Which gun to pull...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chick Brewster
Levergunner

Which gun to pull...?

Post by Chick Brewster »

It's late at night and the crickets have been chirpin' all night long.... you've just about dozed off when a loud crash and gun shots are heard coming from the front of your home.

So do we A) roll out of bed and quietly grab my trusty (_fill_in_the_blank_) to reconnoiter the situation? or do we B) dial 911?

I chose A rolled out of bed and quietly grabbed my trusty 9 shot Moss 590 to reconnoiter the situation. My wife chose B... :roll: 8)

Turns out it was the folks next door just having another one of their domestic disputes before Christmas... hope they like what my wife got them.
:lol: :lol:

GEEZUZ .... some people
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sounds likeyou both had the right response.

Both (A) & (B) were warranted.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is what my 20gauge coach gun is for. :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The model 19 between the mattress and the surefire from the nightstand. Send the wife to the walk in closet to call 911 and sit with the 12 ga.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I get the gun wife gets the phone. I get my daughter, she will already have my son. Put family in safe place and secure the area.

Johnny
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

Both

I grab a 1911, wife get's the phone then waits with her GP100.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I grab for the Kimber 1911 that is under the second pillow, with two clips, and atake my cell phone and 4D cell maglight and see whats going on!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

Hey Chick...just noticed you are from Arizona also!

Sorry for waking up you and the Mrs. last night. We'll try to keep it down from now on.

BTW...what did you get us for Christmas?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

mmm, sounds like the neighborhood that caused my daughter to move to the country.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Springfield XD45 and Rem 870 police. Pelican LED is also going
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The S&W M28 goes to find out the trouble. 911 is for filling out paperwork and taking pictures.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I had this experience. This is what actually happened to me and what I actually did.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Hang on... I'll be there in a coupla minutes... missus rings the cops, gathers the kids and cudgel while I get the safe keys, release my .357mag revolver, some ammo, load her up, grab the torch and hope nothing detramental to us has occurred. :roll:

Life's good here in Oz.

Mucus
Last edited by mad mucus on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

AR-15 M4 w/ 30 rd. Mag. & red dot sight.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

If I am home alone, I am going to grab my SA 45 and my 92 45, secure the area and go to investigate. If family is there with me, same actions except I am going to stay close to protect them, anyone outside is on their own. Sorry, family comes first.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Chick Brewster
Levergunner

Post by Chick Brewster »

JoeArizona wrote:Hey Chick...just noticed you are from Arizona also!

Sorry for waking up you and the Mrs. last night. We'll try to keep it down from now on.

BTW...what did you get us for Christmas?
We got ya matching lever guns... come get'em around mid-night! :lol:

-cb-
Chick Brewster
Levergunner

Post by Chick Brewster »

Hobie wrote:I had this experience. This is what actually happened to me and what I actually did.
Holy Sheit... that kid could have been toast... so many times! You handled yourself quite well IMHO.

-cb-
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

mil spec 45. 230gr.ranger hollowpoint. goodbye
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If I hear shooting I try to figure what's the reason for the nieghbors party and why wasn't I invited.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

This has happened to me three times so far.

#1&2 Just married ( the first time) still in college, our first house is not in the best neighborhood. Twice at 2or 3am some "dude" is banging on the front door. Went to the door w/ a Ruger P89 and the MRS. is backing me up w/ a Rem 870 12 ga. Calling the police would have been a waste of time in that city. Time to move to the country.

#3 14 years later. Just Re-married in a new house, nice small quiet town. About 2 am the alarm goes off. I Get up grab my Glock 19 w/ a Surefire light on it and the phone. I go to hand the phone to my wife and she's already running out the bedroom door. Nothing but her pjs. What the _____? i got downstairs and she's standing in the kitchen in a total panic jumping up and down. The alarm is still going off and the security co. is already calling.
i answered the phone, turned off the alarm and headed off the local PD that were already on the way. ( Love small towns!).

One of the doors wasn't closed all the way and the wind blew it opened!

I asked her what she would have done if there had been someone in the house and why was it that the kids did what they were supposed to do. (Stay in your room until I come and get you). She was supposed to take the phone and call if something bad happened.

We've gone over the plan several times since then!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I once saw a shirt that said:

"If assaulted, don't wait for '911' -

1-911 is faster, and it's not long distance:"

A nice image of a 1911 Colt was printed on the shirt below the text.

With livestock, coyotes, chickens, possums, and the occasional drugged up loser who crashes their car and comes for help at 2 am, we have to tailor the response accordingly, but with 'shots fired' I believe I would be accompanied by Mr. Bushmaster, and my son by Mr. Mossberg, with Mr. Ruger to accompany the wife, should she need ANY weapon beyond her piercing gaze and razor-edged tongue.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I grab the M4 and light then secure door, she goes to safe room which has emergency supplies and calls for help.

Having a local police responce time of 45 minutes to one hour, we would either have to fight it out ourselves or escape to safety.

Luckily the long hall to the bedroom is easily defendable, like the tunnel of death at Thunder Ranch. :D

I just hope I'm not on the can if someone breaks in...
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I will let the Big Black Dog handle it and I, (being awake) will grab the trusty........

Wife.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Take whatever action that seems reasonable and prudent, call 911, save responding officer the necessity of having to do anything more than paperwork if necessary. 8)
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Ruger Blackhawk 357 laoded with "double strike" two ball 38 special ammo, and 125 gr hollowpoints loaded HOT in staggered fashion in the cylinder, a 200lb. St. Bernard who's bark is scarry enough, and a 4AA Maglight, Mrs. is in the bed room with my "turkey gun" Remington 870 Express Magnum, with Speed feed pistol grip stock and a magazine extension, stoked with 8 Federal 00 buck low recoils, and if that doesn't settle it my Vulcan Arms AR with a red dot and 40 rounds of 55gr Ballistic Silvertip ammo. In the Living room (we often fall asleep on the couch) is a Colt Delta Elite 10mm with a 10 round mag hanging out the bottom sleeping in the end table.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Chick Brewster wrote:
Hobie wrote:I had this experience. This is what actually happened to me and what I actually did.
Holy Sheit... that kid could have been toast... so many times! You handled yourself quite well IMHO.

-cb-
Thank you. This is the 5th or 6th time I didn't kill anyone. Very good feeling.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

We just had a homeowner killed here -- shot in the face/neck area (shotgun?) by a person attempting to break into his house. He was apparently attempting to stop the break-in and was shot right by his front door. BAD tactics. If he'd just taken up a good defensive position and called 911, he would almost certainly be alive right now. In the case of what appears to be a home invasion, etc. I'd prefer to situate myself behind whatever concealment I could get, between the threat and my loved ones, and then let the threat come to me. Much safer than making noise, letting them know you are there, and letting THEM set up to ambush YOU...

John
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sadly I have no guns that are kept "ready". I would love a SxS and a wheel-gun in .357 to keep next to me though. :oops:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

We had a run in with some squatters about two years ago.

From then on, we DO NOT inspect 'outside noises'. The cars are in view of the house, spot lights are aimed at possible entry points into the yard, and flood lights are everywhere else.

It is too easy to walk into ambush by just stepping outside. Who knows what is waiting for you behind the door.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

which gun to pull

Post by rjohns94 »

Sig 220 .45acp with tactical light and laser, and My great dane stays upstairs with spousal unit and 870.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

WOW! Hobie, that was a good educational piece of reading. Way to stay calm, and cool. I think my wife and I need to come up with the same kind of plan.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wake up wife - she calls 911.

Collect my 1911 and go get the kids.

Meet back in the bedroom, they wait in the closet with the FIE "Brute" (12 gauge, double-barrel 18.5-inches loading with 00 buck.

