dealers in our area to support them. They are kinda like Honda and others in that many repair parts are only available through a stocking dealer. Buy a saw from a known good dealer and you will have good support when you need it repaired. THEY ARE ALL GOOD AND THEY ALL BRAKE!! Just like guns. :D
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I've been running my Stihl 032AV for something like 23 years. It's like a Winchester before the rebounding hammer - none of the silly safety stuff, just use your brain. :D

The only bad thing about it, is I had to have the carb rebuilt twice because I left gas in it over winter. The repairman told me gas eats the rubber parts. :roll: I don't know if the parts have gotten better, but I still empty the tank and run it dry when I'm done using it. A pain, but I can live with it, because the saw is great otherwise. I can run it in my sleep...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

PaulB , The gas is the same as it allways was. its the additives and the alcohol blended with it that eats the rubber parts in your carburetor and to let it set over the winter without fuel stabilizer in the fuel is a good way to spend $80 - $100 BUX. :o
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have two Stihl's (since I have a son to cut wood with!) - a 18 year old 340AV and a 1 year old "Farm Boss" - both are mid-size.

We heat our home with NOTHING else but wood (in Indiana), and both have runned flawlessly for me, except . . .

I ran over the new one with my truck the first day I used it :oops: :oops: :oops: but - it just made a teeny crack in the handle, and it 'stihl' :roll: works fine.

I have never owned anything else with which to cut wood except a nice Swiss bow-saw, and double bladed axe, so I can't comment on other chainsaw brands.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We had a old Homelite XL350 for about 30 years that was a fine saw but heavy as all get out ! Pop bought the thing new when I was about 5 years old so that would have been about 1966 !

We would most likely still be using it if we could get parts !

Later when it started getting hard to keep it fixed he bought a Echo which in simple terms is no good !

After that I talked him into getting a Stihl Farm Boss and that thing is right ! Last year I picked up a second smaller Stihl to carry when I'm on the tractor .

I have a buddy that has Husky's and they are fine also , but I just seem to prefer Stihl's now !

Although I do have the old Homelite now that my grandad got new about 20 years ago and it still does a admirable job ! Also have a old McCullough Mini Mac 10 that he got new about 30 years ago . Doesn't run to well but I'll keep it and my pops old Homelite just for sentimental reasons !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I work in the woods, Here in california our trees are BIG (same as washington and oregon). My self and everybody I work with uses husqvarna saws. The 372 is about the smallest you will see in the woods, I use a 385xpw and am thrilled with the results. The Stihl is also a great saw (I have 3) but I find them to be a bit more tempermential. I also collect old saws, mainly the older Macs and homelites. You should be happy with eaither but husky is my brand, I know I know winchester vs. marlin, ford vs. chevy...

(Husky, winchester, ford :D )
Break on through to the other side!!!
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

Stihl always was the way to go. I haven't had to buy one in a while. I have an 090, and an 026. Like the others say buy something large enough to be used by city crews and trimmers, like the 026. Stihl starts on the first or second pull every time if one pays attention to the choke sequence.

My Dad bought a Husky a while back, and I was pretty mad since I mostly use it for him, and it looked like a real toy at first. Seems to be a pretty good saw though. It is a different animal than my Ss, lots of flimsy plastic parts, that seem to hold up but feel cheap. Apparently they are there for vibe reduction.
goon
Levergunner

Post by goon »

I like my Husquvarna.
And it is efficient. So far this year we've probably got close to two cords of firewood cut with mine and we're still running on the same can of gas.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

lever-4-life wrote:
(Husky, winchester, ford :D )

Stihl , Marlin and Chevrolet :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

When I lived in Idaho 26 years Stihl & Husky were equally popular so I can't imagine going wrong with either.
Just to throw a monkey in the wrench as the State Maintenance Supervisor for Maui District (3 Islands) I had to purchase several chainsaws for the district and the brand recommended to me by my counterparts in other divisions was the Shindaiwa brand designed and built in Japan. These chainsaws were commercial duty, powerful, extremely reliable comparatively lighter in weight than comparable chainsaws from Stihl and Husky. The majority of wood we cut was Kiawe a local variety of Mesquite which is hard as a rock but no problem. These were as reliable as a Toyota truck. If they are available in your area they are worth looking into.
http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/product ... /index.php
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

ONLY BUY A COMMERCIAL GRADE SAW, NO MATTER WHAT MAKE IT IS.
The first clue is a plastic body - spells "consumer grade".
You can get a commercial unit for $450-$500. Commercial grade is worth every extra penny. At that price, it won't be huge, but most of us don't need huge, and it will probably last your lifetime.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I like Stihls. Just bought a new MS 660, the next to their biggest. That baby will outlast me for sure. It's so powerful that it may just cause my demise :lol:
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

All the line- work contractors and Power companies I've worked for ( or deal with today) favor the Stihl.

We use those for tree trimming, brushing and cutting down wooden utility poles... and line crews dont take near the care of a chainsaw that a arborist does.

Someone else mentioned that this kind of thing comes in consumer and industrial grades... spend the extra cash and buy the better grade of tools.

95% of chainsaws problems come from dull chains. Filing a chain is not rocket science and spares are cheap and a good thing to keep around. mske sure you run the right chain size on a bar that is made for it too...

Huskys and Jonserds make good saws too.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Buy the one you like and BUY FROM A SERVICING DEALER !!
Buy one from Lowes,Home Depot or McDonnalds and where are you going to go when it needs service????

I work for a Stihl dealer and we junk dozens of saws of various brands every year due to unavailability of parts.
PS , The young feller in the pic is James. A top notch saw mechanic!! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Three Stihls in the family (guess we're 'moonshiners' then, huh!).

Older Farm Boss - heavy but keeps going and going and going.

Newer Farm Boss - lighter and keeps going and going and going.

"034" model - in between in age and weight - also very reliable.

The only problem I've had is I ran over my New Farm Boss with my pickup the first day I had it; cracked the handle, but it still cuts like a demon.

ONE THING - get a DIAMOND sharpening stone rather than those little cheap stone ones. Both fit a standard dremel and sharpening guide, but the diamond is faster, cooler on the metal, and lasts way longer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I have a Stihl and a Jonsred at the house and They've gotten a LOT of use this year due to all the debris from the ice storm. We use Husky's at work,vent saws, big honkin' circular blade saws for cutting through metal etc. They have really impressed me with the ability to withstand the beatin' they take on the job and they still start easy.
The next saw I buy will be a Jonsered or Husky. Stihl is out of the running as far as I'm concerned. YMMV :)
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Just a quick update.

I pulled the Farm Boss (the bar says wood boss, but the machine itself says farm boss) out of the shed after sitting a year. It started on the second pull and after 15 seconds on half choke, was ready to idle happily and spool up and cut on command. It does all I need of it with no BALONEY (I'm getting too old to bear with stuff tools.)

I told thge fellow I bought it from "Give me a real, working man's saw, no homeowners products", and he did.
Certified gun nut
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

If you really want to cut wood. Use the chainsaw of choice to cut the wood into lenths that you can manhandle on to the carrier of a 36 inch buzzsaw powered by the PTO wheel of an old F12 tractor driving a huge belt.

Used to help dad cut up to 10 cords a year keeping the house warm in montana. He would not let me near to business end of the saw but helped him get big pieces on the carrier and stack the cut pieces. Could not help myself wasting ya'lls time but thinking of helping dad cut that would brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. Lost him in 92
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"