Hanging deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Hanging deer

Post by gcs »

As sort of an add on, to WCF30-30's formal hunting attire thread, how do you hang your deer?
The right way, head down, or the wrong way, head up? :P

I hang them head down, just like every other critter in the meat industry, it also keeps the good parts away from the dogs. :D

What say you?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hanging deer

Post by Borregos »

Head down is the way to go. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Head down.
NRA Life Member
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I hang them the right way, head up! :D How do you get all the chest cavity cleaned up with the head down? Do you hang them head down to clean, and then turn them back when you're done? :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

head down, cut em all the way to the front teeth.....cleans out well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Head down. A good hose and nozzle cleans them well; we make sure we cut the trachea far enough forward to drain the chest cavity quite well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Head Down, on a Gambrel.

The chest cavity is already clean by the time I hang it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Gutted and rinsed where they are dropped.
Hung head down to butcher.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

We always hang them head down. Well by the time we hang them we have already cut the head off.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I shoot mine.

Hanging seems cruel, and the antlers make it hard to get the noose around the neck.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

marlinman93 wrote:I hang them the right way, head up! :D How do you get all the chest cavity cleaned up with the head down? Do you hang them head down to clean, and then turn them back when you're done? :wink:
Yes.
In the pic he was head up to clean and wash out.
Then I took him out to my sisters where he hung upside down over night before he was butchered.
This year it was cold enough to let'em hang but for the past 8-10 its been to warm so you need to cut them up quick or pay the $80+ dollars to have them processed.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Head down, split 'em all the way down to the throat and give them a bit of a washing to make sure all the residual goo is gone.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Head up and take a 5 gallon bucket of warm water and splash up into the chest cavity and let drain. Once they're hung I don't move them. Skin and quarter them where they hang.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Bucks, head up. Does, head down. Why? I see no difference...but it is easy to hang a buck by his antlers.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I gut them where they drop, then hang head down to skin and quarter as taught by my daddy. I am 70 now and it still works for me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Head down. Once up they are skinned, decapitated, chest split, cavity hosed out, and left to hang for a couple days in a steel building that keeps the meat just above freezing.

~Michael
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

amazed so many wash their deer out. Water has lots of bacteria, and I'll only wash if I have to, we clean and wipe the cavity out with a clean towel or rag instead and then let em hang.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

What I was taught when I was growing up was to hang them head up to be washed out and drained. If it was cold enough outside they would hang for a day or so when time permitted processing. We would then hang them head down from a gambrel, skinned, quartered and cut up. My dad never cut the backstrap out whole, but split the deer down the spine and cut up chops like you would a hog. Everything I've read recently about the subject advises against washing the body cavity because the added moisture promotes the grow of microbes: in the exposed body cavity dry is good. Now when I get a deer, it doesn't hang very long, I try to get them skinned and a least quartered and in a cooler or refrigerator as soon as possible. Then I like to get it cut up and frozen as soon as possible. Hoof to freezer in 24hrs if I'm not away from home when hunting. Our fall weather has been so unpredictable the last few years, I just don't want to fool around from a time and temperature stand point. I also won't pay someone to process my deer.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I try not to let it hang too long because the only place I have to hang one is in my screen-porch... basicly just long enough to break rigor so I can cut it up. Carcasses tend to annoy the neighbors and attract cats.

I'm working on the design of a portable (disasembleable anyway) hanging shed that I can put up in the fall and take down in the spring that will let me hang/conceal/refrigerate at least 3 deer. Otherwise it's just too bloody warm here to hang a deer before November.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Head down
ED
Yer never too old
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Looks like I'm in the minority. I hang em head up and then skin and butcher them that way. dressing is always done in the field wherever the deer dropped.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

At home I bring the deer out of the woods WHOLE !

When i get to the house I hang them by the hocks and then gut them !

