Marlin 39D?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Marlin 39D?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Anyone have one of these?

I was in my local gun shop this week and saw a lever that they had not had before. It was marked as a Marlin 39D. Straight stock, octagonal barrel, slender forearm, with a circular emblem on the right side of the receiver. Looked to be in very good condition. The counter folks were all swamped - as usual - with people fear buying. I was on my lunch hour so had to scoot. I don't recall this variation - anyone know anything about it?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 39D?

Post by jdad »

It doesn't sound like a 39D. 39D's had a round barrel.

Check the barrel address. It sounds like a "39M Article II", with the "emblem" and "octagon" barrel. These were only produced in 1971. There were only about 3,800 39M carbines made. If it's in nice shape and under $400 it's a good buy.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jdad wrote:It doesn't sound like a 39D. 39D's had a round barrel.

Check the barrel address. It sounds like a "39M Article II", with the "emblem" and "octagon" barrel. These were only produced in 1971. There were only about 3,800 39M carbines made. If it's in nice shape and under $400 it's a good buy.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was mismarked. Again, couldn't talk to anyone about it, due to everyone being tied up with customers. I won't be down there for a while, but will check it out if it is still there.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That sounds like the 100 yr. commemorative built in 1970. They all had the octagon barrel, and medallion with horse and rider, 1870-1970.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looked it up on the on-line version of "Blue Book of Gun Values" and they list it as a "39M Article II Carbine". The description fits the bill, and this differs from the "39A Article II Rifle" in that the latter has a pistol-grip stock and 24" barrel versus the straight stock with a 20" tube. Both were made only in 1971.

Once I get back up and moving I will need to stop by the store and take a closer look at this one.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Article II didn't have the medallion with 1870-1970 on it. The Article II came out the following year, and had the saame octagon barrel, but had an oval medallion on the stock, not the receiver. The stock medallion was marked, "Article II".
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Vall,
The Article II only had the round red, white, & blue NRA medallion on the receiver. The 1870-1970 had the oval medallion on the stock and the gold round one on the receiver.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Have I started a... Marlin debate? :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jay,

Did it look like this one?

Maybe they miss read the LTD?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nope. No medalion in the stock, and the one on the receiver was red, white and blue.
rkt88edmo
Levergunner

Post by rkt88edmo »

Sounds like you might have seen a Marlin 39M 2nd Ammendment. I just bought one but haven't been able to get my hands on it yet :) Another interesting feature is the cresent buttplate. Should be very handy with the 20" barrel and the octagon is supposed to be lighter than the round.

IIRC, the pics of the one I bought the medallion didn't look red white and blue though - I think it was more brass NRA logo with a red outter ring. The seller took the pics down or I would post em up.