Hard Cast samples?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Hard Cast samples?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'm wanting to pick up some cast bullets for my 30/30, .32 mag and .357. Around here they are going for $50-$60/500 so I'll be going thru the I-net. The only problem is I don't want to be buying 500 just to test some loads and see what work best in each gun. Only need 30 or so of a bunch of different brands and weights. Even a hundred of each would work but I don't want 500 for experiments.

Ideas? Maybe someone out there has a large selection and they might sell me some samples of each?

LK
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Hard Cast samples?

Post by Bob A »

LK,

I've got a couple of 30-30 bullets I can share, with and without gas checks.
I would also like to give a plug to Magnus Bullets. They volunteered to send me
FREE samples of one of their 30-30 bullets that I wanted them to do custom sizing.
They sent the bullets. I tested them and ordered 500. Very good service.

Bob A
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

LK: I cast .357 with some regularity.

The question is... What do you want to do with it?

The 358156 (HP) GC is a pretty standard bullet. If it shoots well in your gun, anybody who casts it is going to cast it about the same.

180gr Solids are more variable.

Now, what I would suggest you do is send an email to Mike Rintoul at Cast Performance (a Leverguns sponsor... wink, wink...) and tell him just what you told us.

I'm guessing, but I think he might be accomodating at packaging up a "sampler pack" if he thinks you'll end up buying his really well made bullets. :mrgreen:

http://www.castperformance.com/StoreFront.bok
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I think you 1st need to define what you mean by “hard cast”, then find out what is out there. What maybe hard cast to you may not mean the same to another.

Do you have any idea as to what diameter you need or want?

BearTooth sells Bhn 22 heat treated cast bullets + lubed & sized in boxes of 100

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

Magtech also sells in boxes 100

See also Grafs
http://www.grafs.com/metallic/555

Berry sells box4es of 250 for around US $20.00 - 25.00:
http://www.berrysmfg.com/products.aspx?c=72
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It does not cost a whole lot to get in the casting game. You can have a decent set-up for what an average used rifle is worth and thats a nice bottom pour furnace, sizer-lubricator, and a mould or two. You can always add on as time goes.

Casting bullets is not rocket science. I do it and I learned just by reading the Lyman manual and trial and error when I was 18 years old. Its a learning curve that easier than driving a car-------------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks for the ideas and offers guys. I'll be looking some of you up for some possibles.....

What do I want to do with em? What size? What's my definition of "hard cast"? Ya guys want the short answer? Whats the fun of that....

The .32 is my woods bummin gun. Need to find a more accurate load for it though. Haven't had any luck so far trying all sorts of combo's with Hornady XTP's and 94gr Meister cast bullets (.312). Think the .312 cast bullets may be a bit under sized and I'm thinkin I need to try some .313's or 4's.

The .357 see'ss plinkin action on occasion and goes deer hunting on occasion. It doesn't get shot much so bullets for it are the least priority. I like the .32 Mag Single Six that much more even it it don't shoot near as straight.

The 30/30 is my new "experiment" gun. I hoping to work up some loads to use on all sorts of game. Small game, coon, fox, coyote, etc (not deer, not legal). More or less an everything gun including plinkin and maybe cowboy silhouette. I could be perfectly happy shooting short jackets, varminters and Sierra 125's if it wasn't for the cost. Any "hard" bullets that shoot accurately when pushed between 1600 and 2000+ fps should be good for what I need. Cast size = ?????

Up until a couple weeks ago I completely dismissed casting my own. Looking at the cost and availability of supplies is kinda changing my mind. But still, I really don't like reloading enough to think that casting my own would add any enjoyment for me. I really like working up loads and testing but after that I'd rather just buy em, load em (get it over with) and shoot em.

I'll be getting ahold of some of you and see what it's gonna take to pry some lead outta you hands. Also call some of the companies you recommend too.

LK
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

IIRC, ATF imposes an excise tax of 11% on ammunition manufacturers. They consider commercial casters to be manufacturers so there is S O M E amount of paperwork involved with each transaction. If this correct, few casters can afford to be sending out free samples so this why you probably see some casters who sell sampler packs.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Also Dave Jennings of Montana Bullet Works(one of the site sponsors on the Leverguns page) might be able to help as well. I shoot his 200 gr..359 FNGC(its the RCBS design) in my 356 Win. with great results, and he is great to work with.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thinkin I might try some 100-115gr 32/20 bullets in both the 30/30 and the .32 mag. Will probably have to run the bullets to be used in the 30/30 thru a sizer but if it works I will only have to buy or cast one bullet design.

Does anyone out there have any cast 32/20 bullets and a .309/.310 sizer?
Opinions?

LK
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

rimrock wrote:IIRC, ATF imposes an excise tax of 11% on ammunition manufacturers. They consider commercial casters to be manufacturers so there is S O M E amount of paperwork involved with each transaction. If this correct, few casters can afford to be sending out free samples so this why you probably see some casters who sell sampler packs.

I've never had any paper work involved in the purchase of the cast bullets I've every bought from a commercial caster.