POLL - Should Posters in Classifieds Have Min # of Posts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Should initial posters (i.e. initiators of a topic) have a minimum post number in order to post?

Yes. I think it lets us know them before we do business but I don't care how many.
14%
Yes, 5 post minimum
4%
Yes, 10 post minimum
5%
Yes, 15 post minimum
2%
Yes, 20 post minimum
4%
Yes, 25 post minimum
9%
Yes, more than 25
12%
No. Why should I care as long as I get a deal. Besides post counts don't matter.
49%

Total votes: 137
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: POLL - Should Posters in Classifieds Have Min # of Posts?

Post by Pete44ru »

I didn't vote, because I too like things the way they are.

We're all adults, here - and the ones that don't act accordingly are soon dealt with and/or gone.

I WOULD, however, like to see member's profile information (state/location, email addy, etc) MANDATORY - which would leave fewer questions unanswered.

My $0.02

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:I didn't vote, because I too like things the way they are.

We're all adults, here - and the ones that don't act accordingly are soon dealt with and/or gone.

I WOULD, however, like to see member's profile information (state/location, email addy, etc) MANDATORY - which would leave fewer questions unanswered.

My $0.02

Good points Pete. I'll look at that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's my feeling that posters in the classified section should have references or have done buisness with a leverguns member who can vouch for their character in at least one deal gone good.

I'm not sure that the number of posts is evidence to trustworthiness of character. References and happy traders are.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Griff wrote:Hmmmm.... this is a subject that could get heated. However, as one who's bought several items from about 3 members, I'm not so sure as a post count is necessary or even relavent. I've been queried from several other members about the deal that I struck regarding sellers and my recommendation... which has always been positive. Buyer beware is simply good advice and should be followed.

I agree with Griff. Also, some people may come on this site every day for months or years and never post. I know I sometimes log in several times a day but don't post all that much.
I do see the other side though and it's more reassuring buying from someone after "getting to know them" on this site. I've bought three rifles from members and it has been a pleasure.
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

I've been hanging out here for quite some time with very few posts to my credit. I read, I learn, and I get a lot of enjoyment from you guys. That being said, buying or selling here isn't all that different than on G.A. or any of the auction sites - TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS, they don't often let you down. Get a phone number, put up your antenna, and call the seller. You can "chat" with anyone for five minutes and almost always get an impression as to whether or not you're dealing with a straight shooter (sorry). Obviously there's a chance you can get conned with any kind of purchase (ever gotten a bad deal face to face at a gunshow ?), but after buying & selling a whole bunch of guns over the years, I've found gun guys as a group to be more principled and honest than most. I've had first time internet buyers email me about being nervous about dealing with and sending money to a stranger, etc, etc. I give them my phone number and we talk. I tell them whether they buy mine or someone else's, talk to the seller and pay with postal money orders only. Also, if you get truly screwed, let everyone know about it - I know I'd appreciate the warning. My .02, keep the change...
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I almost agreed with the WHY SHOULD I CARE crowd, however on other sites I have been on, fraud if frequently commited on internet sales. Granted Leverguns assumes no liability or guarentee on any sale, however if a person is required to have a minimum of 25 post, I would feel a little more secure the deal would be legit.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Michigan Shooter
Levergunner

Post by Michigan Shooter »

I trust people on online forums more than I do people at gun shows. That's because getting accurate feedback of buyers and sellers, before I enter into a transaction, is a lot harder to get in the brick and mortar world.

Ben
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Mandatory post counts only encourage a flood of "Nice rifle", "me too", etc., etc. in order to reach the required minimum number of posts. Quantity doesn't always mean quality.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm a bit torn between requiring a certain number of posts and not requiring any. If something goes south and the seller is on the east coast and the buyer is on the west coast how are you going to resolve the issue if the seller is a scammer. Caveat Emptor is fine and dandy, but it's a little hard to background someone unless they're willing to give you straight up information. And, anyone can say whatever they want and make it look legit. I like to know "something" about the person I'm buying from or having someway to vet them. Positive sales, word of mouth, etc.. Just my 2 cents. But, it's worth two cents. :D
Old Law Dawg
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

If I may put in my 2cents worth. I am a relatively new poster who purchased an item from one of the established members and received a good deal and great condition marlin 1894. Before I purchased the item I read quite a few of his postings to get an idea of what he was like (as far as can be done by monitoring postings).
I have also noticed lately a number of new members who want to sell something (and don't have pictures), but am not able to "scrutinize" their postings. Therefore, I choose to give them a "pass."
Maybe the minimum posting is not the best way to monitor the board but it is better than nothing. HOW about a minimum number of postings AND minimum time period of being a member, say 6 months, before being able to sell anything?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
lucky1s
Levergunner

Post by lucky1s »

I voted no. I did belong to this site for some time a while back and haven't been here in a while. My log in was no good so I renewed my account. Same name and same guy. I didn't post much then and most likely wont post much in the future. I don't want to add to the situation of "nice gun" or "I agree" type of posts but will post if I have questions or think I can add to the conversation in some way.

I also belong to the Cast Boolits webgroup and their method of Straightshooters and Deadbeat Sellers is a good system for helping the buyer feel a littel more at ease before mailing the money.

Lucky
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

I'm new to this forum today. I'm on Cast Boolits, as Cajun Shooter. I'm also on CAS City, and Open Range as Fairshake the same as here. I think you will have honest people such as myself that would never cheat anyone and you have con artist who will cheat a nun. The number of post has not stopped some crooks on Cast Boolits. Why not require the person to have referrals or be known members of other forums first. Then if they are without anything at all they would start to meet the posting or number of days a member. I think that my being a cop for 15 years will qualify me to speak about less than honest people. Just remember the old saying Buyer Beware if you have an uneasy feeling. It's better to go without something than the money thats lost to crooks. The current scam that was run by the guy who crashed his plane was people who were greedy. He promised them he woukld turn 400,000 into 1 millon in 6 months. If he was that good why would he let you in?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think the consensus is no min # of posts and that's what we'll be continuing.

This topic will now be locked and allowed to drift into the archives... For everyone who participated, thank you for your vote/opinion.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson