.358 bullets in 357 mag pistols and rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

.358 bullets in 357 mag pistols and rifles

Post by preventec47 »

I notice there are some long pointed boat tail bullets in .358 normally
used I think in 35 Rem rifles that would be great for use in single
shot pistols and rifles if the extra thousandth of an inch in diameter
didnt cause problems. Specifically Sierra has a 225 grain bullet of
that description. Normal pistol bullets are advertised as having
.357 dimension. Could the extra size cause pressure dangers?
Hupothetically of course, but I am looking to see if some of you
guys could say oh yea, no problem, I've shot lots of em with no problem.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .358 bullets in 357 mag pistols and rifles

Post by Tycer »

The .358s work perfectly.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

preventec47 wrote:Hypothetically of course, but I am looking to see if some of you
guys could say oh yea, no problem, I've shot lots of em with no problem.
I've shot 1000's of them with no trouble. A cast bullet would be sized .358 or .359 anyway.

One thing, for the type of bullets you are talking about, they are not going to expand much if any in your .35. Sierra's are very soft so that'll help, but any long shots where the velocity really bleeds off you will experience minimal expansion.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

All of my cast bullets are sized to .358. No problems ringing the (10") gong offhand at 100yds.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

QUOTE:
One thing, for the type of bullets you are talking about, they are not going to expand much if any in your .35. Sierra's are very soft so that'll help, but any long shots where the velocity really bleeds off you will experience minimal expansion.
=========================

Good, that would mean therefore that they would penetrate better than any
other bullet you could possibly shoot as they are pointed and heavy.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have wondered just the opposite. How devastating would the Nosler .357 180gr partition be in the .35 Rem. or .358 Win.? I suspect it would be spectacular on light, thin skinned game. 1886.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

The IHMSA guys used to do this a lot. IIRC they used a Speer 180 jacketed flat point, among others.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

About the minimum for expansion of factory soft point bullets is around 1800fps. I have tested many bullets for expansion and terminal effect over many thousands of shots. Yes, they can penetrate far but I can assure you that a spitzer bullet that does not expand has pathetic lethality characteristics. In gel the bullet path is practically invisible. So the net effect would be equivalent to stabbing the deer with a 12" long hypodermic needle. The deer or any anmal for that matter deserves better. Any nose shape is better than a spitzer that didn't open; round nose, flat point or whatever.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Never mind.

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

my winter project is to test the .357 Barnes pistol bullets in 35 Rem. If they're accurate, they would expand at low velocities.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Leverluver wrote:About the minimum for expansion of factory soft point bullets is around 1800fps. I have tested many bullets for expansion and terminal effect over many thousands of shots. Yes, they can penetrate far but I can assure you that a spitzer bullet that does not expand has pathetic lethality characteristics. In gel the bullet path is practically invisible. So the net effect would be equivalent to stabbing the deer with a 12" long hypodermic needle. The deer or any anmal for that matter deserves better. Any nose shape is better than a spitzer that didn't open; round nose, flat point or whatever.
darn! I would sure hate to get stuck with a .358 diameter needle.

Come to think of it many millions of deer sized humans have succumbed to non expanding spitzer bullets. Typically spitzer bullets will tumble on impact whereupon it becomes a large meplat flatpoint.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd stick with 180 grain bullets with a nice wide flat nose for hunting - with .357 Mag loads. Cast bullets. That or Hornady XTP's, Nosler Partitions, etc. in that weight - they will expand but hold together at those velocities.

As already mentioned, the velocity that the .357 Mag can produce is just too little for expansion of the rifle bullets.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Try the Hornady single shot pistol bullet. Its a 180 gr spire point. Probably have to be single loaded in a levergun.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

El Chivo wrote:my winter project is to test the .357 Barnes pistol bullets in 35 Rem. If they're accurate, they would expand at low velocities.
Did you try this? How did it work out? I was at the gun shop today eyeing the Nosler 180 gr Partition-HG Hollow Point bullet with
my 35 Remington in mind.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Bullard4075 wrote:
El Chivo wrote:my winter project is to test the .357 Barnes pistol bullets in 35 Rem. If they're accurate, they would expand at low velocities.
Did you try this? How did it work out? I was at the gun shop today eyeing the Nosler 180 gr Partition-HG Hollow Point bullet with
my 35 Remington in mind.
I made up a dummy, and because of the smaller size the bullet was loose in the neck. You could spin it around with your fingers. I figured I would get a lot of soot and escaping gas, so I decided not to load it up, as the velocity range for that bullet is still exceeded by the .357 Mag Carbine. The bullet is really made for handgun use, and expands nicely when going 800-1200. I don't know about the Nosler, but I would stick to .358s for 35 Rem. I was doing this because the rules about the condors limited me to Barnes bullets.

I did come up with a load for 35 Rem with the Barnes 200 grain spire point. Sure it won't expand, but it's just for walking around. If I need it for defense it should penetrate on a frontal shot, but I still have more testing to do with it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."