92 trapper Takedown 44 magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

92 trapper Takedown 44 magnum

Post by hfcable »

Show and tell but not sell:
this started life as a winchester 1892 20" 44/40 carbine, by the time i got it, it had been rebarreled and reworked to 44 magnum; i sent it off to a montana fellow who was then living in south carolina and had him make it into a takedown and shorten it to legal trapper length of 16".
it is a novel takedown mechanism, someone showed one like it here some time ago: push button magazine release and does not have interuppted threads on the barrel. it locks together very tight and after a little work on feeding works quite well. i dont push the loads but it functions well and is very accurate with hard cast 300 gr. bullets that would probably do the trick on most things, and still feeds and shoots well with 44 special loads as well. has a little soft takedown case that makes it neat for truck or even a fly-in fishing trip,etc.

taylors has been promising to make a 20" case hardened short rifle 92 in takedown in 44 mag, but they say they have not made any yet.
guess i will stick with this one.
cable
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 92 trapper Takedown 44 magnum

Post by dbateman »

very nice thanks for sharing
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

So was it a big job cos i allways wontd a take down rifle and that is just awsome
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for sharing that! You do have the neatest guns... :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Harold, that is so very kewl. I like that push button design. I wish all my leverguns were take downs.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ingenious - and very cool! 8)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats way too nice....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

VERY NICE!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

That is very nice. I have an early 1970s 94 that is what we call a "reservation gun". It is a beater an I got the fresh of the reservation in a trade. The someone sanded off the bluing and plating on the receiver. I did a plum brown job on it with so so results. At least it isn't shiney like it was. I leave the gun in my cabin in New Mexico and use it as my ATV gun while I am there. I have thought about doing what you did with your 92 with it. Can you give us some details about the take down conversion in regards to cost and the smith's contact info? Also, does anyone know if the removal of the plating affects the strength of the receiver?

Thanks

Dave
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I REALLY like that take-down system ! !

It's MUCH nicer than the issue system, IMHO.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BwanaDave wrote:That is very nice. I have an early 1970s 94 that is what we call a "reservation gun". It is a beater an I got the fresh of the reservation in a trade. The someone sanded off the bluing and plating on the receiver. I did a plum brown job on it with so so results. At least it isn't shiney like it was. I leave the gun in my cabin in New Mexico and use it as my ATV gun while I am there. I have thought about doing what you did with your 92 with it. Can you give us some details about the take down conversion in regards to cost and the smith's contact info? Also, does anyone know if the removal of the plating affects the strength of the receiver?

Thanks

Dave
it was done long ago, and i think the smith that did it moved back to montana. total cost for takedown and barrel shortening back then was 250.00.
i am not sure if anyone does this particular conversion anymore. they used to advertise this work in gunlist i think.
cable
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

hfcable, that is a cool carbine. I have been wanting to attempt a break down conversion for awhile now. I think I have most of the details worked out, if you could answer a couple of questions I would be gratefull.
How is the fore end wood attached to the take down block/extension?
Is the front barrel band secured to the barrel somehow, so it stays in place when it is taken down?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

salvo wrote:hfcable, that is a cool carbine. I have been wanting to attempt a break down conversion for awhile now. I think I have most of the details worked out, if you could answer a couple of questions I would be gratefull.
How is the fore end wood attached to the take down block/extension?
Is the front barrel band secured to the barrel somehow, so it stays in place when it is taken down?
i will take a look at this this pm and let you know,
cable
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Way Cool!!! :mrgreen:
ED
Yer never too old
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

The TD conversion is fairly simple, think the first one I did was about 20 years ago, with simple hand tools, borrowed my buddy’s drill press and lathe.
Later I made a 2 barrel set (For grins & giggles) , carbine & rifle.
I believe on the early one I pinned the forend to the td lug with a brass pin, from the rcvr side that, coupled with the front band holds everything pretty tight.
Later on the 2 barrel set I made the TD lug like Winchesters, complete with threaded mag tube.

Mike
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is really neat :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

hey now , i might have to try that with a 94.
pretty cool stuff.

thanks, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

IIRC I saw that in one of my vintage gunsmithing books.
other than that, never saw one up close.

Very nice.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Mike Hunter wrote:The TD conversion is fairly simple, think the first one I did was about 20 years ago, with simple hand tools, borrowed my buddy’s drill press and lathe.
Later I made a 2 barrel set (For grins & giggles) , carbine & rifle.
I believe on the early one I pinned the forend to the td lug with a brass pin, from the rcvr side that, coupled with the front band holds everything pretty tight.
Later on the 2 barrel set I made the TD lug like Winchesters, complete with threaded mag tube.

Mike
Mike, are ya still doing this kinda stuff? Seems that you'd have some interest.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

bsaride wrote:Mike, are ya still doing this kinda stuff? Seems that you'd have some interest
Yes & no... I've been known to make a second bbl set for TD rifles, so folks with collectable rifles can have a 2 bbl set. That gets a bit pricey,

If I were to convert standard levers to TD type, I would want to do it right. For example, most folks use just a 1/2 inch or 3/8 steel plate for the TD extension, I haven’t taken a real good look at the one posted, but I assume that it’s the same. Not sure how the FE is held in place, maybe some addl pics.

I would use a TD extension like Winchester used, about $250 for CNC repo’s. I’m also not real crazy about the button arrangement to hold the mag tube in place: I just have a feeling that it would quickly fail. Small button, not a whole lot of bearing surface, and really not a whole lot of plug below the surface.

The couple of carbines that I built for myself used the same arrangement, a bit on the light side.

As you know Winchester used an 8 tpi square thread to hold their TD mag tubes in place. No way that is going to let go, Winchester put some thought into it.

So if I price this out in my head, $250, for the TD lug, figure $150 for a TD mag tube w/lever & plug assembly, So you’re looking at $400 for parts alone, add another $200 for labor and it’s now priced way outside what the market will bear.

So yes I will do one if someone is willing to pay the price.

Mike
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mike, you are right about this button arrangement. if i used this a lot especially with heavy weight loads, it would hammer itself pretty badly. i think of this gun as something to carry conveniently and use occasionally only. ii was hoping the taylors import was going to be available in 44 mag, but i dont think that they believe it will hold up. they do have the 45 colt version but again, it might not hold up to stiffer loads, even though it has the original style takedown.
cable