I also open the throat enough to get the windpipe and pull it out ! Then I take water and a stick and rinse the entire inside cavity out and the stuff runs out thru the hole in the throat or the mouth !

If the deer is something I want mounted , after I gut I let the deer down and wash out the bopdy cavity drain it , then wipe it out and hang him back up by the hocks !

If I'm not at home and have a ways to get the deer out of course I gut them in the field and then rinse the body cavity when I get to the truck . But once I get to where ever I'm staying or back home I hang them by the hocks !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jeff Quinn wrote:I shoot mine.

Hanging seems cruel, and the antlers make it hard to get the noose around the neck.
I knew somebody would beat me to it.... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm really surprised at how many people hang them head down! Out west I can honestly say I've never seen a deer hanging in any camp head down. I personally never skin a deer hanging either. I simply spread out a blue plastic tarp, tie the deer to a tree, and pull the hide off with a rope tied to my truck. Takes all of 30 seconds, and way easier than a tree and a skinning knife!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

head down and another one the cuts them to the teeth. its too warm here so they get hung in a locker 4-5 days.
pete
DAV life member.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Got this guy,

Hanging head down on my shed right now. I gut in the field & if I can rinse the cavity. If I cant I rinse it out after I get here & hang it. It's cool enough I'm leaving him till tomorrow night.
I'v hung them by the head before but just to store them overnight. Never to work on.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

If I get a big buck, its usually hung head down for a week, then butchered. Meat does are hung either head up or down and usually butchered within 24 hours of being harvested.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I do all animals head down. The slaughter houses do it this way also. The hide on a head up deer will have to be cut around the neck, liberating much hair. A deer hung head down can be skinned easier without a bunch of knife work. Less hair will be on the meat when skinned head down. PLUS, the head can be severed and dealt with without having to rehang the carcass.

TomF
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Head down here .
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Head down with hide on for at least 3 days weather permitting. Try to keep the meat around 38 to 40 deg f to age. This year only 2 days because weather warmed up to above 40 deg.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

head up
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Head down for me. I have honestly never seen it done the other way, but it looks like a viable way to do it. I'm just used to head down.

Todd
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I, too, am surprised - as I've NEVER rinsed the body cavity of a newly field-dressed deer with water ! .........But then, I've never had a gut shot deer, either.
I was taught that after field dressing, the natural muscle secretions would cover the cavity's internal walls, drying to protect the meat - but that a sprinkling of pepper would keep the flies off in warmer weather.

Slaughterhouses use a "heads down" approach, because they drain the animal's blood into a trough, generally to be sold for other meat packing uses, and don't want the blood soiled any more than necessary.

Traditionally, though:

;)

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I always hung them head up before but my wife bought a hanger tree with a block & tackle at a gun show. I used it this year. That block & tackle set up sure takes the grunt out of hanging them for skinning. I'm not used to skinning upside down but after 4 deer now, I think I've got the hang of it this way. I've learned that skinning the leg before putting the hanger in is the way to go. Finally got smart on the 4th one. :oops:

When I can, I'll always rinse the inside of the deer after field dressing. It help a lot with cooling and gets my "mistakes" cleaned up. I'll generally rinse after skinning too, again, it helps cooling. It's easier to get the hair off before quartering and that makes the finale boning a bit less work. I seldom age deer meat any more in the hide, it will age in the quarters long enough before I get it cut, packaged & frozen IMO. That can stretch out over a couple/three days.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

hung mine head up last nite. it was already field dressed. turned it upside down to skin this morning, no reason just is always the way my dad did it!

WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Guess the confusion has been going on for some time:

Then again:

More recently:

spencer516
Levergunner 1.0

Post by spencer516 »

I don't hang them at all anymore. Use my cell phone to check them in and quarter right in the field. No gutting needed. Take everything out the back, including the tenderloins. Into the cooler they go. They usually sit in ice water for week. I change it every one to two days. Saves me fingers and bowel nicks in the dark. Butcher as I get time.