Scope for BLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
raptor1
Levergunner

Scope for BLR

Post by raptor1 »

Going out west next fall to hunt Anelope & Mule Deer in Wyoming. Planning to take my new Browning BLR in 7mm-08. Would like some opinions as to what would be a good choice as far as power, objective size, would a BDC scope make sence, make & model, ect.... After the hunt, I will be using the rifle for Pa Deer hunting....Anyone sugjestions would be helpful in making my decisson. I keep leaning towards a 4-14 power, but is that much power really necessary. Want to keep the rifle lite and quick handling..

R1
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

:shock: :roll: And a forward controller/spotter, too ? :wink: :roll:

That's waaaaay outta my class, pardner !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

4x Leupold on mine. Some like six.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

If you like variables, a Leupold 2.5-8x36 is a nice all around scope. It's about as large as I'd recommend. My first choice would be a straight 6x though.
Well done is better than well said.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Up here, in my neck of CA, we have some heavily wooded areas but we have much more wide open spaces where you can see forever and we have some of the best antelope hunting in the country especially on the "Likely Tables".

I am a fan of the fixed power scopes -- 4X or 6X and mostly use fixed 4X scopes myself but having said that, most of the guys here use a scope that is 3x9x40 for antelope hunting. Any variable in that 3x9 range will do and the brand of the scope isn't critical either. Of course Leupolds are great, but the newer Weaver Classics, and Bushnell scopes are good too.

Your rifle caliber is very good. The two most used rounds here for antelope hunting are Remington 7MM Magnum and 7mm.08. After that, it is the .25-06.

Good luck on your hunting adventure.
ED
Yer never too old
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

My thought is that a big, heavy scope like that will make your rifle handle like a 8' long pressure treated 4" x 4". See if a local gun store will let you bring in your rifle and try to temporarily mount a big scope like that on it. They may have a used one that they will let you stick on there to see how it handles. I'll bet you don't like the way if feels with that big scope on top.

I would stick a fixed 4x on it like the old Leupold M8. If you've got to have a variable I wouldn't go bigger than a 2x-7x, maybe the Leupold with a 33mm objective.

I think the scopes I see on most hunting rifles today are too big, too heavy, and with the upper magnification too high, even for hunting out west.

No offense intended, but how much experience do you have shooting at 400, 500, 600+ yards? I ask because a lot of people with little experience at long range shooting think they just need to put a big scope on their rifle to shoot deer at 500 yards, and that isn't the case.

As you can tell from the above I think 4-14x scope is way overkill and it will ruin the handling of your rifle. I think that 3-9x40mm scopes are too big and heavy. The few ounces difference don't sound like much but they make a huge difference. I also think you should try your rifle out at 400 to 600 yards and see how well it (and you) shoot at those ranges.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I hunt WY every year for antelope, MOST shots are under 200 some at 250 but you don't NEED to take them unless you want to, wait a while and another animal will come by. I love the leupold 2.5x8x32, short great scope that fits perfectly on a short rifle like your BLR, that is what I have on my BLR and my Kimber montana. I do have a couple 3.5x10x40 on some bolt guns but they 'fit" in length and weight.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

agree with most, 4x is plenty, maybe something like a burris 4x compact. have the nikon 4x rimfire scope on my blr.308wcf. accurate, holding up fine, but won't reccomend it untill 500 rounds have passsed thru it.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I have a luey fixed 6 power on my blr...its plenty strong and accurate..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
model55
Levergunner 3.0

scope

Post by model55 »

I put a leupold 2-7 on mine years ago and it is still there after 20 or so years never felt under powered.Only adjusted when I changed bullet weight.I'm mostly or was mostly a woods hunter though.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have the Leupold 1.75 x 6 on my BLR .308, and I love it. If you want a bit more power the 2.5x8 is a great scope.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a 4x. Actually they are both Leupold 4x - new and old.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I tend to agree with most on here. A good fixed 4X is sufficient. If you can get a neat compact in 2X7, that would be fine also!!! Good luck!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I beleive all the above opinions have plenty of merit in them - my $.02 worth - especially for PA deer is the Leupold 2x-7x - I think I own about 4 of them so far - they are a great scope and I would think with all the people in the posts - suggesting a fixed 6 - a top end of 7 power would work nice.

good luck on your hunt