Overall Cartridge Length

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Overall Cartridge Length

Post by Slick13 »

How important do you find this measurement when it comes to loading accurate ammo?

I'm starting to reload for my M1903A3 and have found it has a throat that is a little on the long side. Right now I'm going with the max for .30-06 (3.34"), but if I'm not cycling ammo out of the magazine, I could probably load the cartridges at least several thousandths of an inch longer than that before they touch the lands.

~Michael
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It can be very important to functioning in some guns and consistency can be important in all guns. In your case, a functioning COL MIGHT be over riding a better seating depth.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

NOT CYCLING THE AMMUNITION THROUGH THE MAGAZINE IS A GOOD WAY TO BREAK THE EXTRACTOR IN ANY MAUSER TYPE ACTION, WHICH OF COURSE THE '03 SPRINGFIELD ACTION IS.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Terry Murbach wrote:NOT CYCLING THE AMMUNITION THROUGH THE MAGAZINE IS A GOOD WAY TO BREAK THE EXTRACTOR IN ANY MAUSER TYPE ACTION, WHICH OF COURSE THE '03 SPRINGFIELD ACTION IS.
Thanks, I was wondering about that. In the military manual I have for the 03A3 it mentions loading 5 in the magazine and one directly into the chamber, and I wondered how good of an idea that was.

~Michael