Where have all the 30/30's gone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Where have all the 30/30's gone?

Post by Meeteetse »

Perhaps it is just my imagination, but the 30/30 seems to be disappearing. It has been one of my favorite old time cartridges for over 45 years and the only manufacturer I can find that is still chambering a gun is Marlin. I know there are many calibers out there that are superior, but there is still something fun about shooting a gun chambered in a 100+ year old cartridge.

I've got three 30/30 Winchesters, including one that dates from 1902, and I would like to have others, and not just Winchesters. I own a couple of Marlin rifles in other calibers, .44 and 45/70, and I may get a 30/30, but I have been looking for something different.

Are there any 30/30 shooters out there like me wishing there were more guns to choose from, or am I just an old dinosaur?
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: Where have all the 30/30's gone?

Post by bsaride »

I have a 100 year old Marlin 30-30 and just bought a 1920 Savage 99.
I believe Mossberg is now making a 30-30 along with Marlin.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

after working on some loads I'm getting attached to the cartridge.

I don't have any other choices in condor safe loads right now.

The ammo is not that plentiful around here, I see more 30-06 and 270 and 308.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

T/C and NEF still chamber the round, although the not be leverguns.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Same for .35 Remington and .444 Marlin, but I still like 'em!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I beleive Savage still has it as an option on their Combo guns - model 24. They were making a 12ga/30-30 for awhile, but I do not know if it is still in production or not
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Haven't you heard. The ol gal is strictly a miminal load for anything from squirrels to rabbits. Some think the 22 LR is a better performing caliber so all future production has been put on hold. By the way. A friend of mine did a one shot drop on a 400 pound black bear with a 30-30 with of all things, the factory open sights.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm kind of partial to my NEF Handi Rifle in .30-30.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff has them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

still big among the wool shirt and duck boot crowd...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Rusty wrote:I'm kind of partial to my NEF Handi Rifle in .30-30.
Me to. Best $150 dollars I ever spent.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

El Chivo wrote:still big among the wool shirt and duck boot crowd...
No duck boots put dead on with the wool shirt.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I for one wish Remmy chambered it in their little model 7, that would tempt me. I would like to see it a Handi but we don't get them over here.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OS +1

:D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There's one in my safe....I tend to reach for the 1895GS, the 1895 Cowboy, or the Win. 1886......I like my 45-70s a bunch, but that 30WCF is just as good (effective, if you will) and shoots flatter without flattening my shoulder...........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

BlaineG wrote:There's one in my safe....I tend to reach for the 1895GS, the 1895 Cowboy, or the Win. 1886......I like my 45-70s a bunch, but that 30WCF is just as good (effective, if you will) and shoots flatter without flattening my shoulder...........
yep, one in my safe as well. A Marlin 1893 made in 1902. I too tend to grab my Marlin 1895 GS or my Browning 1886 SRC. I like the 45-70 as well, but like he said where I am the old 30-30 would and does work just as well. with a lot less noise and recoil.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I believe you are right about GRIFF and and the Winchester 30-30's, there are only four in my safe.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I have a couple in my safe, 2 in the hall closet, one in my truck,one in my wife's trunk, one each in both boy's trucks. :D But I don't have a problem with them. Now with .357s maybe I do have a small problem.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Old Savage wrote:Griff has them.

Sorry, who or what is GRIFF?. . . . . I guess I missed that source somewhere, or perhaps I don't know the acronym.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

GRIFF is a forum member, where you been all these years???? Oh, wait, 34 posts, OK you're a newbee. Just do a search for GRIFF and you'll come to know him.

He and 20Cows build 94 Winchesters to suit themselves. Between them they must have have of Winchesters total production sewed up.

Me .... I only got two right now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Joe, Meeteetse was on the old forum, lived up in Wyoming.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks Jerry. I knew his name was familiar but I couldn't place it. I've never been good for names.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Although the grand old 30 WCF is still being made in a couple of rifles, it sure ain't no trouble finding one in new or near new condition. I bet there's over 10 million of them in circulation---well, about 9 million, 9 hundred and ninety-nine thousand. The other thousand or so belong to Levergun forum members-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I believe it's called market saturation. Why on earth would anyone buy a new 30-30 when they can have a better quality used one for cheaper?

