OT - Purple Paint = No Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Purple Paint = No Hunting

Post by cnjarvis »

I know that in some states purple paint is used on fences/trees etc. to designate no hunting areas. Does anyone know which states do this and generally what the regulations are?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Purple Paint = No Hunting

Post by J Miller »

No I don't, but ....... what if you're color blind?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:No I don't, but ....... what if you're color blind?

Joe
I am color "blind", actually having color deficient sight. Purple might appear to be black to me. It has in the past... It was aluminum paint here, and "no trespassing", not "no hunting".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Joe
That's EASY:
No Hunting.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

here in Florida....
if you want to keep people out
all the land must be posted...
No tresspassing
no hunting
no fishing etc....
under penalty of law such and such
and if the tresspasser is armed...its a felony
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

cnjarvis wrote:I know that in some states purple paint is used on fences/trees etc. to designate no hunting areas. Does anyone know which states do this and generally what the regulations are?
Never heard of that. Signs rule here.
ED
Yer never too old
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Arkansas does the purple paint thing.
Piney
Levergunner

Post by Piney »

So does Missouri!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Warhawk wrote:Arkansas does the purple paint thing.
Now, is that written in the law or is it traditional?

Just curious.
ED
Yer never too old
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

In Wyoming, it's Yellow paint, but that's only a courtesy warning. A Wyoming hunter is obligated --BY LAW-- to know exactly where he is, and on whose property, and must have WRITTEN permission to trespass for ANY reason.

The property where I live is marked, posted, fenced and gated, yet we still have the occaional fence-crawler to deal with, (we have to keep the gate locked during hunting saesons, esp ELK...) and the local paper lists one or more idiots every week on the police page who haven't quite got the drift of things, or just don't care. Private property rights are strictly enforced in the Cowboy State, and always have been... (can you say "Johnson County War...???)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I Arkansas the purple paint marks leased hunnting land and no hunting is by signs.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The purple paint became law in Arkansas in 1987, Texas passeed it in 1997. Here in Arkansas it is painted on trees, fence post, and rocks to mark property lines on road frontage for no hunting or trespassing.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Here in Massachusetts if you post your land it must have a sign visible at eye level every fifty feet with your name and address on the sign. If it doesn't have those conditions the posting is not valid.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Modoc ED wrote:
Warhawk wrote:Arkansas does the purple paint thing.
Now, is that written in the law or is it traditional?

Just curious.

It's right in Missouri's hunting regulations booklet - at least it was the last time I looked (2006).
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We just made a 'stencil' out of an old metal sign, and use it to spray the words directly on trees or whatever. When I was a kid, a neighbor would spray paint "No Trespassing" on the hood and doors of any automobiles he found on his property; I always thought that was kind of cool, but I'd be chicken to do it. Besides, occasionally people will pull into a field entrance to get off the road if their car is messed up or out of gas, and they shouldn't have to 'pay' for the last guy who shot a cow, littered all over, and stole your chainsaw.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

here in KS it is interputed as NO HUNTING without written permission. If I understand it correctly, it give any game warden permission to enter the land and check the individual that is hunting to ensure all laws are being followed and to verify that the person has written permission IN HAND.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

In Montana hunter orange means no hunting and no trespassing. danny
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

We have the purple paint law, but we also are supposed to have written permission when hunting a game animal (that may not be the case for varmints and such.

Oh, yeah, TEXAS!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You're supposed to have written permission to hunt on private land here in Fla. as well and if the game warden wants to press the issue you better have it on you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Kinda sad we need laws, signs and paint. It would not occur to me that it's OK to go on someone else's property without permission for ANY reason. :?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Missouri Does!

I have painted a number of entry locations on the farm, but the still pop over and in.

We do not live on the place and hence, the farm looks abandoned. So they bind up the barbwire fence and go to huntin!
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know in many states people traditionally hunted across private UNPOSTED land. However, it was bad form to damage anything and at the time they were likely neighbors and known to one another. An individual could be ordered off. As the balance between farmers and town people changed the rules changed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

This is one area NY gets a bad rap for no reason.

