POLITICS - Active Dangerousness as relates to Mental Health

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Lastmohecken wrote:I need clarification on this new law. Am I to understand that if someone living in your household is bi=polar, that you must give up your guns? How will this happen, will someone confiscate your weapons? Or are you just not allowed to purchase anymore, because you can't pass the NICs check?

Please, someone explain this law in layman's terms.
In Laymens terms:

There is a commonly used legal fiction called "Constructive Possession". This is the method by which Law Enforcement is able to charge everyone in a house with "possession" of a prohibited item like drugs even though it is just lying on the coffee table.

Constructive Possession is also frequently used as an "enhancer" when guns are found in a raided house and one or more people in the house are also "prohibited persons" - essentially saying "the gun is accessible to the "prohibited person" and therefore in his Possession.

There is also some question about LEGAL possession in the case of Community Property States if one member of a Marital Unit becomes, or is, a "prohibited person". Technically, they then become Owners of things they cannot legally "possess".

Until this bill, there was no practical way for a Government Agency co correlate Mental Health Adjudications with Gun Ownership records - like they do, and have done when cross-matching Firearm Season Hunting Licenses with the FELON records in the NICS.

This bill changes that.

Even assuming absolute perfection by the Government :roll: in compiling a list of persons "adjudicated" as "mentally defective", then that list of tens of thousands, if not millions (some suggest as high as 20million) people will have their names and addresses correlatable with hunting license records, CCW records etc.

Even if the "prohibited person" has never participated in hunting or even wants to handle firearms, the correlation itself will be enough for an anti-gun Attorney General to obtain a warrant to make sure that ALL firearms and ammunition in a home is stored in such a way as the "prohibited person" in the household cannot have even "accidential" access to them.

If they do, then a violation of "Federal Gun Law" (TITLE 18, PART I, CHAPTER 44, § 922 (g)(4) ) has been committed... "Felony Possession" on the part of the "prohibted person" and "delivering a firearm/ammunition to aprohibited person" by the "gun Owner".

"Judge a law by the worst reading, & in the hands of the worst enemies of the 2nd Amendment"

Can you think of a more realistic - and doable - "worst reading"?

Do you trust a Hillary/Barack/Rudy/Mitt run AG & BATFE to NOT follow through on this?

Here is what a BATFE agent of my aquaintence in Spokane WA had to say:
Ooooo, I always enjoy a good Zen koan.

You can see where this answer is going... the answer is dependent on which of the anythings might be in whose definition of any, of thing, and of possession. I remember a fellow, young and hypoglycemic, living at home with his parents. The fellow happened into a set of circumstances where a quantity of inventoried articles in his legal ownership might no longer be in his possession, where the court-rulings-definitions were then explained within my earshot as meaning that the articles could not be where he could access them, not even accidentally. The huge safe could stay, but his dad would have to get a locksmith to change the combination away from the combination the son knew. That conversation took place in California, but I've heard similar in other places, so I'm thinking it's one of those "whatever the judge says" kind of things. No, I don't remember seeing the word "possession" defined in the NFA or the GCA, but when I (sometimes) read the transcript of a court ruling (rarely, but sometimes I look at what's new), it's the sort of thing that our and their and each others lawyers hash out in specific instances where the answer you're asking me to hit is a moving target.
(Note - he wasn't even "Crazy", just Hypoglycemic...)

I have a "safe" that will hold my guns (but not my ammo) - but I guarantee it is not, and will not be "sufficient" to the Feds and a "safe storage" requirement... which is utterly undefined.

Assuming I don't get arrested and charged wth a felony for leaving my ammunition "unsecured" the Fed could quite easily require that I buy several thousands of dollars worth of massive safes... or to build a Vault Room (like they do in OZ), or any number of financially impossible things in order for me to keep my guns and ammo.

Even assuming I could do that, this bill and such correlations would give the BATFE carte-blanche to "inspect" my "Safe Storage" to ensure I was complying with their regs... just like they do to Stocking FFLs.

And just like Stocking FFLs, the only way they could prove that I was complying was if they hade serial number verification of all firearms "possessed" - so all my guns would have to be registered.

