New 94AE, questions, comments **PIC ADDED**

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

New 94AE, questions, comments **PIC ADDED**

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Well, picked up the 94AE this weekend. Happiness is!! Seller was great and the gun is in very good condition. Wood is great for a Ranger with a much darker stain then I am used to seeing on a birch ranger. No crossbolt or tang safety. It came with 100 rounds of factory 150 ammo, 200 Hornady 110gr bullets, hammer extension, scope bases and weaver rings. $400 for all.

Put a scope on it this weekend. Choose a 2-7x32IR Centerpoint from wally world. Why? Because I really wanted a 2-7, I'm cheap and the dang thing was right there in front of me! Thinkin the IR might be kinda worthless but we'll see. IF I don’t like the Centerpoint I’ll pawn it off on a friend of mine that can’t shoot straight anyway :twisted: :lol: . To tell the truth, the scope almost ruins the guns looks and handling. Really don't like scopes on em at all. But for a primary hunting weapon I believe that nothing beats or comes close to a low power variable scope so I'll have to deal with it. Did have some trouble getting the scope mounted. The scope was to short between the "bells" and I had to pick up some Weaver ext. rings to get it on. Made the scope a little high at almost 1.75" above center of bore. Still get a good “chin” weld on the stock. LOL

About the action: It seemed a bit stiff at first. It might have been that I was just babying it too much. I’ve cycled it a good 200+ times and it has helped tremendously. I did order a Wofle hammer spring kit for it though. Did it about 2 hours after getting home on Sat. with the gun. I got the kit that has both the 13 and 15lbs springs. Also, the lever edges are dang uncomfortable. It didn’t take long to relize that I needed to wrap some paracord around the lower part. Done. Need to get some leather though.

20” vs 16” barrel: my last 94 was a trapper and the 20” gun seems to have quite a different feel from the old gun. Could be memory, getting older…… Where was I? Oh ya…….I know of a gunsmith that charges $25 to shorten and crown a barrel. Thinkin about seeing how much additional it will be for a new sight dovetail and a shorter mag tube. If I can get it done for around $100+/- I might do it. But for the life of me I can’t figure 3.5” off the barrel making that much difference. What say you guys? Worth $100 for a shorter barrel? $150? Etc?

LK

BTW, was gonna post some pics but either PhotoBucket is messed up or my PC is. Couldn't get them uploaded.
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New 94AE, questions, comments and basic BS session....

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sounds like a fair enough deal. Enjoy. Shoot it for a while before you chop it. It`s hard to stretch it back to 20" after it is cut. :D
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

"Fair" is probably a good word for the deal. Around here beat up Win 94's go for $250 and decent used 70/80 vintage Marlins for $275-$300. Figure I have $300 into the gun and it's worth it for me to have the straight stock and style I like. I do have a wire stretcher and left handed hammer around here someplace that may get that barrle back to 20" if I chose. LOL
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sounds like a real good deal ---- i have a similar rifle and like the extra magazine capacity for the 20" barrel, a 20" barrel is still considered carbine length-- just go shoot it a few times, you might like it better :D . Most everyone on Gun Broker now thinks even the Rangers are made of gold now, (well- prices between 400 and 600)
----- Doug
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i love the 94 ae some complain about it. i have a ranger ae 30-30 and a 444 carbine ae. lovem both.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I am glad for you, I miss my little trapper. I would not shorten it just yet, why not see how it goes?
Hope it's a shooter. I reason my last one had an eccentric chamber now, I was looking at a recovered bullet the other day and noticed the rifling lands had engaged more on one side than the other and so checked other old shot bullets from it and yep, same.
Let us know how it shoots?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Well, I shortened my 20" Ranger to 16 1/2" a year or two ago myself. Also shortened the magtube, cut and crowned the barrel, and cut a dovetail.

Prior to this, I was getting 1.75" groups at 100yds with Win 150gr PP and around 1.25" grps with 170gr PP and nothing has changed except the handling.

I definitely like it a whole lot more.

So if you really want a Trapper sized lever, go for it.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have AEs - think they are great. 30-30 groups to 3/4" at 100 yds. - 25-35 - 1".
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: New 94AE, questions, comments **PIC ADDED**

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Decided to add a pic the previous had e-mailed me prior to purchase. Not much different that any other 94AE but this one's MINE!!!!

As posted above, since I've gotten it I've ordered a some Wolff springs, added the 2-7 scope and wrapped the lever with a black lace. One of these days I'll get a pic in it's current form and some better pics.

LK
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here they are.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

I have a question about those Ranger front sights, and my front sight for that matter.
I had a Winchester given to me, a 1976 model that was pretty neglected.
I put an old model 92-94 SRC buttstock and long type forearm on it and removed the front ramp and moved the barrel band foreward.
I noticed the rangers had a dovetailed front sight so I had the dovetail cut in my barrel for the front sight. When it was done I was a little concerned because at least at the middle of the dovetail there really isn't much metal between the bore and that sight.
Anyone have problems with that? It just seems like it' awfully thin in that area. Maybe there isn't much pressure by the time the bullet gets to that last inch of barrel but it still seems like a weak spot.
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

lk that is a good lookin gun. i like the wood!