OT ammo storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT ammo storage

Post by MikeS. »

I need some ideas on a cabinet to store ammo, loaded rounds that is. Over the past few months I have bought a LOT of ammo. The safe is over flowing.

Is a metal cabinet a bad idea in case of fire?

The ammo is going to be kept either in the garage or a wood storage building, "shed" If that matters any.

I'd thought about just putting it on wood or plastic shelves but figure I better secure it more. A locked cabinet of some sort.

TIA,

MikeS.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I think as long as it is secure, dry and somewhat cool temperature wise, you should be OK.
I picked up a locking metal cabinet and took over a closet in the house to store mine.
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

I keep mine in the basement in a locked metal cabinet. I almost never get any water in my sump hole so moisture is not a problem for me.
David S
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Ammo, primers, and powder storage depend on where you live, i.e., the temp and humidity. Here in north Louisiana in around 5 years you'd have ruined ammo by storing it in a garage or outside shed. That's the VOE talking.

Mine is all in an operating frost-free refrigerator, top and bottom. It stays low humidity and at either 36 or 20 degrees American.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mine is stored in GI ammo cans on wooden shelving in the basement. Quantities and varieties have grown a bit since the photo was taken but you get the idea.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm with Hobie on this one. I use surplus GI ammo cans for my ammo storage. All of it, primers, powder, loaded ammo. I think short of a full blown flood and everything being submerged in water forever, it will last forever. I haven't been able to think of a better way of stoying ammo.
Old Law Dawg
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

I have most of my ammo currently stored in an old "parsons bench" made for me by a good friend of mine. With the current move going on it sets in by friends living room. We used a dry wall screw to make sure the occasional kidling wouldn't be tempted. The rest is in the new house in ammop cans in the closet. I coverred it with plywood and have most of the rest of the closet full of box's of treasured keepsakes (read as "junk") :roll: :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Like mentioned by Junior, humidity can be a problem if you live in certain parts of the world. Whatever cabinet you choose, I'd suggest you use surplus GI ammo cans to store ammo in. Mine are painted with chinamart cheap rustinhibitting rattle can paint. Then calibers are marked with stickon numbers/letters. You can use the smaller 30 caliber cans for calibers you don't have much of and the larger ones for those you have more of. The best part is, they seal well and keep your ammo dry. I've stored ammo like this for over a decade with no problem - that is, over a decade in an unclimate controlled shed exposed to high heat and bitter cold, depending on season. It's all sure fire to to this day.

The only problem I see with a metal cabinet would be finding one that would stand up to the weight of the ammo inside. Lead and brass are HEAVY in large quantities.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Paul,

That's absolutely correct. You can see my cans are labeled on the "front" but also are labeled on top. The 2X4 Basics shelving set-up can handle the weight of the cans. I really need to re-do it as I didn't build the shelving wide enough. I need to add two cans width.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:Paul,

That's absolutely correct. You can see my cans are labeled on the "front" but also are labeled on top. The 2X4 Basics shelving set-up can handle the weight of the cans. I really need to re-do it as I didn't build the shelving wide enough. I need to add two cans width.

That's a nice looking setup, Hobie. I like your labeling, probably neater than mine. The first time I labeled cans we had some sticky numbers/letters left over from doing the mailbox. So I just slapped those on top. Since they were stored at a low level that was sufficient. With labeling across the front like that it makes for a neater setup when shelving is used. I could use another can or so for 38, ended up storing it in an old camera bag I picked up at a yardsale for a quarter or so. It's not as heavy as other calibers so that's what it road around in all last summer.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My set up is similar to Hobie's. It's in th basement w/ a dehumidifier. My dad used to keep it all in the garage when i was growing up. Wasn't the best place for because of the changes from high heat and humidity in the summer to below zero temps in the winter. When they sold the big house he gave me most of the old ammo. Had to destroy a lot of it.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, a dehumidfier is necessary in the basement.
Sincerely,

Hobie

bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I recently made room in the gun safe by pulling out the ammo & placing it in surplus ammo boxes. Ammo boxes .... why hadn't I thought of that before? Too obvious.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I live in the high desert region of NM and store mine in GI ammo cans and a wooden cabinet mainly just so snoopy eyes don't see it.
I have stuff that is over 30 years old and still works so I must have done something right.
If fire is an issue remember you want something that will let the gas out when the shells,powder, primers cut loose. Also make sure the fire department knows which room the stuff is in before they walk in if you can makes them a lot calmer then to have the stuff start going of when they are next to it.
Also like others have said bullets and shells are heavvvvvvvvvvvy when you have a lot in a small space. Mine sit on 3/4 inch plywood shelves that are maybe 30 plus minus inches wide to handle the weight.
Also if read the fire code it says they are to be in a 1 inch thick wood cabinet or box.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

The G.I. ammo cans usually have a rubber gasket in the lid, so I've seen. Will this keep out the humidity?

Mostly my storage is going to be located in an uncontrolled temperature environment. Garage or shed. It will be exposed to heat and cold, humidity can reach 75% in the summer with temps as high as 100 rarely, usually highs in the 95 range. Winter some days as cold as 0.

I can try to get it in a closet but then the wife will know exactly how much I have bought recently. But at least I can weather that storm and keep the ammo for many years.

Best bet would be to suck it up and keep it in the house?

How bad for the ammo to keep it in GI ammo cans in the shed?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Hobie, how wide is that cabinet now?

Is there plywood from the front to the back or just air between the 2x4s?

Thanks man,
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well GIs keep the cans out in the weather hence the gasket but it isn't good for prolonged storage. This is why the military's ammo bunkers are earth covered. That helps modify the temperature extremes without costly heating and/or air conditioning. My wife can't see through steel and count rounds... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

MikeS. wrote:
How bad for the ammo to keep it in GI ammo cans in the shed?
Mike, I've stored ammo in a shed inside GI ammo cans for over a decade. Humidity was fairly low, but the temperature swings (especially inside a shed which can turn into an oven in the summer) were drastic. Everything I shot last time north was sure fire - even 22 lr which is notoriously finicky about poor storage conditions. It ain't the best, but it's better than unsealed storage. And I always paint my ammo cans with rust inhibiting paint, just in case and because I like flat black better than olive drab.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Hobie, are you trying to make Senator Schumer's list of slightly over prepared enthusiasts?
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

MikeS. wrote:Mostly my storage is going to be located in an uncontrolled temperature environment. Garage or shed. It will be exposed to heat and cold, humidity can reach 75% in the summer with temps as high as 100 rarely, usually highs in the 95 range. Winter some days as cold as 0.
Perfect conditions for misfires and verdigris.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

MikeS. wrote:Hobie, how wide is that cabinet now?

Is there plywood from the front to the back or just air between the 2x4s?

Thanks man,
Mike,

Those are 2x4s front back and in-between.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Hobie, are you trying to make Senator Schumer's list of slightly over prepared enthusiasts?
I'm just trying to enjoy life. :wink: Every can is full or nearly so for that particular cartridge. "Low volume" use cartridges get the small cans. I have a 20mm can full of reloaded 12 ga. (about 1200 rounds) and a waterproof locker for the rest of my shotgun ammo.
Sincerely,

Hobie

MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Well I'm guess I'm gonna have to move it inside, clean out a closet to the shed where the ammo was gonna go.

Build a rack in the closet and store the ammo cans there. I've got too much money tied up in all this to just blow it :) Oh wait, thats what you are supposed to do with ammo...
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.