Anyone with experience with Red Wolves?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Anyone with experience with Red Wolves?

Post by Hobie »

The Red Wolf has been reported locally. Supposedly the National Park Service (NPS) stocked some spayed and neutered :?: animals on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

[img]http://hal_macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/Redwolf.jpg[/img]
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Anyone with experience with Red Wolves?

Post by J Miller »

Do you suppose there were too many cats and cheewawas running around loose or something?

Why introduce wolfs, even sterilized ones to an area? Somebody needs to 'splain that to me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Why introduce wolfs, even sterilized ones to an area? Somebody needs to 'splain that to me.
I don't get that either. Just thought I'd ask... :wink:

Everywhere else they've been re-introduced they were in mated pairs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

No, do they taste good? Or do they just eat things that taste good? It looks like it would make an awful nice coat - assuming he has enough buddies also willing to donate.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Purty. I'd like one as a Pet to go with my Bobcat... :twisted: :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

We had them in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park for about 6-8 years when I lived there is the early 1990s. They reintroduced them into the park, but the pups kept dying. I cannot remember why. I did see three adults tearing a black bear cub into pieces one April in Cades Cove though. For those 6-8 years the coyotes completely left Cades Cove. Guess who ran them off. It was neat to see the wolves, but really ended up being a big waste of time and money for the Park Service.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Hobie,

Do you mean in Virginia? I know they have them in North Carolina. We had a grad student who spent some time in NC with a closed population that they were protecting and monitoring to increase numbers.

I hadn't heard that there were any around here - except for that guy who breeds red wolf hybrids for pets.

I have heard about BIG coyotes around - a friend of a friend shot a solid black coyote that weighed close to 100 pounds on top of shen. mtn. north of 33.
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Coyotes and Timberwolf together!!!

Post by win92 »

thought I'd inject a little northern Humour!!

regards win92
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Coyotes and Timberwolf together!!!

Post by Griff »

win92 wrote:thought I'd inject a little northern Humour!!
regards win92
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That was funny! Thanks for guffaws, win92!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

OK here is a pic (not great) of a Timber Wolf taken from my cabin window last march.
approx 400 yds away.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I remember reading somewhere that there is evidence in the DNA of the eastern coyote having red wolf in it.
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

Here is a pic from 20 years back showing a diverse color differance. These are all eastern coyotes except the fox in the middle. ranged in weight from 46 lbs to 32 with a aveage close to 36lbs.
most coyotes I've seen from the western proninces are generally smaller and more silver in color.
win92
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I talked to a park ranger 2 years ago and he said that Louisiana turned some loose about 10 to 15 years ago and they have worked their way west. They are mixing with the coyotes. That is why the coyotes are getting so much larger in Texas, not all just some. I have killed some 60 to 70 pound coyotes in the last two years. Some were coy-dogs some had some Red Wolf in them; I'm sure because he verified it when I showed them to him.
"That'll Be The Day"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

This is one of those subjects that everyone, hunter or non-hunter, man or woman, old or young likes to talk about. I know a bunch of us are out after coyotes this time of year and I thought the subject was a good one.

One of Mom's neighbors thinks the wolves are killing the coyotes which killed the foxes... BUT the neighbor between still has lots of cats... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

There is only one big dog. When wolves move in coyotes and foxes leave. I know this from a friends cabin in northern Wisconsin. Used to listen to all the coyotes howling at night. Don't here that anymore . Wolves were caught on gamecams a few years back and the coyotes left almost immediatly.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BenT wrote:There is only one big dog. When wolves move in coyotes and foxes leave. I know this from a friends cabin in northern Wisconsin. Used to listen to all the coyotes howling at night. Don't here that anymore . Wolves were caught on gamecams a few years back and the coyotes left almost immediatly.
Wolves sing better than Coys anyway...

ARRROOOOOOO! :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Old Ironsights wrote:Purty. I'd like one as a Pet to go with my Bobcat... :twisted: :wink:
Had one when I was a lot younger and it was a very good pet IMO. A guy came through Amarillo and was trying to sell them in the 80's. Very loyal as long as you don't make him angry.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

morgan in nm wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Purty. I'd like one as a Pet to go with my Bobcat... :twisted: :wink:
Had one when I was a lot younger and it was a very good pet IMO. A guy came through Amarillo and was trying to sell them in the 80's. Very loyal as long as you don't make him angry.
Bobcat or Wolf?...

