New Year's resolutions....How many of you kept them?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

New Year's resolutions....How many of you kept them?

Post by ScottT »

I had two:

1) the Levergunner Challenge, which I kept and which did me a lot of good. (I will have a new challenge in the new year, and it may interest some of you who want to get the most from your levergun.)

2) To read the Bible from cover to cover, and I am almost there. I got really bogged down in the Old Testament and it has been difficult to really read it without just skimming over it. But I will make it.

Anybody want to talk about resolutions?
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

This year I resolve to keep the resolutions I haven't kept in years past. But if history is any indication, that won't happen. :roll:

Happy New Year everyone!
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Tried to lose 10 pounds last year, will keep trying this year after the feasting has finished.

Also hope to try the Levergun Challenge this year.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I've only kept one.... but look where it got me...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Pressed the submit button too quick!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have never made one in my life. I just do whatever I have to do when the time comes. -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: :oops: :oops: If I don't lose some weight to get my BP and Sugar down, I'm gonna die early......You'd think that would motivate, wouldn't ya? :oops: :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Blain,

I started the year in terrible shape. My lower number on my blood pressure was rarely less than 100!

However, it is now in the 70s and stays there. My cholesterol has dropped in half and my blood sugar is down.

No more headaches or dizzyness.

Work at it! It will be more than worth it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ScottT wrote:Blain,

I started the year in terrible shape. My lower number on my blood pressure was rarely less than 100!

However, it is now in the 70s and stays there. My cholesterol has dropped in half and my blood sugar is down.

No more headaches or dizzyness.

Work at it! It will be more than worth it.
YesSir.....I was doing good before a hernia operation a year and a half ago, and just let everything go. We'll get it done this year :!: Thanks for caring............
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats on reading the Bible cover to cover. Every one who is serious about thinking about what is going on here ought to do that.

"Be strong and of good courage for I am your sheild and your great reward."

What surprised you of what you read? I had a few.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

My resolution is to continue not making resolutions. Can't screw that one up. :wink:
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I sure didn't keep mine about losing 50 pounds, but I'm working on it again.

As for other resolutions, I didn't make any. However, this past year was full of life lessons learned, but mostly still learning. :D I'll talk about 'em someday.

I am considering taking last year's levergun challenge this year. Given our move last year, it was impossible, but things are getting in a groove now and I might actually get my reloading gear unpacked and set up this year. :lol:
.........THE TWINS..........

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I found a lot of surprises in the Bible. Particularly references to words and phrases in Masonic ceremonies that I did not previously know where they came from. It was easy going through the NT, but the OT was very difficult.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

ScottT wrote:I found a lot of surprises in the Bible. Particularly references to words and phrases in Masonic ceremonies that I did not previously know where they came from. It was easy going through the NT, but the OT was very difficult.

What translation/version were you using, Scott? Some are much more readable than others.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't make resolutions either. If it needs to be done, I try to do it. If I can't, I don't need to kid myself that I planned to on New Years eve. :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

My new years resolution was not to buy any more guns so I could save up and buy a Shilo.

I got half of it right. :oops:
Slow is just slow.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I did the Levergunner Challenge successfully but didn't get the Bible read though. I won't even tell ya'll where I lost track... :oops:

This year I will be looking forward to Scott's new challenge, and will probably do the old one again too. I will also take up the Bible again hopefully I'll get it done this year. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I am using an NIV Study Bible. Pretty easy to read and excellent backup materials. Almost there!

My Masonic Bible, which is ever on the corner of my desk, is a King James Version and although beautiful, would be very difficult to read and understand.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A Bullinger's Lexicon to the Greek and English New Testament is one of the most useful study aids I have used. It gives the occurence of each English word and what Greek word was used and the definitions. Some verses are not really fully understandable without knowing the meaning of the Greek word used and of course and exhaustive concordance. But, as you now know, reading it straight through gives an understanding that you will get no other way. The depths cannot be plumbed - there is always more. "Those with an ear to hear..."

As one who lives on what turns on the meaning of a word, you will likely immediately appreciate the value when you look one over.

One enlightenment for me was "faith is accounted as righoueness."
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

resoulutions

Post by rjohns94 »

I plan on having to be right less, giving more time to family, giving more of my blessings to those less fortunate, to be a better neighbor, friend, father, husband. To love God more and spend more quiet time listening to him. After my leg heals, to exercise 260 days of this year. To want less for myself, and appreciate more what I have. To work less and laugh more. To be less moody and to choose to smile more. I want to see more sun rises and sun sets. To watch less TV. To serve others with humility. To speak only in truth and grace, and hopefully the right balance of the two. To always be on watch as a sheepdog. To stop and help more people stranded on the roads with flats or car problems. To take more walks with the dogs. To spend more time sailing on the Chesapeake this summer. To love passionately as if there is no tomorrow. To discover where God is working in my life and join him. To be less tempted and more charitable.

these are a few of the things I will be working on this year.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

ScottT wrote:I am using an NIV Study Bible. Pretty easy to read and excellent backup materials. Almost there!

