Uberti 1873 45 Colt Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Uberti 1873 45 Colt Question

Post by Bruce »

I stopped by my local gun store yesterday to watch the crowds parting with their money, and believe me they were. While I was there, it was decided that I also would join in with the crowd, but I kept my money and parted with an AR15 and a 336 that I have not been shooting. I came home with a new Uberti 1873 carbine in 45 Colt and a new Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt, along with a whole bunch on 45 Colt ammunition. I have been wanting to get a combo pair for a while and the 45 was on the top of my list.

My intended purpose for both will be to carry them as a truck gun and general plinking. I will do all my hunting with a Marlin 308MXLR, but may (will) have an opportunity during the off season (summer) to occassionaly take a hog. My question is - what factory ammo (load) can safely and repeatedly be used in the 1873 that will also suffice for a close range (+-50 yard) hog hunting round? The same round will also be used in the Ruger revolver.

The ammo I got with them is a variety (many boxes) of 250 grain lead rounds from Black Hills, Magtech and Ultramax. I also got one box of Corbon 200 gn. +P, but I know not to shoot that in the 1873 and probably won't shoot it in the Ruger either. It came with the deal, so I brought it home.

I will probably start back reloading in the future and 1873 compatible 45 Colt hunting round data would also be appreciated. I do not intend to start casting my on bullets any time soon as I have enough hobies/projects going to keep me more than busy. Your experiences with the commercially available lead bullets would also be appreciated.

I have not slugged either guns barrel yet, but I am hoping that they are close enough to allow for ammo capatability.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti 1873 45 Colt Question

Post by 20cows »

Though I have zero experience with any factory 45 Colt ammo, I would think any standard 250 gr. load would fit your needs. I don't know how the new Vaquero holds up to hot stuff like the Corbon (as opposed to the older larger framed version), but I don't think I'd put the Corbon ammo through the Uberti '73.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce,

I've not had the pleasure to shoot an Uberti 73 .... yet. But I have used some of the Black Hills .45 Colt 255 gr ammo, and it is very good. I have shot the BH ammo side by side with the R-P standard factory ammo and it was indistinguishable. Since the BH ammo has the better meplat that's what I'd suggest.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow, two things I haven't read lately... you SOLD your AR-15 and you're using your Uberti 1873 as a truck gun.... wow.

You are definately on your own path my friend. 8)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I have used these in the past with some success as a plinking bullet in my Ruger 45 LC and Puma 1892 in 45 colt.

http://www.laser-cast.com/45Cal.html

6 grains of Titegroup with the 250 gr. RNFP and you have a very mild load to plink with.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you got a "New Vaquero" as opposed to the older "Vaquero I wouldn't use the +P ammo in it anymor than I would in the '73 or a Colt. Trade it off to someone w/a '92 or the original Vaquero. As far as ammo for 50yd shots forpigs & such.. any should do.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Good Question in regards to the New Vaquero. I have one that was gone through by Clements and I was very concerned about max loads. I searched the net extensively and the best load I found is a Mt Baldy 270 SAA (285gr) being pushed by 9gr of Unique. I shoot this often with no problems. It is the hottest published load for the New Vaquero I found. Do not shoot "Ruger Only" loads through a New Vaquero, those loads are safe in a Blackhawk or original Vaquero not the New Vaquero.

Dave
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Don't anyone blow a brain-gasket over this... I load my .45 Colt cal. Uberti '73 AND my Uberti/Beretta Sixguns with the Laser-Cast 250gr bullet (sized .454") crimped over 22.0 gr. H-4198, lit by CCI Large Pistol Magnum Primers. The load gives me right at 1400 fps from the 24" barrel of the '73, and just over 1100 fps from the 7 1/2" revolvers. Have not clocked it from anything shorter in either configuration. The '73 has a fairly tight - but consistant - barrel with a .451" Groove Dia., as do the revolvers.

Someone on the WWW once had a tizzy-fit over the fact that I was employing a RIFLE powder in a REVOLVER cartridge and that certain and gruesome death and destruction were to be my immediate reward... :o Not so, dear readers. The powder has a very long, low pressure curve when used in large-bore, straight-wall cases, behind normal-for-caliber bullet weights.

As always, start a bit lower and work up...

Your mileage may vary...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buck,

Welcome to the forum.

There are several guys here who have been doing the same thing and reporting it on a regular basis.
Here is one of the threads: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7793

It would be interesting to run that load of yours through a pressure test gun and see just what it does.

For my curiosity what kind of a fire ball do you get from the revolver with all that slow burning powder?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BwanaDave wrote:Good Question in regards to the New Vaquero. I have one that was gone through by Clements and I was very concerned about max loads. I searched the net extensively and the best load I found is a Mt Baldy 270 SAA (285gr) being pushed by 9gr of Unique. I shoot this often with no problems. It is the hottest published load for the New Vaquero I found. Do not shoot "Ruger Only" loads through a New Vaquero, those loads are safe in a Blackhawk or original Vaquero not the New Vaquero.

Dave
That load was safe in my New Vaquero .45, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Guys, thanks for the responses so far. I have already traded off the 20 rounds of Corbon for another 50 round box of the Magtech.

O.S.O.K, yea I am probably on my own path, but after a lengthy law enforcement career I have developed a few opinions. Bigger bullets stop things better than small bullets. Hits count more than misses. High capacity magazines seem to urge the shooter to do strange things when under stress. If it does not have a manual safety, then you won't forget to disengage it when under stress. Now don't flog me too hard, those are just my opinons. :lol: Besides all that, the AR went for a lot more than I had in it.

I was able to put some test rounds through the 73 yesterday and here are my observations. Slick, mild and fun. I will not be able to test the accuracy for a few days. There is one down side and I had read about it before and had forgotten. There is a good market for after market "hardened" replacement screws for the rifle. The reason, they are so soft and seem to be welded in place. Even with the proper srew driver bit, I am unable to remove any screw except for the two butt stock screws. Even though I was extremely carefull, my first attempt at removing the front barrel band screw resulted in me buggering the screw head.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

You aren't the Lone Ranger in your choice of a lever for a truck gun (especially on THIS board :lol: ). Mine is a trapper Winchester 94 in .38-55.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

J Miller wrote:Buck,

Welcome to the forum.

There are several guys here who have been doing the same thing and reporting it on a regular basis.
Here is one of the threads: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7793

It would be interesting to run that load of yours through a pressure test gun and see just what it does.

For my curiosity what kind of a fire ball do you get from the revolver with all that slow burning powder?

Joe
Thanks for the Welcome, Joe... I have been a member of this board almost since its inception -- just been away from it for a while, as happens now & then. Sometimes there isn't much goin' on here that really holds my interest, so I lurk in the shadows a bit, 'til things get back on track.

Funny how a fella can be around and contribute a few hundred posts, and then things crash or get crazy -- then get "cleaned up" -- then all the history goes away...

As for the "fireball..." there isn't as much flash as you probably imagine, because pressures and flame tempuratues are kept pretty low. There will be some residue from deterrent coating, but very few "unburned" powder granules...

FYI, I chose the .454" dia. bullets to keep my revolvers clean & honest. Their chamber throats are cut to the high side of the tolerance line...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Buck, Yep I member You from about 7 years ago. :shock: .Glad to See Your still Shootin. :D .Jim.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I wasn't making a comment about a levergun for a truck gun or anything else about the levergun - just that he was using such a nice model for the task. Truck guns are usually more reasonably priced rifles that see some rough use. I would think more like a well used winchester or marlin or even a surplus 8mm mauser or perhaps an enfield.

Maybe I'm misconstruing the term "truck gun".

I keep a kel-tec sub 2000 in my jeep - its well protected and does not see rough use. It's there for one reason and one reason only - insurance should I get caught in a pickle while on the road.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The fruits of a truck gun when opportunity knocks!

And my truck gun is purty, too!

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

O.S.O.K, 20Cows uses his truck gun for what I intend for mine. For bad people or things as such, I have something else in the truck that makes holes also.

The cost was not a factor this time, as I traded into it. If I were going to outright purchase one for that purpose, I agree there would be better (cheaper) choices. Also, I am a cleaning fanatic and baby all my guns, so it should not get all beat up.

I wish I had it sighted in with the right loads as today starts our seven day antlerless deer season and I have quite a few older does hanging around my stands.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

You can obtain hardened 66 & 73 screws from VTI to replace the soft factory originals.

Denis
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Denis,

Already got them and installed them. Much better now.