Ed
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Dont look at me!! I only have seven or eight. :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Now don't blame me... have to remember that I've been told NOT to buy any moe .30-30s; six of mine are partial guns, sans wood on most and a part here & there on a couple. 'Sides my B-I-L has more than me anyway. In fact, he has more 1886s than I have .30-30s, all originals. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

He and 20Cows build 94 Winchesters to suit themselves. Between them they must have have of Winchesters total production sewed up.
Hey, I only had five!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

20cows wrote:
Hey, I only had five!
I guess I better buy some more and catch up. :D

Joe
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

No, not a newbee, had several hundred posts on this sight before something happened and I was lost, but that is of no importance. Regardless, I have never heard of Griff. If it is that simple, I will do a search.

Thanks for remembering me JerryB

By the way, I know there are thousands of 30/30 Winchesters out there, I was more concerned that no one is making new rifles in a great old caliber except Marlin, T/C and perhaps NEF. Maybe that is all the industry can handle. . . .To bad. . :(

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Meeteetse,

"Supposedly" Browning-Winchester is going to reintroduce the Mdl 94 in 2009. That, if it happens, will bring back another maker of the 30-30.

All we can do is wait and see I guess.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:GRIFF is a forum member, where you been all these years???? Oh, wait, 34 posts, OK you're a newbee. Just do a search for GRIFF and you'll come to know him.

Me .... I only got two right now.

Joe
Meeteetse comes and goes but was here in 2003 when I joined the forum. He might well have just missed Griff's posts. He probably doesn't know that this particular .30-30 enthusiast had the cartridge nomen on his big rig! Yep, he's a fan.

:D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The best thing about the 30WCF was that it was chambered in the pre-64 Winchester model 94, the post 64 model 94, and the 336 Marlin for all of these years. Although, I would like to have a Savage 99 chambered for it, but my favorite 99 caliber is the .300 Savage, but I like the idea of being able to shoot the more readily available 30/30 ammo, found in abundance everywhere.

But I have no disire to own a 30/30 in a bolt action or a single shot, however a quick handling double rifle or a really sleek semi-auto might get my attention.

My current 30/30's are:
#1 my favorite a pre-64 Winchester 94 (dead stock with the original semi-buckhorn sight)

#2 a well used Winchester 94 Antlered Game C0MM. (had to replace the cheap post 64 rear sight with a take off open sight from a 95 Browning)

#3 a neat little Winchester 94 Ledgendary Lawman Saddle Ring Carbine with a Williams receiver sight.

#4 Last but not least, a Marlin Comm straight gripped carbine. I though about adding a scope on the Marlin, but it hardly seems worth it, as it would probably end up being no lighter then my Browning BLR, in .308 Win, so why bother?
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I've got the short list right you can buy brand-spankin'-new .30-30s from Marlin, Mossberg, H&R, and Thompson-Center. That's a lot fewer than formerly but you can still get them not to mention all the good guns made in years past.

When I first saw the topic title I was reminded of an old Vietnam War era song... :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I thought Henry was making a 30-30 too?

Had to count mine up, 8 Winchesters and 1 Marlin :shock:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I've got 2 I've enjoyed since day 1...

1 grandfather left me a 99 is 303 Savage - about as close to 30/30 as you can get I suppose... I'll count it. Shoots as steady as I can hold it.

1 grandfather gave me his 336 Marlin in 30/30 (tack driver).
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Meeteetse,

Marlin makes em.
Mossberg makes em.
Henry makes em.
And I believe Winchester will be back at it someday soon, although there's no evidence of that.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Ok, we have: Marlin, T/C, NEF, Henry and Mossberg. Should we include Magnum Research? I just thought about them today.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I guess I'm just a dinosaur. Without Winchester leading the way with the 30/30 and the Mdl. 70 boltgun, I sort of get nostalgic and forget that others also make guns in the calibers I like. When you grow up in the 40's and 50's with nothing but Winchesters, you sort of get a warped sense of things. Never owned another brand until the 70's when I bought a Ruger boltgun cause I didn't think the Winchesters were any good. 10 years ago I bought a Marlin 1894 (44 mag) just because I liked the gun, but those are the only non-Winchester guns I own. Tried a couple of other brands, but didn't keep them.

Somehow NEF, T/C and Magnum Research don't seem to fit in this old cowboys levergun cabinet, but I might have to look at the Henry and the Mossberg. I will admit I like the T/C in other, bigger calibers, but never thought of it as a 30/30 gun. Live and learn I guess.

penates
Levergunner

Post by penates »

The 30wcf is the best all round chamber in a TC Contender. I like them so much I'll probably sell or trade my m94 classic for another one.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey not too worry! If they don't make another .30-30 lever action for 100 years, there's still plenty of them around to satisfy the need! Seems like well over half the Marlins I look at, whether they're 100 years old, or 20 years old, are all .30-30 caliber!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/