Next would depend on whether noise is now in the house. Personally I like the idea of defending the family from two different angles - makes it harder on the bad guys!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I just hope I'm not on the can if someone breaks in...
I keep a handgun in the bathroom for this exact situation. It lives there. Next to the razor and deoderant..,

Grizz
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh, the stories... but for a little comic relief from the other side:

It was Sept, 1982, I'd shot a nice Coastal Blacktail forked-horn about 0930 of opening morning. How I came to shoot that deer is another story. I took until about 1330 hrs to drag the little buck up outta the canyon to the road and my waiting Blazer. It was about 95 degrees by then, so I skinned him out right there. (Had already gutted back @ the kill site.) By the time I got the carcass wrapped in cheese cloth, in the icechest and myself a little cleaned up a couple of hours had passed. Ended up driving the long way home as that direction has the nearer of two ranger stations where I could get my tag countersigned. But, they were closed up by the time I came off the mountain.

So, to plan B... drop in at the firehouse, get one of the firemen to countersign. No problem, except the new girl that came out with the LT, upchucked on my tailgate. Apparently she'd never seen raw meat before.

Well, all the formalities completed, I headed home and the waiting refrigerator to chill the meat a little more. Arrived home about 8 in the evening. Wife insisted I clean up before eating and I wanted to eat before I went about the boning process. So into the refrig went the whole carcass.

It was around 11 pm by the time I'd finished cleaning up, ate, and unpacked all the hunting gear. I went out to the garage and using a lightweight block and tackle, hung the carcass from the rafters in the garage, head up.

I'd been at work boning the carcass for about an hour and half and only had one shoulder and the neck to go, when I heard a car door outside. Since I had about 9 flourescent fixtures in the garage it was bright as day in the garage, but quite dark outside. I put the knife down and was headed toward my reloading bench when one of the local boys in blue walked up the driveway. I stepped away from the bench, leaving plenty of space between me and the 1911 on the bench. The officer asked, "mind if I come in?"

I had no objections, and as he walked into the garage he craned his neck up to see how the carcass was attached to the rafters. Then he looked at me and with a huge grin, said, "Oh, it's a deer you're butchering!"

I musta looked a little "blank", as he went on to add, that "someone" had reported you were butchering your wife!" That's when I noticed the other two officers standing back a little with their guns drawn!

So... if you're gonna butcher your venison in the garage, CLOSE THE DOOR!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

#1. Hope my dogs don't eat 'em all up...before

#2. I git there with my stubby 870 in one hand and my M1 carbine in the other.

#3. Hope my young'uns don't just wound 'em with their .30-30's.

#4, Figure out how they got past all the anti visitor stuff I have bordering my perimeter. Heck the 50Kv perimeter shield should of incapacitated 'em.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Thats a good one Griff :D
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Good one, Griff!

Here in the Atlanta suburbs, we have a nice and quiet neighborhood. However, once while I was on my way from work at around 11PM, my wfe called to tell me that someone was trying the doorknob on the front porch.
She heard them run off when she turned all the lights on.

Sadly, this is common: some creep decides to look in windows around Christmas time and "try" doors to see if he can slip in, steal and slip out.
She had already called 911 as soon as she heard it, and was sitting on the couch with her pistol and the phone.

One night a few months later, we heard someone kick the side of the house, so I turned on all the lights outside and went exploring. I had the little .22 and that's when I decided to go and get something bigger.

Fast-forward to today, and wife keeps her phone on the bedside table. I keep a Ruger BH in .357mag on mine, loaded with 125gr JHP. If anything happens, she is to call 911, and I go to the stairs with gun in hand to bar any entry to either out daughter's room or ours. I feel good knowing that if some maggot kicked in my door, he'll be recieving a hot lead injection pretty darn quickly.
I pity the fool.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:...I had no objections, and as he walked into the garage he craned his neck up to see how the carcass was attached to the rafters. Then he looked at me and with a huge grin, said, "Oh, it's a deer you're butchering!"

I musta looked a little "blank", as he went on to add, that "someone" had reported you were butchering your wife!" That's when I noticed the other two officers standing back a little with their guns drawn!

