OT - AR dented case question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - AR dented case question

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I bought a Bushmaster Varminter a couple of elections back (after reading a review on GunBlast.com) and I've probably put less than 100 rounds thru it since. It is one of the few calibers that I own that I do not reload for. The reason for not reloading, is when it ejects a case, the case hits the deflector on the way out and puts a dent in the case. It's not a huge dent, but something I don't feel completely safe reloading.

So, here's my question: What can I do to keep this rifle from denting cases when it ejects?

Can I simply put some squishy material on the deflector, or is there some proven method of fixing it. Is this a common problem among AR's.?

Anyhow, I'd like to start reloading for it, but not if it's going to ruin all my cases.

:?:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - AR dented case question

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Not seeing your dented brass, I can't say for sure, but normally, the dents iron out enough in resizing that they are not a functional problem.

You can put something squishy on the deflector - yes that will usually prevent the dent - it's easy to see where to apply this as there are brass marks.

Further, you can get a brass catcher - which also collects your brass for you while you shoot - but it's a clunky thing that you have to put up with while shooting....

I personally don't worry about the dents as they've never caused me any troubles in handloads...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

deerwhacker,

A pal of mine put a piece of inner tube on the deflector nub with a drop of crazy glue.
Like you, he hates to see dents in his brass.
The rubber does tend to make the brass fly further though.

Jack
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

boing! :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Can the ejector spring be shortened by a coil or so on an AR bolt to reduce the enthusiasm of the throw?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

deerwhacker444 wrote:I bought a Bushmaster Varminter a couple of elections back (after reading a review on GunBlast.com) and I've probably put less than 100 rounds thru it since. It is one of the few calibers that I own that I do not reload for. The reason for not reloading, is when it ejects a case, the case hits the deflector on the way out and puts a dent in the case. It's not a huge dent, but something I don't feel completely safe reloading.

So, here's my question: What can I do to keep this rifle from denting cases when it ejects?

Can I simply put some squishy material on the deflector, or is there some proven method of fixing it. Is this a common problem among AR's.?

Anyhow, I'd like to start reloading for it, but not if it's going to ruin all my cases.

:?:

I have reloaded plenty of dented brass . Some how , the pressure seems to iron out the dents .

One thing to consider , if you reload , you can scale back the powder a tad & it may reduce dents ?

Or buy a spare ejector spring and try cutting a 1/2 coil at a time from it & see if it changes anything ?

God bless
wyr
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Is that a common thing for all AR's? I just got one and am going to take it out tomorrow. Should I put some cusion on from the start?
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've not seen YOUR cases but this is generally a NON-ISSUE.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson