OT: .45 Schofield - load data request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: .45 Schofield - load data request

Post by J Miller »

Thanks to Otto I have just shy of 100 .45 Schofield cases. I've already got them loaded up with 230gr RNFP HP bullets and Win 231 powder. I used the Hodgdons 2008 Annual Manual data.

What I'm looking for is data for Unique in the .45 Schofield. I've searched all my books, and the web sites and come up with zip. This needs to be standard pressure data as it will be fired from IJ and my S&W. Not interested in any Ruger type +P loads.

Can somebody here point me to a source of said data?

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: .45 Schofield Load data quest

Post by Otto »

Alliant website indicates 6.1gr of Unique with RCBS 230gr CAS mould.

Speer #13 also lists 6.1gr for that mould, as well as the 225 CAV.

Hornady sixth edition (2003) lists 5.9gr with their 230gr LRN swaged bullet, and 5.5gr with their 255gr LFP swaged.

The Hornady book warns "do not under any circumstances use these loads in an older, weaker firearm." The Speer book gives no caveats, and neither does the Alliant site
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Cousin Joe,

I have used the 6gr of Unique load with the RCBS "CAV" 230gr bullet with good success in my Beretta Laramie. Accuracy was outstanding after I had a forcing cone cut in the barrel (it came without one) barrel throated and had the crown cleaned up. I had no signs of excess pressure or sticky extraction. I haven't put it over the Chrony screens yet, but I am expecting around 800 fps or so.

Wayne
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Otto, Wayne;

I missed the data on the Alliant site. I think I need to borrow my wife's new eyes.

Not overly impressed with that 6.1gr load though. Alliant says it makes all of 728fps.
I'll have to dig out my Speer 13, I honestly didn't know, remember, or realize there was .45 Schofield data in it.
I don't have Hornady #6 or #7 yet, all I have is #5. I need to catch up.

Even the old black powder loads made over 800fps.
The 7.1gr of 231 load from the Hodgdon's 2008 Annual Manual made 816fps from a 5" barrel.

OK, I figgured it out. The Alliant site and Speer #13 show the same data cos Alliant is now part of that group. All their data is geared to the cowboy shooter level of performance. Too light for what I want. I'm looking for original performance velocities.
I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks guys

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I put together 94 rounds of genuine (replica) .45 Schofield.

I used the Starline brass from Otto.
Winchester WLP primers
Winchester 231 5.7grs
And some 230 gr RNFP HB bullets I got off eBay several years ago. No idea who made them.
Data came from the Hodgdon's 2008 Annual Manual.
Velocity is said to be 816 fps @ 12,700 CUP

It was cold in that indoor range, so cold that even with the heater cranking I could see my breath. I was snuggling up to my guns after a string to warm my hands up.

I fired 15 rounds of the Schofield load. The above load is a nice load. Not a load to sneeze at, that's for sure. The powder charge and bullet weight is the same load I used 30 years ago when I shot IPSC with my 1911s. So with the longer case it would be a wee bit softer recoil than a .45 ACP round.

Initial impressions are that this load is very accurate. At least in IJ. My first couple groups were OK, but as my hands got cold I couldn't hold a steady grip.
I did a comparison test with factory equivalent .45 Colt loads, and although you could tell the difference, there really wasn't that much difference in recoil.

Now I do need to get some more of these cases, more 230gr bullets as well, to do some real extensive test comparisons.
I'm even thinking of loading some with that icky black stinky stuff.

Just for the fun of it really.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote: I was snuggling up to my guns after a string to warm my hands up.
What, Joe - you don't snuggle up to your guns all the time? How do they know they are loved if you don't? :wink:

Sounds like a fun range session. Did you note any difference between the brass? I have always like Starline best myself. Might not have been a fair test though, given how cold it was. Still, any chance to snuggle with a warm gun can't be all that bad! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: .45 Schofield - range report

Post by Pete44ru »

Joe - You better brush up on yore google-fu, lest ay lose yore Emeritus status. ;)

Loads for .45 Schofield Pistol:

(Note: The loads from ACCURATE (Nitro100, Solo1000 & No. 2) are suggested to be used as listed. No more, no less.)
(See note on Powders below or read all about various Powders.) The .45 Schofield is a very old cartridge and was once used by the Army in the pre-1900 era. It was used primarily in a Schofield pistol with a top-break action and could be reloaded much faster than the old SAA (Single Action Army). A mounted rider could empty and reload from a moving horse in less time than a rider could even empty and begin to reload the SAA.

It is becoming more popular with the Cowboy Action Shooting since it is a mild load and can be shot in the guns chambered for the .45 Colt. It's like shooting a .38 special in a gun chambered for .357 magnum.
Bullet is .452" diameter. Due to different barrel lengths, type of bullet, seating depth, primer type and other factors, you may not get near the FPS charted. It is just a guide.

----------------------------------------
200 grain Lead SWC or RNFP
Trail Boss 4.0 gr. 684 FPS minimum
Trail Boss 5.0 gr. 791 FPS MAXIMUM
Nitro 100 5.6 gr. 959 fps
Solo 1000 6.3 gr. 952
No. 2 Imp. 5.6 gr. 863
-----------------------------------------
230 grain lead RNFP
Trail Boss 4.0 gr. 649 FPS minimum
Trail Boss 5.0 gr. 739 FPS MAXIMUM
Nitro 100 5.0 gr. 867 fps
Solo 1000 5.8 gr. 852
No. 2 Imp. 5.3 gr. 870
250 grain lead RNFP
Trail Boss 3.5 gr. 537 FPS minimum
Trail Boss 4.8 gr. 685 FPS MAXIMUM
255 grain lead SWC
Nitro 100 4.6 gr. 775 fps
Solo 1000 5.5 gr. 801
No. 2 Imp. 5.1 gr. 783

Discussion: This case was originally designed for black powder. Using modern smokeless powders can be a real problem. It does not fill the case very well and especially when you want to back off to a mild cowboy action load. Ignition can be inconsistent at best. You have to be careful not to go too light, or a bullet could stick in the barrel. However, for these very reasons, the .45 Schofield is a popular choice since the case is shorter than the standard .45 Colt and therefore mild loads with bullets weighing from 200 to 255 grains can be shot with less recoil. Just as it is much better to make a mild load with a 158 grain bullet in .38 special than to try to make that same mild load with a .357 case. If you have an original, old firearm chambered for this round, you should stick to black powder loads for safety. The steel was not as strong in the original guns as compared to modern reproductions.

#2400, Reloader 7, 11, 12, 15, 19, and 22 are products of Alliant (formerly Hercules) Powders.
H380, H450 and H4895 are products of Hodgdon Powders.
Trail Boss, IMR 3031 and IMR 4895 are products of IMR (formerly DuPont) Powder Company.
No. 2, No. 5, Nitro 100, and Solo 1000 are products of Accurate Arms Company (also Scot powders)
WMR, WSF, WSL, 760, 748, 231 and 540 are products of Winchester, Components Div.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

YK,
Yes I snuggle to my guns a lot. My wife thinks I'm nuts. But in that cold range, they were soooooo warm.

Pete,
I have to admit I'm search challenged. I'm terrible at Google or other search media.
Thanks for the data I saved it for reference.
Although I disagree with some of the comments in the "Discussion" section.

Ray,
I kept your notes as well.

Thanks
Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: .45 Schofield - load data request

Post by J Miller »

Thanks to a couple fine Leverguns members I'm set with enough Schofield brass to really mess with.

What I'd like help with finding loads that are above the cowboy level. I'm not shooting this ammo in an old S&W so I'm not worried if I go above 800 fps with a 230gr or heavier bullet.
I've got a couple heavier than normal bullets to experiment with, but mostly I'm looking for loads that will push the 230gr bullet to between 825 and 850 fps.

I'm searching all the on line sources and have found virtually nothing. Most of it is geared to the cowboy games. So I need some help from those who have done this before.. Currently the only powder I have in any quantity is Unique and 231. I have a bit of Alcan AL-7 and some PB ... maybe. I do need to make a powder run so that's why I'm checking in with this now.

If there is anyone here with one of them computer load data programs that would be willing to help me a bit I'd appreciate it.

And if any of you have data you do not want to put on line, feel free to email or pm me. Buttons are down below.

Thanks a bunch.

KirkD any progress on your project?

Joe