How do you remove a barrel on a 94 Winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

How do you remove a barrel on a 94 Winchester?

Post by Str8man »

How do You remove a barrel on a 94 Winchester?
Is this difficult? can you do it at home?
I did remove the barrel on an old 76 once but used a pipe wrench with the frame held in a padded vise and I did the same on an M1A1 demilled Thompson SMG.
I don't want to mess my 94 up but I'm thinking about a barrel switch on it.
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How do you remove a barrel on a 94 Winchester?

Post by jdad »

You should use a barrel vise and then you use a receiver wrench, to turn the receiver.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Str8man,

If you believe P.O. Ackley, then you can use a bench vise & wooden blocks with rossen powder to hold the barrel, and a giant Cresent wrench & heavy "shipping tag" to turn the receiver off of the barrel. Others may disagree.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The M94 barrels for the most part are not in that tight. I prefer to use an action wrench to keep from warping or bending the action but a large cresent wrench with aluminum jaws or jaw liners will work in a pinch. Sinnce the barrel isn't really tight a good 6" bench vise with hardwood blocks will work. I cut my blocks from seasoned pee elm and if there is any slipppage rosin or powdered sugar will hold things tight. The action wernch can easily be made from a 2 foot section of 1" square stock and another smaller section and a couple of 1/4" bolts. Use brass or aluminum between the steel and the receiver to prevent marring. If your vise has enough room around it and you are in a real hurry you can simply work the lever about 1/2way and use the breech block for suppport in the action, no need for complete disassembly. IF you do this be SURE the block is far enough back so that the extractor isn't in the recess or you will be buing a new one.
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

KCSO wrote:The M94 barrels for the most part are not in that tight. I prefer to use an action wrench to keep from warping or bending the action but a large cresent wrench with aluminum jaws or jaw liners will work in a pinch. Sinnce the barrel isn't really tight a good 6" bench vise with hardwood blocks will work. I cut my blocks from seasoned pee elm and if there is any slipppage rosin or powdered sugar will hold things tight. The action wernch can easily be made from a 2 foot section of 1" square stock and another smaller section and a couple of 1/4" bolts. Use brass or aluminum between the steel and the receiver to prevent marring. If your vise has enough room around it and you are in a real hurry you can simply work the lever about 1/2way and use the breech block for suppport in the action, no need for complete disassembly. IF you do this be SURE the block is far enough back so that the extractor isn't in the recess or you will be buing a new one.

Thanks,
I got a good visual on the wrench from your description.
I'll probably try that.
I believe I do have some of that tubing around.
Dave
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

i will have something later :mrgreen: