OT - Feral Hogs on Discovery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Feral Hogs on Discovery

Post by cnjarvis »

Did anyone see that show last night around 10 pm central? It was about the feral hog situation in the US. I knew that I have them on my property in NW OK but I didn't realize that they were that bad! :shock: There were accounts of pigs attacking humans including one that was caught on film, hunting with dogs etc. Very good show I thought.

The show was:
Pig Bomb

TV-PG (V)

Pig Bomb reveals a little known animal invasion - Wild pigs are reproducing out of control in the USA. But it's not only their numbers that are increasing, the individual animals are getting bigger, and they are also becoming more aggressive.
Last edited by cnjarvis on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Feral Hogs on Discovery

Post by C. Cash »

I saw a good bit of it....great show! They actually included some good old boys with their Hog dogs as a valuable part of the research team! Love it. I think what we have with the Hog problem is the chance to feed alot of our folks who have no food. Wish I lived closer and I could help in this process. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I did see it. Looks like they need some more levergunners to help out with that problem. :wink:
NRA Life Member
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

TedH wrote:I did see it. Looks like they need some more levergunners to help out with that problem. :wink:
I hear that! Looks like I'm going to have to get serious about hunting them. :twisted: :twisted:
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I watched most of it before becoming frustrated and bored. They looped the same photos and video over and over and over and over again. If you saw the first ten minutes, you saw nearly all the hog videos.

They over dramatized everything and even made some of the video clips grainy to make it look authentic. Some of the stuff reminded me of the movie "The Blair Witch Project." After each commercial, which were frequent, they’d spend 90% of the segment reviewing the previous few segments, then 5% was spent with new information, and the final 5% spent teasing the viewer on something coming up to help get you through a series of commercials, mostly about the host channel.

Anyway, let me sum it and save you an hour of frustration: wild pigs are breeding in America faster than people are willing to kill them; they are spreading their territory into most of the states; the pigs may be getting more aggressive because of cross breeding with dominant Eurasian boars and acquiring their genes; and MOST IMPORTANT - the only way to solve the problem is to study to death the pig's DNA and everything about them before coming up with a solution - and of course that will cost lots of MONEY. The program was essentially a funding proposal for more pig DNA research edited for public consumption and propaganda.

That was my take anyway. I tried to enjoy it, but my cynicism wouldn’t allow it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The only pig problem we have around here is finding room in the freezer for them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

C. Cash wrote:I saw a good bit of it....great show! They actually included some good old boys with their Hog dogs as a valuable part of the research team! Love it. I think what we have with the Hog problem is the chance to feed alot of our folks who have no food. Wish I lived closer and I could help in this process. :mrgreen:
I had to laugh. Apparently they thought the accent as spoken by the "good old boys" was such that it need sub-titles! :lol:

On a more serious note, we had some locals who tried to introduce some hogs here (against the law) to provide "hunting opportunities". They did that, for all the locals who promptly, and legally, killed every darn hog. I think the 30-40 hogs were on site for not more than 4 weeks.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

A good Hog is one hang'n in the smoke house :twisted: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Rusty wrote:The only pig problem we have around here is finding room in the freezer for them.

:D Build a smoke house. They taste better that way also.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

We have feral hog out here in NW Washington. When the logging camps closed back in the 80's the food pigs were just released. About ten years later the problems started, tore up farm land being the biggest problem. The Washington Fish and Wildlife class the pigs as just that "Feral Hogs" and not as game. No license, no rules. Baiting, spot lighting, whatever weapon you choose is fine. Just take them anyway you can. They can be very aggressive and dangerous as wild hogs though.
AJMBLAZER
Levergunner

Post by AJMBLAZER »

Michigan's starting to have this problem too. It's raised a lot of eyebrows (in a pro-hunting, pro-gun good way) when the words "no season" and "pest" were mentioned.
Have guns. Want a levergun soon.
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I had lunch today with a friend who lost a Beefmaster calf to Hogs. They killed and ate the whole thing, hooves and all. I have them near my house, but never see them, only where they root and their tracks. Other friends trap and kill them with good success.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Bait the darned things. Corn and diesel fuel mix. The nasty beasts love the stuff.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Bear 45/70 wrote:Bait the darned things. Corn and diesel fuel mix. The nasty beasts love the stuff.
Huh?!?!?! :o
AJMBLAZER
Levergunner

Post by AJMBLAZER »

My pickup just went, "ewwwwwwww."
Have guns. Want a levergun soon.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

cnjarvis wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:Bait the darned things. Corn and diesel fuel mix. The nasty beasts love the stuff.
Huh?!?!?! :o

Recommended by a Washington Fish and Wildlife Sgt. I know. Echoed by a guy living in the Wynoochie River Valley which is where the highest concentration of feral hogs are around here. The biggest he ever killed was a 297 pounder.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

How does one avoid the tusks? I have heard that you can jump quickly to the left or right and they can't turn fast? I noticed the guys in the program would all go up on a tree trunk when they released one. I had originally bought my 356 Win. in 1992 in the hopes of hunting Hog in Central CA, but moved before I could do it. The idea of hunting hogs is still exciting and hope to travel to do it someday soon. Texas sounds fun.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The diesel (just a tad) is added to keep the deer and other animals off of the bait - the hogs don't love it, they tolerate it and eat the corn anyway. Especially if you blend in some molassis ;)

And as to eating them - the sows and young boars yes for sure- even if its just ground for sausage. The big stinky boars? No way! Those are the nastiest dang things going!

Oh and for spot and stalk pig hunting - here's the ideal rig IMHO:

That's a pistol grip conversion Saiga .308 with 20 round mags.

Of course, I'd feel very well armed with a good levergun too :D Especially this one:

A .356 Win chambered 336
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Busted mine with a 45 Colt.

Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

If you want them to hang around for awhile, soak a burlap bag in used motor oil and then wrap it around a tree. They love to rub against it.
when your enemy is within range so are you