OT-Finally finished..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Finally finished..

Post by morgan in nm »

I know I promised a picture with a winchester 92 in it but I am too tired. Give me a couple of days.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT-Finally finished..

Post by Sixgun »

Now that is NEAT :D Come on---details!! I see its a 4 cylinder with overhead valves--my guess it was made sometime in the early forties?? (remember now--its a guess) My brother-in-law used to have a Farmall Cub with all of the attachments. The dope never did take care of it and its now all rusted up in the pasture
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

thats very cool....
How fast is it in the quarter mile :lol: :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Are you going to sell it?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Man, that's ENOUGH of these durned 'OT' thing . . .

. . . er, well, uh, that's kinda cool, actually . . . 8) . . . trade you a levergun for it...? :mrgreen:

. . . but NEXT time, there'd better be a LEVERGUN in the picture!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If the economy keeps tanking, we'll all WISH we had a durable practical piece of hardware like that, or a horse.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

OK, the details:

Its a 1926 Farmall Regular. Its only a 9hp tractor at the drawbar. These things were made from 1923 to 1930 and were the first to be called Farmall. Originally, it came out this color instead of all red and it also came out on full steel but someone decided to put rubber on the front so they cut off the steel caps and welded rims on. Only has 3 forward speeds and one reverse. Top speed for this thing is 4mph(down hill with a stiff tail-wind.) Its already bone jarring enough at the slower speeds. I bought this thing at an auction a couple of months ago just totally wrecked. The engine was stuck but I told the auctioneer that I would get it running in 2 days which of course he laughed. He was right. It took me 2 days and 6 hrs.

This one is not for sale because I already have more in it than its worth. Around here, I couldn't get enough out of it to buy a decent winchester pre-64. I only bought it because my father has always wanted one so I surprised him with it. I think the grin on his face was bigger than the one I had when I killed my first deer :lol: I'll be gone most of the day tomorrow but I'll get that picture that I promised with a 92 Winchester from the same year as soon as I can.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That looks mighty fine!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Nice Job Travis... I used to have a war time Ford N available (freind had it next farm over) It was restored on it's war era steel wheels and had the magneto ignition ....

My kidney are still bleeding from a couple of hours on that beast.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Hillbilly wrote:Nice Job Travis... I used to have a war time Ford N available (freind had it next farm over) It was restored on it's war era steel wheels and had the magneto ignition ....

My kidney are still bleeding from a couple of hours on that beast.

Jeff
Thanks, but who's Travis? :lol:
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

You are Morgan...everybody I know gets a new name...you too :D :) :o :? :wink: .

I am officially over the hill this year (50) so I can get away with a pre-demetia defense.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

That is a great restoration. As a young lad I put in more than a few hours in the seat of one of those that my great grandfather bought new, it passed to my grandfather, then father. Yours just happens to be the same model year as the one I ran for hours at a time with a 2 row cultivator. 80 acres of corn with a two row makes for a few long days. That looks like it's still a side exhaust like the one I ran, a lot were converted to the later stack with a muffler. They needed that conversion as they were LOUD(and people wonder why our hearing isn't so good) with that side exhaust. Ours had been converted to rubber on both ends. My father always had to start it as I didn't have enough upper body to throw that crank hard enough, either that or have a younger brother pull it with the H. You running it on straight gas or are you just starting it with gas then doing the switch to kerosene :wink:? I imagine with kero prices, gas is a bit cheaper now. I wish I still had the original manuals that used to sit in a closet at our farm, I'd send you one.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

8) 8) 8)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Very nice!
BTW, how did you get the engine unstuck? I have a Farmall 300, made in the '50s with a stuck engine, but haven't had much time to work on it. The head and oil pan are off, cylinders look OK, bottom end looks OK. I think she'll run if I get it freed up.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice job, well done :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's cool. You musta worked pretty steady on it to get-r-done so quickly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very Cool.

I had a '51 Ford 8N for many years. Fun stuff!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice job on the tractor.
ED
Yer never too old
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

claybob86 wrote:Very nice!
BTW, how did you get the engine unstuck? I have a Farmall 300, made in the '50s with a stuck engine, but haven't had much time to work on it. The head and oil pan are off, cylinders look OK, bottom end looks OK. I think she'll run if I get it freed up.
I have managed to restore 50+ tractors and most of them were stuck. The trick for me is, before you pull the head and pan, put some deisel and Rislone in the cylinders and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Then, put the transmission in the highest gear that it will go in, jack up(SAFELY) one rear wheel and roll it back and forth till it eventually moves. If that don't work, I'll pull the head(s), soak the cylinders with any good penetrating oil mixed with ATF for at least 24 hrs then try rocking it. If that don't work, find a piece of wood that fits snuggly into the cylinder and about a 3lb blacksmith hammer and tap on the top of the pistons. If that dousn't work, disconnect the rods from the crank and push the sleeves out with the piston still inside with a good bottle jack. I have had only one tractor that required the last step.

Be careful to find a piece of wood that is level and fits fairly snug into the cylinder or you will crack the piston.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice picture. Sometimes seeing things from back when most things were done right just makes my day a little better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Verrry nice. Those old Farmalls are just about indestructible. Around here there are alot of C, H and M that are way older than their owners, still putting in a full day's work.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really cool, Morgan. Being an ex-mechanic, I'm impressed with your commitment and expertise.
Old Law Dawg
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Excellent work - it's a beauty. Like kimwcook, I, too, can appreciate your work, as one who is mechanically inclined (I empty the pencil sharpeners around here).