Winchester 94 in 25-35 ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 in 25-35 ??

Post by brokenhand »

Thinking about getting one. Anyone use this caliber or any thoughts about it.
Thanks
Jim
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 94 in 25-35 ??

Post by Old Savage »

Mine is quite accurate and has little recoil. Shoots very well with factory Win ammo. A friend's father killed quite a few deer out here with one in his younger days.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Old Savage wrote:Mine is quite accurate and has little recoil. Shoots very well with factory Win ammo.
I have one of the new ones and it is a pleasure to shoot. If you have a line on one BUY IT! I have loaded for it but have not really worked up the perfect load but the thing is just a hoot to shoot. I agree with Old Savage about the factory ammo being accurate too. I am in a position to actually hunt this year and I plan on taking mine to the woods here in Lower Alabama.

Thomas
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The .25-35 is a fun cartridge. I don't get to hunt mine enough.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

264, Check Gunblast.com and do a search on the Win 94 25-35. You will see my rifle and a load that Jeff Quinn worked up for it that he found extremely accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

The second lever gun I ever owned was a 1940 Winchester 94 in 25-35 and I still have it. It is probably my favorite. I have had great luck with factory super-x. I need to load for it but haven't had time lately and, I think it would be difficult to beat the performance of factory.
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Old Savage wrote:264, Check Gunblast.com and do a search on the Win 94 25-35. You will see my rifle and a load that Jeff Quinn worked up for it that he found extremely accurate.
Thank you sir I will take a look at it.
By the way, where are you in the "High Desert"? I spent the last 7 years of my Air Force career at Edwards.

Thomas
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We are in Lancaster, when were you there?

brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

Many thanks for the replies. The one I AM going to buy is also a 1940 carbine.
Jim
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Old Savage wrote:We are in Lancaster, when were you there?
1995 - 2002, best assignment of my career.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The "old family rifle" is a Winchester Model 64 in 25-35 caliber. My grandmother picked it up "for the boys" so they could go deer hunting. It was sitting in a friends shop and she made the deal, he was going to clean it up for her to pick up later. She got home and told the boys she'd bought them a "deer rifle" and they of course wanted to know "What is it?" the obvious answer to which was "A deer rifle!" They razzed her a lot about buying it without knowing what it was. She brought it home with some shells and they commenced to trying it out. She said, "Here, let me try." and they said "Aw, Mom! You don't even know what it is!" but she then proceeded to outshoot them with it. She didn't know what it was - but she knew how to use it! It's an accurate rifle/cartridge combination that at one time or another took every type of game animal in Arizona as well as a lot of non game, and who knows how many tin cans and rocks and what not it has accounted for? My brother took his first white tail with it out in Missouri. It is simply one of the most accurate lever guns I've ever shot. It does OK with factory fodder or even with resized 32 WS shells necked down and loaded with Hornady 117 gr RN bullets over a snort of 4595 (IIRC - don't hold me to the powder - much less the dose) I hope to one day obtain a solid action and a good barrel and have them combined into a 25-35 AI, probably will use a Marlin action for it 'cause I can (horror of horrors) scope it. Or maybe not. Only time will tell. A man has to have goals and that is one that has stuck in my mind for years.

By the way, did I mention I really like the caliber? It's an easy shooting cartridge that won't punish you and is adequate for anything up to deer - and will take larger game in a pinch. It's all about bullet placement and proper bullet selection. Put a good bullet in the right place and down they go. And if your "thing" is punching paper - that ol' rifle will plunk them down in tight little groups that most folks can't accomplish with a scoped rifle - if you know how to shoot it.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Mine is a 1912-era SRC... no recoil, moderate noise and very accurate. In my opinion...every thing a .223 Remington should be but better.
It kills deer pretty well. I like it for coyotes and pasture critters too
I stocked up on Sellior&Beloit 6.5x 52, 117 gr softnosed, rimmed ammo a few years ago... Seems the 23-35 was popular in Europe a few years ago so there is a metric equivalent ammo for the old girl.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

brokenhand wrote:Thinking about getting one. Anyone use this caliber or any thoughts about it.
Thanks
Jim
I have one of the carbines made right before the plant closed up. Fun little cartridge and rifle. Accurate, low on recoil and noise, and I used it to take my first deer last fall. Here's my most recent group shot with that rifle. 6 shots into 7/8" at 50 yards. The four shots outside the group are thanks to me and the rebounding hammer. As soon as I pulled (jerked?) the trigger I knew where the shots went before looking through the spotting scope.

~Michael
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

How did the Sellior&Beloit 6.5x 52, 117 gr softnosed shoot.? I've heard that their ammo was kinda dirty and do they use brass or the steel cases?
Jim
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

brokenhand wrote:How did the Sellior&Beloit 6.5x 52, 117 gr softnosed shoot.? I've heard that their ammo was kinda dirty and do they use brass or the steel cases?
Jim
Brass, and shot well outta my gun. Don't remember it being any dirtier than Winchester ammo or reloads. I put a 13 lb Wolff spring in my gun. That causes problems with Winchester ammo (about 1 or 2 catridges per box) and any reloads with anything other than Federal primers. Never had a problem with S&B going bang. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

~Michael
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have shot the S&B side by side with Winchester... I't seems like good quality stuff.
I have not reloaded the S&B rifle cases yet ...I have reloaded their pistol brass and it seemed pretty good to me.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

Thanks
Jim
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim,

Its just another fun toy by Winchester. Like Old Savage says, "very accurate with little recoil". Its just a "variety thaaaannnnnggggg" , as the bro's would say. You know, something different than the vanilla grade 30-30. I have had a mess of them over the years but only the below SRC and a flatband are left.--------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

The 25-35 is my favorite cartridge in the Model 1894. So far I have a flat band carbine, a SRC and a rifle with 26" oct. bbl.
I feel that it kills deer cleanly with about the same results as the 30-30. I personally like the 117 gr SPCL by Remington which is no longer loaded. You can still find them at gun shows and I've accumulated a nice stash. Recoil is lighter than the 30-30 but it has a pretty loud crack! I'm still looking for a 94 rifle with 26" round barrel so if anyone has one drop me a line.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

kaschi wrote:The 25-35 is my favorite cartridge in the Model 1894. So far I have a flat band carbine, a SRC and a rifle with 26" oct. bbl.
I feel that it kills deer cleanly with about the same results as the 30-30. I personally like the 117 gr SPCL by Remington which is no longer loaded. You can still find them at gun shows and I've accumulated a nice stash. Recoil is lighter than the 30-30 but it has a pretty loud crack! I'm still looking for a 94 rifle with 26" round barrel so if anyone has one drop me a line.
No it's not for sale Kaschi
Just a little eye candy to get the saliva flowin :wink:
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Aw, c'mon Casastahle! That's no fair gettin' a guy's blood pressure up like that! Especially since you live so close to me. If you shot that gem on a quiet night, I could almost hear the report. (I'm up Rt 83 near Harrisburg). Well, let me know if you ever want to give it a new home. There was a nice one on gunbroker I missed last month. It went for $1300.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

kaschi wrote:Aw, c'mon Casastahle! That's no fair gettin' a guy's blood pressure up like that! Especially since you live so close to me. If you shot that gem on a quiet night, I could almost hear the report. (I'm up Rt 83 near Harrisburg). Well, let me know if you ever want to give it a new home. There was a nice one on gunbroker I missed last month. It went for $1300.
So sorry Kaschi for getting your pressure up like that. (believe that I’ll tell yea another one :twisted: )
I sure don’t ever see me selling that little gem of a Winchester in my lifetime.
It is one of the sweetest shooting rifles I have ever owned. (made in 1903)
I just can’t believe the prices there going for now. :shock:
Mine was a gun broker purchase about 6 yrs. ago. $440.00 I thought that
Was a high price to pay then.

Kaschi I will be PM’ing you in the near future.
Going to try and get a lever gun hog hunt set up for sometime after the
First of the year, if you'd be interested. :)
I PM'd Mike Johnson last evening, he's interested as well.

Hunt info.
http://www.mohrswidowmaker.com/index.html

Mohr's Widow-Maker
P.O. Box 103
Bainbridge, PA 17502
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

I picked up that nice carbine made in 1940 this weekend. I hope to be able to shoot it this week some time. Sorry I can't show any pictures, too slow on the dial up.
Jim
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

brokenhand wrote:I picked up that nice carbine made in 1940 this weekend. I hope to be able to shoot it this week some time. Sorry I can't show any pictures, too slow on the dial up.
Jim
Congratulations on you and your new baby, enjoy :D
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

For those reloading the .25-35 what bullets/brass/primers/powders are you using, and what kind of velocities are you getting?

I've been using Win .25-35 brass, Federal LR primers (match and standard), and Hornady 117 gr RN. Powders I've tried and liked have been W760, BL-C(2) and Reloder 15. IIRC, 28 grains of W760 was giving me less velocity than I want (it was under 2100), but shot very well. 26 or 26.5 grains of BL-C(2) gave around 2250 fps and shot very well. I'm at 26 grains of RL 15 right now, and when I chrono it this evening I expect it will be getting close to 2200 fps. RL 15 has been shooting very well too. Would be nice to get up to 2300 fps, but with the 20" barrel, I don't think I'll be able to get there before running out of pressure. Powders I've not liked, H4895 and AA2460. I tried Varget too but results were so poor (loooow velocity) a grain above the start load, I didn't continue with it.

