Browning 1886 SRC recoil pad ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Browning 1886 SRC recoil pad ?

Post by brokenhand »

Looking for a slip on type. I've checked all the websites (Cabella's, Midway, etc.) that I normally check and I can't tell from their descriptions whether they will work or not. Any suggestions ? Thanks
Jim
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 1886 SRC recoil pad ?

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Why do you want one? For looks or to reduce felt recoil. If for looks, the site "rangerider7" put a link up for will work well, if for felt recoil, Cabela's has one called "The Shooters Friend". I think it works better than the Limbsaver.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... stid=32329
ED
Yer never too old
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Any lace-on leather, or velcro-strapped leather (Cabela's, etc) pad will work - but stay FAR away from those rubber slip-ons, as they will play hell with your stock finish.

I use this Pachmayr on several different rifles during Summer practice/sighting-in, to make up the difference between my warm and cold weather wear.

I branded it, so I wouldn't forget who I am. ;)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Pete44ru wrote:Any lace-on leather, or velcro-strapped leather (Cabela's, etc) pad will work - but stay FAR away from those rubber slip-ons, as they will play hell with your stock finish. Not if you slip them on and keep them on only while shooting or hunting.
ED
Yer never too old
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Brokenhand,

I have a Browning 86 rifle and a carbine, and I have a Pachmayr leather covered pad with velcro closure that I use on both guns. But because these guns have crescent and carbine butts, I carved two pieces of hardwood to fill the hollow in each gun. I've been shooting them for several years, and the pad-filler combination works fine. Here are some pics of the rifle:

IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/c ... 010008.jpg[/IMG]

hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

I've always liked the way the SRC buttplates fit me. The flat buttplates hurt me where a carbine buttplate won't. The only buttplate I've seen with this shape that is padded is an aftermarket one for the ruger, but I don't know if they fit other guns. Do they make a slip on pad that keeps the shape of the carbine buttplate?
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

Thanks again for all the replies.
Jim