Can you see how quickly the slope gets really steep?

"Judge a law by the worst reading, & in the hands of the worst enemies of the 2nd Amendment"

It's not paranoia when you can show EXACTLY how they can - and will - attempt to disarm you.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Swampman wrote:Here you go....

Copyright 2007, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
I thought you had gone away... :roll:

Hmmm... I'm a Life Member of the NRA. I don't think I've EVER seen that Spin before... :roll:

If it weren't a problem, why do you & the rest of the NRA/Brady PR staff have to Troll forums trying to justify yourselves... without answering any substantitive questions?

Oh, maybe actually providing substantiative answers would be a hinderance to my insubstantial rantings.

Got it.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

"Hi. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

When we rely upon government for anything, we no longer rely upon ourselves. Freedom is lost one issue at a time. The fact that supposed supporters of the 2A condone any amount of government control on this leaves me bewildered.

Two types of American's... those who favor more government and those who favor less government. More government is less freedom. The fact that the NRA supports anything short of
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
keeps me from ever joining.

As far as I'm concerned, lobby groups don't have rights since they aren't people. The fact that they are even allowed near our representatives is sad as they're interests usually revolve around $$ and not my God given rights. I won't join a group that will compromise my rights one iota.[/quote]
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

A couple of years ago my dad wen to purchace a gun ,he couldn't pass the background check because it said he had a felony.Needless to say he didn't really but someone with the same name a couple counties over did.Guess what, my dad had to foot the bill to get it straightened up.I can see the same thing happening in someone like O.I.s situation.It seems more and more that it is not the truly guilty that pay but the innocent or someone who messed up a little.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

DDude wrote:"Hi. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

When we rely upon government for anything, we no longer rely upon ourselves. Freedom is lost one issue at a time. The fact that supposed supporters of the 2A condone any amount of government control on this leaves me bewildered...
Shh. You will get labled as an "extremist" or if you aren't careful...

---------------------------

Please Ghod... Let your Preacher Preach and let a Leader Lead...

GO RON PAUL!
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rebel1972 wrote:A couple of years ago my dad wen to purchace a gun, he couldn't pass the background check because it said he had a felony. Needless to say he didn't really but someone with the same name a couple counties over did.Guess what, my dad had to foot the bill to get it straightened up. I can see the same thing happening in someone like O.I.s situation.It seems more and more that it is not the truly guilty that pay but the innocent or someone who messed up a little.
Guilty until you prove yourself Innocent (or Sane).

Yaay NRA. Thank you for all you've done. (GCA '68 & now HR2640) :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I dont think that they(big brother)will ever just outlaw guns outright.They will make in inconvenient and politicaly incorrect to own one and the innocent will become outlaws .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rebel1972 wrote:I dont think that they(big brother)will ever just outlaw guns outright.They will make in inconvenient and politicaly incorrect to own one and the innocent will become outlaws .
Too late. Been there and done that. :?

You are right though. Not even the Soviets "outlawed" guns completely. They "allowed" rural folks & political hacks to keep shotguns...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

Old Ironsights wrote:
DDude wrote:"Hi. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

When we rely upon government for anything, we no longer rely upon ourselves. Freedom is lost one issue at a time. The fact that supposed supporters of the 2A condone any amount of government control on this leaves me bewildered...
Shh. You will get labled as an "extremist" or if you aren't careful...

---------------------------

Please Ghod... Let your Preacher Preach and let a Leader Lead...

GO RON PAUL!
I'm extreme in my defense of the Constitution, something I swore to do when I became a US citizen, unlike a native born American who never has to do the same. The day I stop defending the Constitution is the day I need to pack my bags and return to Canada.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

DDude wrote:...I'm extreme in my defense of the Constitution, something I swore to do when I became a US citizen, unlike a native born American who never has to do the same. The day I stop defending the Constitution is the day I need to pack my bags and return to Canada.
Unless you are a Veteran/Active Service member... :wink:

I took the Oath too. I'm with you. :D
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I don't belong to the NRA, and haven't in several years. I believe they are trying to at least have some imput in this law, rather than have it written without their input.

I took the oath too.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~