OT - Ysabel - History question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OT - Ysabel - History question

Post by Old Savage »

What was the year when George Washington was born?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I can't say off the top of my head when he was born, but I can tell you when he died. It was the last time I had him in my hand.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

gw

Post by rjohns94 »

was born on feb 22, 1732
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The NMLRA's publication, Muzzle Blasts, has run a series on George these past few months. This month, they cover his death and included a quote from a letter to a friend, which kind of sums up his life:

" always walked on a straight line, and endeavoured as far as human frailties, and perhaps strong passion...to discharge the relative duties to [my] Maker and fellow-men, without seeking any indirect or left handed attempts to acquire popularity."

George, we need you now buddy!!!!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike (rjohns94) nailed it - President George Washington was born February 22, 1732 in Virginia. This made him 67 years old when he died in 1799. Man, that does not seem old AT ALL!!!

BTW - I celebrate his birthday - not some nebulous "President's Day"! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

When George was born the year was 1731. At that time the new year began in Mar?Apr. It was later changed to Jan. 1.

Know you love this stuff Ysabel. Check the detail on that old year change date.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

I think 67 was a pretty ripe old age in those days. The average life span in the 1700's was less than 30 years.
Steve
omgb
Levergunner

Post by omgb »

Lifespan depended upon where you lived and what class you were. New Englanders usually lived into their late 70s and often into their 80s. Southern plantation owners were not so lucky. 50-60 was about the norm. Some lived longer but most did not. All other white southerners lived to about 40 or 45 with males having a significantly higher death rate than women.

Middle colonies, NY, NJ, PA, and DE were about 60ish or so depending upon whether or not you lived in the coastal cities (a bad thing) or on a farm (much longer life expectancy)

The key issue was getting past your childhood. If you made it past 15 in any of the colonies, you could reasonably expect to live into your 40s.

Now England was another deal. There life expectancy was about 30ish for the average bloke and early 50s for the wealthy and privileged. Life in 18th century England was just plain brutal.

As a side note, the Strep infection that killed Washington was a bad one. It was choking off his ability to breath and take in liquids. Add to that the bleeding that was done to reduce his fever (the goofy "humor" theory said that a fever was caused by too much blood in the body) and he didn't have a chance. FWIW, both Jefferson and Adams lived 20 years beyond Washington and died within hours of each other on July 4th 1823. That year marked the end of the Virginia Dynasty with the election of J Q Adams to the presidency in the so-called "corrupt bargain".
Last edited by omgb on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R. J. Talley
Madison Fellow, NRA Member, CDFG Hunter Ed. , Quail Unlimited
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

GEORGE WASHINGTON WAS BORN ON FEBRUARY 11, 1731. THE DATE WAS CHANGED TO FEBRUARY 22 WHEN THE CALENDER WAS CHANGED AND ELEVEN DAYS WERE DROPPED TO BRING THE CALENDER UP TO DATE. I BELIEVE IT WAS THEN THAT FEBRUARY 29 WAS ADDED EVERY FOUR YEARS TO KEEP THE CALENDER UP TO DATE.

MY DADDY WAS BORN ON FEBRUARY 11 AND DIED 90 YEARS LATER ON FEBRUARY 22, 2001.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Considering what he went through 67 of his years would add up to a couple life times for us ordinary folks.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Jefferson and Adams both died 50 years to the day after signing the Declaration - marvelous coincidence! Having been political enemies, they were great friends (again) for years before they died.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:When George was born the year was 1731. At that time the new year began in Mar?Apr. It was later changed to Jan. 1.

Know you love this stuff Ysabel. Check the detail on that old year change date.
You know I do! I was not aware of the calendar change - thank you for sharing.

Now the fun begins - I wonder if my brother - the history teacher - knows this!!! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the detail of the issue. They were using March 1st until:

Gregorian Calendar: January 1st Restored
In 1582, the Gregorian calendar reform restored January 1 as new year's day. Although most Catholic countries adopted the Gregorian calendar almost immediately, it was only gradually adopted among Protestant countries. The British, for example, did not adopt the reformed calendar until 1752. Until then, the British Empire—and their American colonies—still celebrated the new year in March.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the detail of the issue. They were using March 1st until:

Gregorian Calendar: January 1st Restored
In 1582, the Gregorian calendar reform restored January 1 as new year's day. Although most Catholic countries adopted the Gregorian calendar almost immediately, it was only gradually adopted among Protestant countries. The British, for example, did not adopt the reformed calendar until 1752. Until then, the British Empire—and their American colonies—still celebrated the new year in March.

rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

The Julian calender they were using at the time of his birth had a Feb 29 every 4 years. The corrected Gregorian calender dropped the addition on "century years" that were not also divisible by 400. (1900 was not a leap year 2000 was.)
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks OS, that's a pretty good read. I'd never heard that before.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.