puma 92 454

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

puma 92 454

Post by bbleverfan »

thinking of trading my puma 92 454 blued,20in bbl.it was mfg in aprox.2003.i have recently seen that they will no longer be selling this rifle in 454 should i keep this gun and ditch the idea of getting read of it?i have shot aprox 25 shells through it.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Re: puma 92 454

Post by Jaguarundi »

If it was mine I would keep it. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

if it isn't costing you anything, keep it.
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

no it isnt that i need to get read of it but you no how it is when you see other guns
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

bbleverfan wrote:no it isnt that i need to get read of it but you no how it is when you see other guns
sure do, but before doing something like that, I looked for a second job for the wife :P :twisted:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Al wrote:
bbleverfan wrote:no it isnt that i need to get read of it but you no how it is when you see other guns
sure do, but before doing something like that, I looked for a second job for the wife :P :twisted:
:lol: I know how that'd go over with MY wife. So I got a part-time job in a gun shop... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Considering it might go down as the only production levergun ever chambered in that cartridge I would certainly keep it, but its up to you. You might get more for it if you wait a few months and they start becoming scarce.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Keep it.
Recently I sent mine out to have the hard factory recoil pad replaced with a kick-eze pad. The factory pad was only slightly softer than the steel used in the receiver. It is like a completely different gun now.
Try changing out the recoil pad and maybe you will put more than half a box of ammo through it and truly be able to appreciate the gun.

Besides as mentioned earlier there has never been a factory carbine chambered in 454 before and possibly never will again. Keep it.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If you like it and it shoots good, keep it!

Even if you think you might want to trade it or sell it later, it will only go up in value.

I'd hold on to it.

If the recoil is the issue (not that you can't handle it - more like its just not fun...) then get a lace-on pad like Cabela's stocks. I have one on my 45-70 for hot loads and my 356 Win - does a very good job of easing the snap and also adds a little to the length of pull.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

its not that i cant handle the recoil its just that i have been reading that the hotter loaded factory ammo has been causing damage to these guns over a prolong period of time.since i have not yet started reloading i was wondering if there is a milder or lower pressure factory round available.not in 45 colt.i think the federal fusion 260 gr shells are considerably milder than some of the others but im not totally sure.but i guess im going to keep it anyways.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Freedom Arms used to carry medium level loads. I don't know if they still do.
Old Law Dawg
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Buffalo Bore makes a reduced power 454 as they did so to reduce the incidence of bullet jump with lead bullets. It is still way more powerful than anything that could be loaded in the 45 Colt cartridge.