~Michael
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I don’t know the age of your rifle but in my Model 94AE I push the 100-grain Speer JHP to 2,630 fps using Alliant Reloder 10X.
Both Reloder 10X and Reloder 15 will push the 117-grain Hornady above 2,350 fps.

Dr. A started this thread a few years ago. We had a lot of dun comparing notes.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm ... ght=.25-35
Slim
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

william iorg wrote:I don’t know the age of your rifle but in my Model 94AE I push the 100-grain Speer JHP to 2,630 fps using Alliant Reloder 10X.
Both Reloder 10X and Reloder 15 will push the 117-grain Hornady above 2,350 fps.

Dr. A started this thread a few years ago. We had a lot of dun comparing notes.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm ... ght=.25-35
My rifle is a 2005 94AE. And that thread is where I got the idea to try Reloder 15. Primers looked okay at 25.5 grains, will see how 26 looks tonight. I've got a feeling I won't be able to get to 27 though. Haven't tried Reloder 10x yet. I asked Alliant if they plan on ever coming up with some reloading data for the .25-35 with either powder. Of course their answer was "No.". :x

~Michael
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

With the 100-grain bullets I stopped at 26.0 grains. I don’t remember where Dr. A stopped.
Believe it or not it is very hard to beat IMR 4320 in the .25-35 and in the .25-35AI.
Have you tried any 100-grain bullets in your rifle?
Slim
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

william iorg wrote:With the 100-grain bullets I stopped at 26.0 grains. I don’t remember where Dr. A stopped.
Believe it or not it is very hard to beat IMR 4320 in the .25-35 and in the .25-35AI.
Have you tried any 100-grain bullets in your rifle?
Only bullet I've tried other than the 117 gr Hornady is the 87 gr Remington. I've got a Marbles tang sight on the gun, cranked all the way down, and the gun shoots a little high with the 117 gr. It shoots waaaaaay high with the 87 gr. Unless I scope the gun, the 117 gr. is all I can use for the time being.

~Michael
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Mine shot pretty well using the open sights and I went ahead and put a Weaver V-3 on it.
The front sight is pretty tall as issued and I doubt you could get a Sourdough any taller. I’ll look at Brownells today and see. I put a pretty tall Sourdough on my .32 Magnum Marlin as the XS rear sight stands up pretty high.
I had a William guide Receiver sight on my 24” TC barrel and marked the sight base for each weight of bullet once I determined the best load for each bullet weight. This worked pretty well for me as I only used one bullet weight at a time when hunting.
The writing of pre-WW I and in between the wars discussed the problem of changing zero when switching bullet weights. Whelen and Estey used scope sights with micrometer adjustments and they carried a notebook with sight settings for different bullet weights and distances. Whelen of course had a slow twist barrel and he settled on one bullet and load for his chuck hunting.
Kephart and Askins Sr. wrote of using the rifles during different seasons with different loads for different types of game and the requirement for sighting in for the load.
I believe it was Kephart who wrote of good success using the .25-35 on sitting waterfowl at unknown distances.
As you experiment with loads you should post on the loading thread and if you get a chance post a picture of your sight.
Slim
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Back about 1961 I bought a minty 25-35 94 carbine for $25.00. They were not as popular as the 30-30 which ran about $35.00 in those days. I shot three or four deer with it using the 117 Hornady RN over a dose of 4198. It only took one shot for each deer. Nice rifles those!
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

On my 14th birthday (some 35 years ago :shock: ) my Uncle gave me a 1939 Winchester Model 64 in 25-35. Along with it he provided 20 boxes of W-W 117gr FN! The rifle is so accurate I'm not going to explain. But it is the neatest gun I've ever owned, and the most accurate rifle. And I've went through a LOT of rifles!

I've since went through all those 20 boxes many many times over. My load now is using W-W brass and the Hornady 117gr with 24.5 grs 3031. Velocity is a bit over 2200fps. Accuracy is about 1 1/4" at 100 yards. Not as good as the old W-W factory stuff but very good.

I also use a 115gr FN cast bullet by RCBS with 22grs 3031. Accuracy is about 2" at 100 yards and POA is the same. I can shoot 3 of each and end up with a 2" group.

