Humting with Artillery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Humting with Artillery

Post by Doc Hudson »

It is all my fault and I apologize for derailing the topic on the neat old .219 Zipper that Jarhead started.

Then someone mentioned wishing they could find cannister rounds which reminded me of a neat story about deer hunting with a 12-pdr Mountain Howitzer.

In addition to the hunting story, you can also find links to the story of how the 12-pdr Mountain Howitzer was built.

Enjoy the story.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Humting with Artillery

Post by crs »

:) :) :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've seen that before, but it's still entertaining! :lol:
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a good friend in Michigan who collects field artillery. He's really going to like this article - thanks for sharing it! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There was a lot of "flak" over this article the last time it was brought to the forum. Still, it is pretty much like using a large shotgun, better perhaps because each "shot" is full musket caliber rather than .36"... One thing for certain, it demonstrates how effective those artillery pieces were on Civil War battlefields. Doc, your ancestors and mine had to have some intestinal fortitude to go up against those things!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

And I thought lugging around an original Winchester Model '76 with a full octagon 28" barrel was heavy going .....
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not sure you could do that here in Fla. IIRC the limit of bore size is a 10 ga. but that might be for waterfowl. Makes me wish I had my G,G, Granddaddy's punt gun. He was a market hunter on the Chesapeake Bay. I still have his old ML double that he used for chasing down cripples.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

In regards to punt guns read Michner's Chesapeak.

My son just got back from Thailand and he told me about his visit to Cambodia where for a fee tourists shoot cows with RPGs. Instant hamburger. Not something I would be interested in but I thought I would mention in the interest of cultural diversity.

Dave
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You call that hunting?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

marlinman93 wrote:You call that hunting?

More like ambush, but it is just one shot and you can't very well load fast enough for a follow up shot.

You load your cannon, point it down a shooting lane and wait for a deer to cross within reasonable range. Isn't that the definition of hunting? Only difference between using cannister or grape in a cannon and buckshot is that the grape and cannister are using .69 caliber balls rather than .36 caliber balls, and the cannon has an additional 50 yards or so of range.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

I have some relatives in East Texas that would think that this might just work for those holed up deer in the Big Thicket. A true "brush buster".

FP