Marlin 1893 receivers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1893 receivers

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I am about to show my ignorance..... Please bare with me. It is my understanding that all Marlin 1893's come from the factory with CCH receivers. If that is the case should someone let this guy know.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =119523719

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1893 receivers

Post by BenT »

I've seen alot of 1893 and most of them were blued. Wether they are correct I don't know. Marlinman is wiser in these respects. I'll wait to see if he chimes in.
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

Blued receivers were standard on Marlin 1893 Grade "B" rifles. These rifles were stamped
"For Black Powder" on the barrel & used a softer steel in the barrels. All other 1893 Marlins
were casehardened receivers(standard). However blued receivers could be special ordered
in a standard 1893 Marlin with a "Special Smokeless Steel" barrel. The grade "B" rifles
were considered lower quality than the rifles with casehardened recievers & cost less.
You could fire smokeless ammo in a grade "B" gun but the barrel would wear a lot quicker.
The main difference in the barrels was the alloy of the metals used to produce them.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

You see the blued receivers more on 32-40 and 38-55 guns because those are the ones that they used the "black powder" barrels on. Any barrel that doesn't say "special smokeless steel" is a black powder barrel. They didn't always mark them as such, just the later versions and even that isn't carved into stone. The one shown on GB could very well be as original as he says. I see nothing that tells me it isn't. The wear of the case on the lever and hammer are consistent with the bluing wear. There's no sign of over polishing that might suggest a reblue. He's over priced for what it is but that isn't strange on GB.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

I did message the seller thru gunbroker & his reply was that the barrel was marked "Black
Powder Only".
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Seller's at the least mildly delusional with his price. Fairly nice rifle, but really...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Thanks for the information. I know very little about the older marlins and thought that I would tap into the wealth of knowledge that is pooled here.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Buffboy wrote:You see the blued receivers more on 32-40 and 38-55 guns because those are the ones that they used the "black powder" barrels on. Any barrel that doesn't say "special smokeless steel" is a black powder barrel. They didn't always mark them as such, just the later versions and even that isn't carved into stone.
You are correct about unmarked barrels being blackpowder barrels, but just to clarify any misconceptions; these early guns still had casehardened receivers. Only those grade B 1893's (and the special orders) had blued receivers. Didn't want folks to think any Marlin with a blackpowder barrel would have a blued receiver.
As for the gun at auction; I personally think it's all original from what I see. I also think his price is crazy, and he will be relisting it for years before he ever finds a buyer at that price.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/