Repeat of my "Bob the Butcher" story from my Nov. butchering session...

You know your wife just doesn't get the "whole picture" when you are on the telephone while butchering a deer and you hear her say:

"You did NOT just tell that telemarketer that you were dismembering a body... !"

True story (from last night)

You should have heard it.

(East Asian guy) "Hello, May I speak with the person who handles your Gas account?"

(Me) "Sorry, I can't talk righ now. I'm a little busy dismembering a body."

(East Asian guy) Weird choked silence

(Me) "Click"

Shortly thereafter (it's now dark), one of the local Brothers came traipsing through my back yard on his way from Project A to Project B. He's talking on his cell as he walks past me, on my deck, with blood on my shirt, Hatchet in one hand, Rib Cage in the other. :shock:

I'm glad I know the SWAT Capitan... :D
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
john4me05
Levergunner

Post by john4me05 »

I take option A and let the wife have option B.. 1 child sleeps with us and i retrieve the other child and take her to our room... Lock the door on the way back out of the room to clear the hosue.. The wife meanwhile gets kids and climbs under the bed and calls 911
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

Winchester 94 "Trails End" in 45 Colt stands ready.
john4me05
Levergunner

Post by john4me05 »

Ohh my bed gun a hipoint C9 with extended mag... It is hidden form sight behind the headboard but easilly in reach of me and my youngun only sleeps in there.. Door is shut when she is playing...
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I first call the police then grab the Remington 870 with extended mag and Surefire light attatched. 1st round is # 7 1/2 birdshot, subsequent rounds 000 buck! I get their attention real quick when I rack the slide and then blind them with the Surefire. They comply VERY quickly!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I may not be allowed to have a "bed gun" any more after POTUS signs the NRA's HR2640.

I guess I just get to die.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chick Brewster
Levergunner

UPDATE.....

Post by Chick Brewster »

Got home this afternoon to find the three policemen at my wonderful neighbors house... I haven't found out the story yet but I'm sure it's the same old stuff that started this post.

-cb-
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I chose A rolled out of bed and quietly grabbed my trusty 9 shot Moss 590 to reconnoiter the situation. My wife chose B...
Got the same weapon, I put in the time to feel proficient with it.
A good choice.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Chick,
We do the same thing as you! I go get my gun, and the wife calls 911! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I'd tuck my 10mm delta elite in my pants..then grab the pepper spray and a framing hammer......of course by this time one or all of my 4 big dogs will have there mouths full...so I only get whats left....folks usually back away from my door when my labs start barking..so I'm not to worried about break-ins....
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I grab my 1911 off the night stand and Maglite, the wife dials 911. It's my department that will be responding, possibly with State Patrol too as I live in the country. In general unless it's light enough outside to see I'll stay inside and wait for backup. There's too many places outside for mopes to hide and ambush me as they'd have the advantage.

P.S. There's a Glock 17 lying next to the 1911 and a S&W 649 in 357 in the drawer (it's my BUG).
Old Law Dawg
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

Back in '92 or thereabouts a latenight drunk took a wrong turn off the mainstreet and into our neighborhood. After bouncing off several of the neighbors cars parked out on the street the aforementioned drunk comes to a halt in my front lawn about two feet from my bedroom window with headlights lighting up our bedroom interior.

I rolled out of bed and grabbed my Detonics .45ACP. My wife grabbed her Colt .380 and the phone and called the cops from the bathroom located on the backside of the house and away from the situation.

By the time I actually got out of the house after making sure things were what they appeared (a drunk and not a squad of jack booted BATF agents) the drunk had backed up and sped on down the street. The cops arrived several minutes later (cops are never around when you need them) to take statements from me, the wife and neighbors. The cops took notice of me holding my firearm the entire time since I was only wearing a pair of Nike shorts and wasn't really able to stow my piece without it dragging them to my ankles (which would have resulted in showing the neighbor ladies my best attribute) :lol:

Cops picked the guy up a few miles away. Fortunately he only damaged some parked cars and didn't kill any innocents.