Need a Sanity Check-39A-DL

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Premo
Levergunner

Need a Sanity Check-39A-DL

Post by Premo »

I have an opportunity to purchase a Marlin 39A-DL, 1961, from the original owner's family. From the pictures that were sent to me, I have determined that the barrel has some rust and the left side of the receiver has some flecking, approximately 60-75% blueing(just a guess based on limited info). The gun has been sitting for approximately 15 years.

I realize few A-DL’s were made from 1961-63 and I would like to add one to my collection.

1st question--How much value is lost to the degraded blueing?
2nd question—How much will I devalue it if I have Marlin do a re-blue?

Since I started buying Marlins earlier this year, I have purchased 12, but none with this type of rust/ flecking. All others, from 1948-78, had good blueing and wood. Do not know how to value this one. Sorry no photo’s.

FP
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Need a Sanity Check-39A-DL

Post by Blaine »

Regardless of how it looks, I'll bet it's a good shooter. They almost always are, unless the bore is stuff. It sounds ugly, so I'd offer 150.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

If the bore looks good, do like Blaine said, but be ready to go as high as $200.00 if you have too do it.

Take it to the range for test firing, and if it shoots as good as most M-39A's keep looking for a pretty rifle for you collection and use the ugly M-39 for a rainy day squirrel gun.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The minute it had rust the collectors value is gone. Price accordingly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

A Marlin factory reblue would actually help it from it's current condition. You will have a record of a "factory reblue".

If it's surface pitting vs just some surface rust, then you have some good negotiating power. Surface "color" comes off easy.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you get it for 175 or less and don't like it, give me a buzz :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV