Confession - I am a caliber junkie...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Confession - I am a caliber junkie...

Post by awp101 »

Hello, my name is awp101 and I am a caliber junkie.

I've always been facsinated by not only firearms but the ammuniton they use. It started with the calibers I grew up with (.30-30, .30-06, .22, etc) and once I became interested in military history it expanded into those calibers used in various conflicts such as .303 Brit, 8mm Mauser, 9mm, 6.5 and 7.7 Japanese, etc.

Growing up (which some claim I've NEVER done! :mrgreen: ) in the 70s and 80s I became aware of the "Evil Empire" and the oddball calibers they issued. 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9x18 Makarov. It was years before I figured out the "R" in 7.62x54R meant Rimmed, not Russian and when I first read of an AK74 I was CONVINCED the author had dyslexia and the editor missed it. :lol:

I was content reading about and using the above calibers. Sure, I'd heard of the .45 Colt and .44-40 in passing along with the .30-40 Krag and 6.5 Swede but they didn't interest me much. Same with the .38 Special, .357, .44 Mag, .45ACP, .32ACP and .380ACP. Then I found the internet and realized not only was there something to those calibers but there was a whole passel that were totally new to me.

One day a couple of years ago I asked on another forum about lever actions and was pointed here. I started reading about .30-20, .32-40, .35 Remington, .32 Win Special and .38-40. Holy cow, MORE stuff I'd never heard of and of course I needed to research them and own as many as I could. The research led me to the works of P.O. Ackley, Cartridges of the World and the ultimate den of sin: Wildcat Cartridges Vol I & II.

CotW and Wildcat Cartridges Vol I & II have become constant companions recently. Each time I open one, some new caliber jumps out and says "Build me! Do something with me!" Of course I don't have the time, resources or talent to do it myself or have it done for most of these but it's fun to think about.

Finally it hit me yesterday as I was reading about some wildcat I ran across while looking for info on ANOTHER wildcat: I have no use for any new calibers. Anything these wildcats can do, I probably have a factory round (or at least access to a factory round) that can do the same thing, if not cheaper, certainly with less work. Yet the voices continue...

How can you argue with names like .218 Mashburn Bee, 6.53 Scramjet, .219 Zipper, .450 Assegai, .22 Long Snapper, .25 Hornet, .17 Mach IV, .240 Cobra, .375 Whisper, .257 Mini Dreadnaught, and .22-.30-30?

You can't....well, I can't anyway. I've quit wondering "What use do I have for that?" and just finally admitted to myself that I am a caliber junkie. I may never own most of these cartridges, in fact I'll probably never get a hold of more than 2-3 of them if that many. But I still plan on having fun reading up on them and dreaming... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Confession - I am a caliber junkie...

Post by Old Savage »

I like to try and also reload as many as I can. I have records on about 24,000 rounds reloaded.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

awp101 wrote:How can you argue with names like .218 Mashburn Bee, 6.53 Scramjet, .219 Zipper, .450 Assegai, .22 Long Snapper, .25 Hornet, .17 Mach IV, .240 Cobra, .375 Whisper, .257 Mini Dreadnaught, and .22-.30-30?
My favorite is the ".22 Velo Dog"
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I reference those two books alot . But your missing one . The handloaders manual of cartridge conversions by Donnely and Towsley. Not only does it list alot of cartridges but tells you how to make the brass from standard cases. Also Wildcat Cartridges by Zeglin is a very good read about looking into all the aspects of wildcats.

I'm sorry I can tell that there is no hope for your addiction , so I thought I would feed it a little. :P
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BenT I saw the conversion book at a local 'smith shop today but didn't want to pony up $40 yet. :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Uh Oh... I bet someone will be burning up the search engine over on Amazon.com in short order.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OK,
5.7mm Johnson
got it in a .30 cal carbine
MUCHO fun
hi cap mags
everyone thinks it's a .30 carbine
the dipsticks do not THINK it is an EBR
Yep wildcats, mucho fun
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

And don't forget one of the pioneers in cartridge conversions: Major George C. Nonte and his "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions." Still have the one I bought in 1967.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

awp101 wrote:Finally it hit me yesterday as I was reading about some wildcat I ran across while looking for info on ANOTHER wildcat: I have no use for any new calibers. Anything these wildcats can do, I probably have a factory round (or at least access to a factory round) that can do the same thing, if not cheaper, certainly with less work.
It would probably be easily proved, to most peoples satisfaction, that the overlap in performance between cartridges is astronomical.

Some of that stuff is pretty neat though, and it's hard to knock creativity in ones hobbies.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Great post , Thanks "awp" & All.

Good Read, ( Keeps this site interesting ).

Just Hope I don't run across any of the afore mentioned books,, :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yep, this hobby could get pretty boring if all we had were the 38 Spl and 30-30.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I don't have any odd ones but let's not forget the 220 Jaybird.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Awp 101 , if you have a Borders around you join their Rewards Plan . They E-mail offers and about once every 6 weeks you get a 20 to 33 % off coupon. That is how I got that book . They even ordered it up with the discount. They can do that depending on the supplier. In the last couple of years that is how I have gathered some good reference books at a discount. Otherwise Midway has better prices than Amazon I have also bought some from
http://www.gunshowbooks.com/ . They keep everything they sell in stock . Prices usually only go up when they restock .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, how many calibers do you currently need to feed? :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Andrew wrote:
awp101 wrote:Finally it hit me yesterday as I was reading about some wildcat I ran across while looking for info on ANOTHER wildcat: I have no use for any new calibers. Anything these wildcats can do, I probably have a factory round (or at least access to a factory round) that can do the same thing, if not cheaper, certainly with less work.
It would probably be easily proved, to most peoples satisfaction, that the overlap in performance between cartridges is astronomical.

Some of that stuff is pretty neat though, and it's hard to knock creativity in ones hobbies.
Used to be, wildcats were created to fill a need (ie something better for varminting other than a .22 or .30 cal) or to at least to try and improve upon a factory cartridge (ie Ackley's work).

Now it seems it's just to have something different.
Ysabel Kid wrote:So, how many calibers do you currently need to feed? :D
Wow, I was hoping to avoid thinking about that one... :?

Let's see here, I have to feed: .22LR, .22H, .223/5.56, 5.45x39, .30-30, .308, .30-06, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, .303 Brit, 7.5 Swiss, .45ACP, .45 Colt, .45-70, .45-120, .38-40, .32-20, .32 H&R Mag, .380 ACP, 9x18, 9x19, .357, .40, .44 Mag, 12ga....and that's just the smokeless stuff I can think of offhand, it doesn't include the BP other than the .45-120....... :? Plus I want a .32 ACP (cz 83 to complete the caliber collection they are commonly found in), a 6.5-.303 I ran across, a .35 Rem, a .38-55, a .22 Long Snapper andandand :lol:

Honestly, I could live/survive with only 3-4 of those calibers and be set for 99.9% of anything that came my way unless it's heavily armored.

But that's no fun! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

m the same way want a contender carbine barrel in .30 mauser and the .22 carbine and .30 carbine. still have 1000 308 mil-brass for my soon to be 308. and the 250 cobra (25/220 swift) is on my short list which is about 3 years old. yep it never ends.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!