Trophy Values?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Trophy Values?

Post by Comal Forge »

My wife has been friends with an older couple since her childhood; the husband went to Africa many times on safari. He passed away recently after a long illness and his widow is currently disposing of his possessions (unfortunately, the guns are already gone). She has 18-20 trophies of all types and about half are exotics - gazelle, kudu, zebra, etc. These are all head and shoulder mounts or rugs. I have not seen them but could probably get an inventory and maybe some pics if necessary.

She is trying to determine whether there is any type of market for these items and/or where to auction them. Of course, I suppose donating to the local museum is always a possibility but she is not in great shape financially and would like to get something for them. I am not personally interested in being a broker but would appreciate any suggestions to her if anyone has ideas on the subject.

Thanks, Hollis
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Trophy Values?

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I would think that big chain stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Sportsmans Warehouse might be interested. I saw a guy on a hunting show a few weeks ago and all he did was supply the stores with mounted animals before they have a Grand Opening. Don't know who you would call, but that's where I'd start.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Thanks, I'll pass on the leads to her.
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Many people and businesses value there products too much. The actual selling prices I have seen are considerably less than the examples listed. Many older mounts that I have seen at auction were in poor to fair condition. I do not know the laws regarding the sale and transport of mounted game, but there may be special laws or permits for selling certain species mounts.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

$3,360? Wilber!

There is a market for these - mostly businesses and restaurants I'd reckon.

I can't see spending a dime on one for myself - the only mounts (I like to call em mounts - my wife says "dead heads") that I display are results of my or my family's efforts. Otherwise, what's the point?

I guess a wealthy individual might want to create a "look" in a vacation home but that's beyond my means and desires frankly.

The now deceased hunter is probably rolling over in his grave - wishing he'd put these in his will. Mine will hopefully be taken by my kids and be considered to have some sentimental value...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If you can provide a list of animals and the type of mount I have a customer base for this type of stuff and I would be happy to help.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
spencer516
Levergunner 1.0

Post by spencer516 »

There are several people on :
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php

You might also ask her to talk to the taxidermist that did the work. Sometimes these guys know people that are looking for mounts.

Take care,
Tom
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I heard that rack mounts are in vogue for yuppie lofts these days, especially the skull with antlers mount.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I'll find out what they are and try to post some pics. 86er, I'll PM you once I obtain an inventory and discuss it with her. Thx, H