I shot my first deer with this rifle. I hope to shoot my last deer with this rifle. I love it like no other.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have a Model 94 carbine made in 1951 25-35. Very good shooting rifle. I have not hunted with it. I also use the Hornady 117 bullet and IMR 3031. You dont see many around these parts (northeast) it's always the 30-30.
Karl
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

It’s odd that we don’t see very many of the .25-35 and .25 Remington rifles in use or for sale. Kenneth Fuller Lee wrote of the popularity of the .25’s with Guides and Woodsmen in the North East. In Texas the .25-35 and to a lesser extent the .25 Remington were pretty popular. It’s easy to strike up a conversation at the range or gunshow with a rifleman or woman who killed at least their first deer and hog with the .25-35 Winchester or Remington. We see very few nice rifles in either caliber for sale in West Texas so I can only assume their either treasured heirlooms or they are gathering dust in a closet.
Slim
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

william iorg wrote:It’s odd that we don’t see very many of the .25-35 and .25 Remington rifles in use or for sale. Kenneth Fuller Lee wrote of the popularity of the .25’s with Guides and Woodsmen in the North East. In Texas the .25-35 and to a lesser extent the .25 Remington were pretty popular. It’s easy to strike up a conversation at the range or gunshow with a rifleman or woman who killed at least their first deer and hog with the .25-35 Winchester or Remington. We see very few nice rifles in either caliber for sale in West Texas so I can only assume their either treasured heirlooms or they are gathering dust in a closet.
I'd love to find some of them!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

william iorg wrote:It’s odd that we don’t see very many of the .25-35 and .25 Remington rifles in use or for sale. Kenneth Fuller Lee wrote of the popularity of the .25’s with Guides and Woodsmen in the North East. In Texas the .25-35 and to a lesser extent the .25 Remington were pretty popular. It’s easy to strike up a conversation at the range or gunshow with a rifleman or woman who killed at least their first deer and hog with the .25-35 Winchester or Remington. We see very few nice rifles in either caliber for sale in West Texas so I can only assume their either treasured heirlooms or they are gathering dust in a closet.
I say .25-35 in NW PA, and people look at me crooked and think I'm making things up. Though once when I went into a store and bought their last box of ammo a customer there got excited when he heard me say .25-35. "What have you got in that?!" His interest dwindled when I said a new Winchester 94. Musta thought I had an old rifle he could get me to part with cheap. My father mentioned to a friend of his that I have a .25-35 and he got excited too. I think he said he had one when he was a kid. Other than that, everybody scratches their head and says "Huh?" when I say .25-35. .30-30, .32 WS, and a few .35 Rems are it when it comes to leverguns around here.

~Michael
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I alway's figured the 30-30 was more popular here (northeast) because people were only deer hunting and and maybe black bear the 30-30 are probably more effective. However I think the 25-35 is probably a better ranch or have it with you all the time rifle which to me seem's more "out west". I dont know if I knew what would sell I could be working for the manufacturers.
Karl
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think that the 25-35 has a certain romance and charm to it.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

.25-35...is it based on the .30-30 case?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

awp101 wrote:.25-35...is it based on the .30-30 case?
Yes it uses the same basic case. The "family" includes (probably with some unintentional omissions, * items are wildcats)

- .22 Savage Hipower
- .219 Zipper
- .219 Donaldson Wasp*
- .25-35 Winchester
- .25-36 Marlin
- 7-30 Waters
- .30 WCF (.30-30)
- .30 Herrett*
- .32-40
- .32 Winchester Special
- .357 Herrett*
- .35-30*
- .38-55 Winchester/Ballard
- .375 Winchester

and then there are those using the case modified to rimless or semi-rimmed form

- .225 Winchester
- .25 Remington
- .30 Remington
- .32 Remington

And there is a commercial round developed from the .30 Remington, the 6.8mm Remington Special.

Of course many if not most all these have been improved, etc.
Sincerely,

Hobie

brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

This has been a great discussion. I'd never heard of it being used around here where I live, south of the Dallas/Ft worth area. My grandfather used his old SR 30-30 for many years and then he passed it on to me. Great discussion.
Jim
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

brokenhand wrote:This has been a great discussion. I'd never heard of it being used around here where I live, south of the Dallas/Ft worth area. My grandfather used his old SR 30-30 for many years and then he passed it on to me. Great discussion.
Jim
I agree :)
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

J. R. Mattern wrote his Handloading Ammunition book in 1926 and while the .25-35 was still in common use its height of popularity was long past. Mattern suggested the most serviceable loads were those duplicating the .25 Stevens rimfire and the .25-20 standard velocity loads. It was commonly stated in the 1920’s and ‘30’s the high velocity loadings of the “Twenty Twins” tore up too much edible meat. Mattern also suggested that excepting the 100- and 117-grain deer hunting loads the maximum velocity loads were not as desirable as those generating lower pressure and velocity.
Mattern described one of the most useful loads as the 100-grain bullet ahead of 11.0 grains of No. 80 powder. This was his turkey load.
Matterns squirrel load was the same 100-grain bullet ahead of 9.0 grains of No. 80.
An interesting little tidbit about the fast twist .25 caliber barrels is the bullet at 2,550 fps is spinning nearly 26,000 rpm. At 1,400 fps the bullet is spinning about 18,000 rpm. The bullets are stable at low velocity and it is pretty easy to develop an accurate low velocity load.
In the November 1939 issue of the American Rifleman Mr. John G. Schnerring (Proof House Superintendent at the Springfield Armory) wrote an article about his two tight chambered, slow twist .25-35’s. The first rifle built on a Stevens 44 ½ action and the second on a Winchester Model 70 action which weighed in at 12 pounds.
Slim
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Sounds like a fun cartridge :) Might have to aquire one...I don't need another rifle :) The originals are sure getting spendy...
Semper Fi
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

william iorg wrote: Both Reloder 10X and Reloder 15 will push the 117-grain Hornady above 2,350 fps.
What weather conditions were you dealing with? Going from 25 to 26.5 grains of RL15, I've stayed right around 2200 fps. I've paid attention to the primers, and pressure is going up, though everything still looks safe. I've got 10 rounds loaded up with 27 grains to chrono this evening. If things stay the same, I'm going to put the gun away until the middle of October, and start over again with weather closer to what I'm going to see during hunting season.

For the most part I've been shooting on humid, sunny, 60 to 70 degree days, and my town is at 1128 ft elevation.

Accuracy has been hit or miss thanks to me. :oops:

~Michael
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I am setting about 2,000 feet.
In October of last year I shot some Alliant Reloder 10 loads across the chronograph and 26.0 grains gave me 2,650 fps. I was using Winchester brass and Federal lr primers.

Another very good load was 28.0 grains of Hodgdon 4895 which gave me 2,570 fps also using Winchester cases.

I use Lee dies and have been satisfied with the crimp from the seating die but I crimp separately from bullet seating.
The above loads use the Speer JHP hollow point bullet seated to 2.550”.

I have used both .30-30 and .375 Winchester cases and I have not seen any significant benefit to using these alternate cases.

What bullet were you using?
Slim
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

william iorg wrote: What bullet were you using?
117 gr RN.

~Michael
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Yes, lost my mind, I was answering an e-mail at the same time. Snow from Australia and I have been discussing the same topic on the .25-35 and the .25-35AI.

For the 117-grain bullets

I have chronographed the 117 grain Hornady bullets quite a bit.
During December I chronographed a load of 27.0 grains of Alliant Reloder 15 and got 2,349 fps.
In January the same load chronographed 2,320 fps.
Both loads using Winchester brass and Federal primers. I don’t have my notes in fromnt of me but the same load in the summer gave a little higher velocity.

Shooting alliant Reloder 10 in the same time frame, a 23.0 grain load gave me 2,308 fps and a 23.5 grain load gave 2,320 fps. I considered either load as my practical maximum. I found Reloder 10 to be a little more sensitive to hot days and I got above 2,400 fps on hot summer days with the same load. I had no alarming visual indications when shooting these loads in summer.

I have never experienced any extraction difficulty with the Model 94AE. I believe it is a fine rifle.

I had to go back and edit this twice. Its best for me to talk about one bullet weight at a time.
Slim
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

william iorg wrote: I have chronographed the 117 grain Hornady bullets quite a bit.
During December I chronographed a load of 27.0 grains of Alliant Reloder 15 and got 2,349 fps.
In January the same load chronographed 2,320 fps.
Chronoed loads with 27 grains of RL15 this evening, and got velocities just under 2300 fps (2270-2290). Looks like it's getting close to a max load for the gun. Could probably push it a little more, but there's no need to.

I managed to put seven shots together in a group that measured between 3/4" and 7/8" at 50 yards. First shot was high, second was lower, third was lower, four and five lower and right together. Took a break, and made myself take my time on shots six through ten and put them right together with shots four and five. I'd like to call the first three shots fouling shots, but they were more like "hey buddy, get your head outta your butt" shots.

~Michael
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I try to set my start screen at 15 feet. How far out is your start screen?

It sure is hard to handle the rifle in recoil the same way every time. Even a light kicker like the Bee or .25-35 requires a good bit of concentration and I often fail...
Slim