Pictures of some old levers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Pictures of some old levers

Post by FLINT »

I thought i would share some pics of a couple poor old abused leverguns I inherited a couple years ago. I got them back from the gunsmith a couple weeks ago in better condition. I have a couple questions that you guys might be able to help with.

Both guns were in real poor shape when i got them - they had been stored in a cellar and when recovered had been coated in naval jelly to stop the rusting, but the naval jelly apparently had been left on too long so it couldnt be completely removed from the metal and as a result the guns couldnt be reblued and were duracoated instead. I don't mind, they could never be pretty guns anyways, my goal was just to get them shootable.

First one is a 32 winchester special that was made in 1948. When i got it the bolt was broken, the chamber had some deep scratches in it and the receiver had lots of holes from a poor scope mount job. So it got a brand new replacement barrel, a used but perfect condition bolt, and the holes in the receiver were filled. Then it was duracoated. It cycles very smooth now. The wood is trashed and I'll probably replace that in the next year or so.

The next is a 32-40 which was made in 1925. when i got it it actually was functionally in great shape, the lever cycled very smooth and the rifling was in great shape. The bad part was that this old gun had gotten severely pitted in the cellar and it looked like someone had cut 5" off the end of the barrel with a log splitter. The only thing replaced in this gun was the magazine tube. the end of the barrel was cut off straight and crowned, then it was cleaned up and duracoated. There are still a couple problems which i need to address with this gun. The action cycles very hard and harsh now, and it seems like some of that might be due to the fact that the hammer seems hard to pull back. not sure why that is. also, when you chamber a round, the lever just flops open - and i know why that is - the little pin that holds the lever shut is jamed in so that it doesnt work. I would like to fix these two problems and i think this gun will be good to go as well.

here is a picture with the lever open and you can see how the pin is jammed - can that be fixed?

so, poor old abused guns, saved from the dump, and hopefully will get back to work in the woods soon.
Last edited by FLINT on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pictures of some old levers

Post by TedH »

Good for you! Amazing before and after pics. :D
NRA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Drive out the retaining pin, then drill- or fish-out the stud and spring. Replacement parts are available...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Looking good, glad you could salvage them. Judging by the notches on the stock of that .32 Winchester its had a bit of experience, probably longing to get back in the woods.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Buck, thanks, sounds simple enough - i'll look into that.

ceb, yes, that gun was my uncle's and my dad says that it has brought lots of meat to the table :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Good save!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Great old rifles, and you did wonders getting them back on their feet. The wood on the .32 Special doesn't look all that bad to me, and those notches sure have a lot of meaning. I'd leave the wood alone. (Oh, what is the coin or medallion let into the stock? That's another interesting point.)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

You mentioned the 32/40 cycles hard. Here's a couple of things to check. First make sure there is no finish in the bolt guide slot. Second, make sure the receiver sides are parallel, it could have been damaged when it was being refinished. Third, sometimes a screw can be switched when the reassembly occurs and may be protruding into the action and binding something sliding by it. Model 86's and 92's are very prone to this. Fourth, look closely at the sides of the internal parts, bolt, lifter, cartridge guides, etc. for odd wear (rub marks, scarring) against each other. Fifth, a cartridge guide spring may be out of it's slot and holding the guide out a bit. Sixth, the hammer screw may be screwed in too tight. It's really nice when these old Winchesters are brought back to life. Have fun with them!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FLINT wrote: ...and the receiver had lots of holes from a poor scope mount job.
That's an understatement! Some maniac with a drill went pyscho on that receiver! :shock:

Excellent save on your part Flint. You do good work. How did you like the Duracoat (to work with)?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Nice save!

How were the holes filled?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

FLINT wrote:Image
"Oh yeah, they can buff that right out!"
-Planes, Trains and Automobiles
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice job on those rifles. You said you wanted to replace the wood because it was trashed but they look pretty good to me. The wood on the first rifle at least gives it "character". As long as the stock and forearm on that rifle are serviceable, I'd leave it alone.

You Smith did a good job on filling the holes on the second gun.
ED
Yer never too old
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

GunSmith, thanks for all of those tip on the 32-40!!!

Ysabel kid, I didn't do the work, a gunsmith did, but I like the duracoat - I don't love they way it looks on an old winchester - but it seems really tough.

yeah, he did a good job filling those holes - I think he just threaded some plugs into the holes and then filed them down to the receiver - there are still some scratches there where he tried to blend it all in, but it certainly looks better than before!!!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, thanks!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I remember these words when old levers suffer at the hands of man. "Forgive then for they know not what they do". Good job bringing them back to life. 1886.