My Masonic Bible, which is ever on the corner of my desk, is a King James Version and although beautiful, would be very difficult to read and understand.

I have an NIV Study Bible and like it a lot, but changed over to the NASB this year. It is a bit more literal than the NIV and some verses are clearer in the NASB than in the NIV.

The Study Bible notes can be quite helpful, too. That is why I used mine for so many years.

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I appreciate the advice, but I needed to (for the first time in my 45 years on this earth) at least read it through once.

Next year I can expand my study and I intend to do so.

BTW, Cubrock, I like the twins!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: If I don't lose some weight to get my BP and Sugar down, I'm gonna die early......You'd think that would motivate, wouldn't ya? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Blaine,

Three years or so ago I walked out of the doctor's office with a month's supply of blood pressure medicine and instructions to come back in a month for a check up and another batch of pills. I walked home, into my bedroom, put the pills on the night stand and never took the first one. I decided to change my way of thinking and my way of living. Instead of being reactionary I would take things calmer. To this day my blood pressure is normal. There's a lot to work on, health wise, but it's doable. One big problem we have when working on health is an "all or nothing" attitude. Plus we tend to want results NOW. We have control over what we eat, but too often we don't. I'm not talking about logging every crumb you put in your mouth, I'm talking about paying attention to the kinds of foods we eat. I stay away from starches and sugars for the most part and have been able to maintain a good blood sugar level. Now we live closer to town and I walk to do errands for the most part. It does a lot for you when you put more time into physical excercise.

Hang in there, you can whip it. One step at a time and when you slip, get back up and keep on going.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: New Year's resolutions....How many of you kept them?

Post by AmBraCol »

ScottT wrote:I had two:

1) the Levergunner Challenge, which I kept and which did me a lot of good. (I will have a new challenge in the new year, and it may interest some of you who want to get the most from your levergun.)

2) To read the Bible from cover to cover, and I am almost there. I got really bogged down in the Old Testament and it has been difficult to really read it without just skimming over it. But I will make it.

Anybody want to talk about resolutions?
I'm not very good about "formal" resolutions. But each year I have what I call my "Yearly prayer". Basically it's "Lord, give me two men." And each year He does bring two men into my life whom I can help, evangelize or minister to in one or many ways. This year one of them came into my life towards the end of the year. On the brink of separation and with his life twisted into a knot. Now he's started on a better path and his family is doing much better. This isn't bragging about "Look what I can do!" but rather an encouragement to folks to ask God to use you as He sees fit - to make a difference in other peoples' lives. If we focus outwards instead of inwards our whole outlook will be healthier and we'll live better and happier as well.

Another area I worked on this year was in getting more range time. Having picked up a Crosman 1377 I was able to afford more time shooting - which improved my performance with other short guns as well.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

ScottT wrote:I appreciate the advice, but I needed to (for the first time in my 45 years on this earth) at least read it through once.

Next year I can expand my study and I intend to do so.

BTW, Cubrock, I like the twins!
Scott, another good tool is E-Sword - from http://www.e-sword.net . You can download a bunch of versions, do all kinds of searches and also have access to a bunch of commentaries and other study aids. It's no substitute for a good, paper Bible, but it's a great study aid. It's got the Strong's concordance and other neat stuff. And the best part is, it's free for the download - if you like it then send a donation to help maintain the site.

I'd encourage folks who are interested in studying the Bible to give it a look.
Paul - in Pereira

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had 7 personal goals for 2007, and I accomplished only 2. Not so hot this year... :(
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

this is not really a resolution, but I am going to try to get up earlier and do some things with my day. I like to stay up late but then I don't get started and the day is practically wasted.

If I can do that other things will fall into place.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

ScottT wrote:BTW, Cubrock, I like the twins!

Thanks! :D

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

A year ago, I resolved to not make any new resolutions in 2007. First time in my life I've ever been successful keeping my new year's resolutions.

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I got in on the Out of shape/overweight thread on the old board and did manage to lose 50lbs over the course of the year. Walk regularly now and feel better than I have in a long time. Problem is..... I still have 50lbs to go!! :( I'll keep trying.
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I wanted to quit smoking...Didnt happen as thats a tuff one for me

I also wanted to lose about 20 pounds. I didnt gain any but didnt lose any either.

Another tuff one for me (and one I fight with everyday) is I wanted to find answers on my personal journey to God/religion...Didnt find any answers only more questions.

I'll try for all three again this coming new year.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

steveb wrote:I wanted to quit smoking...Didnt happen as thats a tuff one for me

I also wanted to lose about 20 pounds. I didnt gain any but didnt lose any either.

Another tuff one for me (and one I fight with everyday) is I wanted to find answers on my personal journey to God/religion...Didnt find any answers only more questions.

I'll try for all three again this coming new year.

Keep on keeping on. If you want to find some answers, try looking into The Truth Project http://www.thetruthproject.com They have some excellent material, it may be of help to you.
Paul - in Pereira

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I was gonna buy a levergun, and I just kept that resolution!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."