Never mind... Same Same... :lol:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Old Ironsights wrote:
morgan in nm wrote:
Bobcat or Wolf?...

Never mind... Same Same... :lol:
Wolf. Shoulda seen the fight when a state policeman was going to shoot him because he "looked" threatening. The local sheriff was sure upset at the state policeman. Unfortunately, we lost him when we took him to the vet to get clipped. He came down with some type of infection. He looked just like the one in Hobie's photo.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

According to Texas Parks & Wildlife, the red wolf is "extinct" in Texas. However I am convinced I saw one from horseback two places over from mine. It was staring at a new calf and for some reason the momma cow and several others didn't seem to care.

The red wolf had never seen a man on horseback and just looked at me. It was on the other side of a fence that I didn't have permission to shoot across, so I left it alone.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

20cows, the park ranger I talked to said the reason that the state of Texas says that red wolves are extinct is that they are breeding with the coyotes so the blood line is mixed. This makes it easier to tell ranchers there are no red wolves in Texas. They just refer to them as coyotes. They don't want to cause an uproar. This is his words not mine.
"That'll Be The Day"
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

There is considerable debate in scientific circles on what a red wolf truly is. Most agree it is a hybrid of the eastern grey wolf and coyotes but how far back this hybridization occurred is debated. So this tends to muddy the waters today as to what constitutes a a true "red wolf", and whether our modern coyotes are further hybrids. It's also interesting to read about wolf/coyote interaction in Yellowstone after the reestablishment of wolves there. I enjoy coyote hunting and have always been fascinated by wild canines.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

20cows wrote:According to Texas Parks & Wildlife, the red wolf is "extinct" in Texas. However I am convinced I saw one from horseback two places over from mine. It was staring at a new calf and for some reason the momma cow and several others didn't seem to care.

The red wolf had never seen a man on horseback and just looked at me. It was on the other side of a fence that I didn't have permission to shoot across, so I left it alone.
20Cows, what kind of neighbor would deny you shooting across his fences? The surrounding ranchers to us cross our fences, drive through the property, and shoot over them any time, and we do the same. Guess folks are friendlier in CA. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I was in a neighbor's pasture looking for a wayward bull and the across the fence belonged to someone I don't know. I visited with my neighbor about it and he confirmed what I saw and also confirmed that that landowner knew they were there in a relatively isolated, rugged patch and he liked having them there.

I did the right thing.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

A trial introduction (or reintroduction) of sterile animals may allow a wildlife agency the opportunity to assess some of the actual problems involved in managing the "new" population without actually introducing a self-perpetuating group of animals to become established should the "costs" of the introduction outweigh the perceived "benefits". Obviously, various segments of the public are bound to disagree about the extent of the problems and whether or not the animals should have been liberated in the first place. A "sterile" population provides an opportunity to "recall that bullet after the primer has been detonated." For example, the mongoose was introduced into the Hawaiian islands to control rats, but wound up causing the extinction of many native Hawaiian birds. Had sterile mongooses been released in a "trial" in Hawaii, maybe some of the negative consequences of their introduction would have been recognized before they became successfully established as a self-perpetuating population.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I'd shure like to hunt wolf. I think it would make a nice addition as a rug to my man-den. Perhaps, one day the greenies will lose and they will reopen season on them.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I guess it would be a solution to an over run population of coyotes. Release some sterile wolves and run out the coyotes. Course then you would have to release sterile cougars to run off the wolves and then sterile lions to run off the cougars and so on...
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
greenacres
Levergunner

Post by greenacres »

In 1962 I saw a red wolf while hunting in a very large wooded area in eastern Iowa. It was the most regal and majestic wild animal I have ever seen. I figure it was probably the last wild wolf in Iowa because the government said they were extinct in this region by then. It was about 1/2 mile from the place where an old trapper showed me he used to set wolf traps.

A couple years ago I did some research on the Internet to find out more about red wolfs and this is what I read: Originally most of the wolves in eastern half of the US were red wolves, and there were several subspecies with the largest being in the upper Mississippi river basin. I don't know how accurate that information is and I would like to learn more about the red wolf but historically accurate information is scarce.
“You see in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” ~ Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

I lived in northwest Montana 81-86. Wolves were just "found" there by Glacier then. Now the bast*&% s are all over the northern states. In some places in Montana and other affected [infected] areas, the elk herds are plummeting in numbers.
Take a couple minutes and send an email to tell your crooks ,er ah ,reps, that you want a hunting season to control them. That does two things, controls em AND gives you another game animal to hunt!