Unlike those "hunter friendly" states, in NY a hunter or fisherman absolutely HAS the right to enter "unimproved" private property (not yer lawn, but yes yer field or forest) UNLESS legal posted signs are SIGNED with the name and contact info legible, and properly put up at least once a year. Some raggedy old sign ya can't make out is not a legal posting. Now, if I hunt on yer "not posted" woods, you can ask me to leave and I must, and if I come back I'm trespassing, but ya can't come throw me out if I'm already trailing a shot deer and ya never told me I couldn't be there and yer land isn't posted.

See, we have traditions of absentee (often corporate) landowners and a history of very powerful sportsmen who were wary of the whole state becoming a wasted "tree museum" while locking out the sportsman. Teddy Roosevelt was at the heart of our state forest preserve (the largest state land anywhere, almost all of it open to the public for hunting) and the laws regarding private land were about large lumber and paper companies not locking us out of the woods.....
Certified gun nut
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Here in Mississippi all private property is by law considered to be posted and hunters are requires to have written permission to hunt on private property. Last I heard trespassing carried a $350.00 fine for simple trespass.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

JerryB wrote:The purple paint became law in Arkansas in 1987, Texas passeed it in 1997. Here in Arkansas it is painted on trees, fence post, and rocks to mark property lines on road frontage for no hunting or trespassing.
Please cite Penal code for Texas. Thanks.

FP
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

DELETED
Last edited by Otto on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

The point is, different places have different traditions and laws to back em up.

Even here in NY, with the tradition of "open lands" hunting and gobs of state land as well, times change as "city folk" buy rural property. It seems one of the first things many of em do is post their lands, whether they use em or not. Once they actually settle here, they find the traditional reality is actually kinda nice. Farms and woodlots tend to be of greatly varying size, so you can, and I have wandered in search of rabbits or squirrels across several different lands, most often with little or no demarkation unless right by the road. Even then, property lines tend to be old stone fences or tree lines that paint a dim picture of a farm that may have existed 100 years ago...

What I'm trying to say is it's generally relaxed, with the notable exception of some signs that will forbid ATVs due to damage incurred, etc. Unlike the south (where I have spent a lot of time), it's not uncommon to see a pickup parked in an overgrown barway, the hunter walking somewhere back in the woods, with the owner taking no notice until and unless there's damage, trash, etc.

My defacto practice range is one such place. There is an active logging road that is chained off, so I park on the shoulder of the hard road and walk in, but in the many years I've used it,Ifinally met the owner once as he was walking his dog. We chatted about what guns I was shooting, and he only said "please don't shoot glass" (which I never do anyway). It's kinda nice.
Certified gun nut
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Thanks for the replies. I know that Oklahoma does not have a "purple paint" reg. and I was curious to know universally it was understood.

My family has a fair amount of land and at the moment a small part of the stewardship falls to me and later, much if not all of the stewardship will be my responsibility. What I would like to accomplish is the posting of the land without having to buy all of those signs which can be quite cost prohibitive and time consuming. My intent is not to prohibit hunting per se, but to make it abundantly clear (nevermind that the law is already so) that entry without permission is expressly prohibited. The purple paint or something similar seems an easy way of accomplishing this.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

AD Jack and I share many of the hunting experiences as far as how land is posted and treated. Here in Massachusetts, with the exception of some towns, any land that is unposted is considered open.

I don't like the idea of using only paint to mark your land. To me it opens up to a wide amount of fraud. Many people are not aware of property lines between public and private land. I can see some individual spray painting trees on a piece of public land to give himself and enclave of sorts.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:

Joe
I am color "blind", actually having color deficient sight. Purple might appear to be black to me. It has in the past... It was aluminum paint here, and "no trespassing", not "no hunting".
Well , I "AM" color blind !

Blue and purple look the same to me !

And brown and green pretty much look the same as well :o
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !