what gun you wish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RangerClay
Levergunner

Re: what gun you wish

Post by RangerClay »

I let a brand new belium Browning model 71 in the original velvet hard case get away from me. Guy wanted $500 :(
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

The Marlin 1894 in 22mag that I traded in on a Remington 700 Varmint 222...which I also wish I had back :lol:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Paco wrote:CUTTER ASKED WHAT GUN WE SHOULD HAVE PURCHASED BACK WHEN AND DIDN'T ... GOOD POST....
BUT HOW ABOUT THIS..
WHICH GUNS DID YOU LET GET AWAY ...THAT YOU NOW WISH YOU HAD NOT... REALLY WISH NOW YOU HAD NOT LET THEM GO ?!!!!!! :cry: PACO
The first one that springs to mind is a stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum, with a spare 9 mmP cylinder. I passed on the stainless steel model in favor of the same pistol in blued steel. A short while later, I learned that Ruger had discontinued that particular gun in Stainless Steel after a short run, and that collectors were driving the prices up. When I went back to see about buying the stainless gun, it was gone.

I comfort myself with the fact that if' I'd bought it, I would have shot it. And I'm sure I'd have shot away the collector value.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

Back in the early 80's I had the chance to buy legally from a class3 dealer a real "BAR" for $960. A lot of money then.
But it is THE ASSAULT RIFLE. Just ask any German soldier which American weapon they feared most.
MMOMOH-55
Levergunner

Post by MMOMOH-55 »

Ruger #1 in 30-06. Sold it to a guy who owned a pawn shop. Out of work at the time. It would shoot 1/2" groups right out of the box. Never have gotten a #1 since that would shoot as good as that 30-06.
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

I always wanted a Savage Model 99 in 250/3000 ,but means and opportunity nevr coincided ( like them big words?????)
GIT 'R done
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I used one in .250-3000 extensively when I was working on a ranch out in Nevada that was littered with coyotes. It worked pretty darn good for me, and I wouldn't mind having another in .308. It belonged to the foreman, a good friend of mine. During calving season, I had to check on the heifers every four hours, but couldn't trust myself to wake up, so I'd stay up all night spotlighting coyotes. (The ranch was even paying for fuel and ammo!) Learning to shoot a scoped rifle ain't that easy when you're having to hold a spotlight at the same time, just to be able to see through the scope.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
William
Levergunner

Post by William »

Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited II, stainless chambered in .45 LC. For $10 less I chose the blued model in .44; 1:38 twist vs 1:20.

And the S&W model 57, pinned and recessed barrel, wide trigger and hammer, which I sold because I thought .41 mag ammo was too hard to find.
Last edited by William on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
specops
Levergunner

Post by specops »

Many but the worst of the lot was a Belgium Browning SuperPosed 20 ga. in Diana Grade back in 1968. I gave an ex-Navy buddy $250 for it including the hand fitted case. Sold it to pay medical bills for my daughter's birth. :cry:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

What were they gonna do? Make you put her back? :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

I had to leave these two firearms in Baghdad in 04. Mint 1944 dated MP44 and a FN engraved BHP that belong to Saddam Hussian. Both were captured in one of his palaces south of Baghdad International Airport. Of course both guns had to be left behind. I returned 6 months later and they had disappeared.

CD
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I'm not one for 9mm's or pimp gus, but that BHP is awfully nice!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a chance to get a pair of stainless Ruger AC-556's for about $4,000 each in 1986. I could have borrowed money at credit card rates, bought them, and turned around now and sold ONE for more than both cost. Made some money, and had "a nice cat gun" to boot. :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

William wrote:Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited II, stainless chambered in .45 LC. For $10 less I chose the blued model in .44; 1:38 twist vs 1:20.
OUCH - I feel your pain! :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

My 264 mag in remington model 700 bdl and my brand new browning 9mm. I found a browning in the 1970's style like I let go but have never seen another 264 mag like I had. Only mag that I could shoot worth a darn.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
JakeR
Levergunner

Post by JakeR »

In the mid-eighties I traded my first Colt Bisley for a 5 screw 3.5" Smith model 27. It was beautiful and a fine shooter.
Let a good buddy talk me out of it somehow. I have other 27s, but still miss that one.
dgnick_336
Levergunner

Post by dgnick_336 »

Sold a S&W Model 57 (.41 Magnum) w/ target hammer hammer, trigger, and grips, 4" heavy barrel, and adjustable sights. Gun was in 98%+ condition. Bought it at a gun show for $500 from a guy who said that he had to sell it because he was out of work. Shot about 100 rounds thru it with a buddy, gun shot great. Sold it a few months later, took it to another gun show and wasn't looking to sell really just judge the market and priced it to a guy for $550 and he took it. I didn't think he would take it since several others had turned the gun down when I told them the price...my mistake.

Missed a great opportunity almost two years ago. Local gun shop had a Model 99 Savage in .300 Savage in 95% or so condition, complete with tang rear sight and brass cartridge indicator. Asking price was $500 and I just didn't really have the money. Always wanted one just like that...dang.

As far as guns I would love to have, the list is just too long to post.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ..."
--Thomas Jefferson
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

About 5- years back, I had to pass on a Savage '99 in .300 Savage; it was a choice between it and a Paul Jaeger FN Mauser '98 in .30-06. Both were $200, and I was having to replace a saddle I'd just ripped in two.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

brucew44guns wrote:It doesn't gnaw my guts out, but a small gunshop I go into frequently in Abilene, Kansas had taken in trade a model 57 S@W. It was very nicely blued, 4 inch barrel, 41 mag, and had a letter from S@W that they had charged the original owner 85 dollars to slick up the action and trigger. It was about the nicest handgun for function I ever held, like a slicked up Python as if they need slicking up. 350.00 would have taken her out the door, in 2003 it was. I needed to "think" it over, and alas, when I came back 2 days later it was long gone.
Gday brucew44guns
Done the same deal recently over a colt SAA Bisley in 38/40, next day was gone, faint heart never gets the fair lady eh
Rgds
The telegraphist
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Big Jake .338
Levergunner

Post by Big Jake .338 »

I have foolishly sold or traded off several guns over the years that I wish I had kept...2 of them being a Winchester model 70 .338 Win Mag and a "cherry" Marlin .45-70. I have missed both dearly ever since. Luckily I was able to get another .338 a few days ago in a Ruger but have not been able to swap, steal, or borrow another .45-70.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

After I had just gotten married(first time WW1)my brides father asked if I knew where he could get a small handgun. I had just bought a Smith five shot (135.00)and told him about it,he asked if I would be interested in a trade. He pulled out a German Burp gun with an active bolt,I traded with him(this was in 1967)I really didn't know what I had.

I took it to the firestation where I worked and every body passed it around and acted like little boys,then this guy named Rodger said I'll trade you an M-14 for it! I saw a gun that I had carried and knew and said hell yes.

My first wife(WW1) didn't like it so I traded it for a Browning Sweet 16,she didn't like it either,so I traded it for a house full of rattan furniture.

Two years later I got rid of her,bought a few guns and lived happily ever after till I ran into (WW2)lived with her for 8&1/2 years then booted her.

Now I have 27 rifles&shotguns ,13 handguns and only bring girls home that aren't scared of guns!

Bob :)
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

What a sad story... at least there's a happy ending. No matter whether I replace hem or not, I always miss a gun I gave up. I guess I'm in a committed relationship with every gun I own!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

A couple of years ago I did not purchase a wood stock Savage 110 lefty bolt in 30.06 for $350. Now I can't find one!

What gun I wish I could find is a Savage 110 LH in 300 Savage. If I come across one of them that I can afford, I will not hesitate!

- MacEntyre
rich64
Levergunner

Post by rich64 »

I would like to get a good levergun in .44mag, either Marlin,Winchester or Henrygun will do. I'm simple I don't need nothin fancy.
A man's got to know his limitations.
been2c
Levergunner

Post by been2c »

I lost a bunch while traveling a few years ago but the two that really hurt were a 5 1/2" .45 Custom Ruger Bisley built by Milton Morrison and a .44 mag S&W 629 Classic with a 6 1/2" 624 barrel installed and worked over by jim Stroh. Big ouch! They got my grandfather's pocket watch in that haul as well as several other guns.
jim

Life Member: NRA, LEAA & TSRA
Life Member: NRA, LEAA & TSRA
Southern Man
Levergunner

Post by Southern Man »

My biggest mistake in gun trading was in 1998.
The gun was a Barret semi automatic .50 BMG
Included was a Leupold Mark 4 -10x
A special high dollar loading press for .50 BMG
A bunch of new and once fired brass
A bunch of 750 grn bronze bullets
A bunch of ammo ,and some other odds and ends.

The price was $3500

The gun alone is around $10,000 now
I was suppose to shoot it the next day in time to go to the bank and borrow the money if it shot good.
He sold it that night

Southern Man
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Want us to take turns kicking you in the nuts, just to distract you? I'd have sold my wife to make that deal happen! Only woulda had to get $1/pound!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Southern Man
Levergunner

Post by Southern Man »

I had blocked it from my mind until I read this topic.

Southern Man
Southern Man
Levergunner

Post by Southern Man »

I was looking through LSN this morning , and there was a Barret like the one I let slip through my fingers.
It is new in hard case with Swarasiyki/Barret scope.

The price
$12,000

Southern Man
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

A dollar a pound!!!!!!
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Post by plinkin pete »

Had a chance to buy Ruger 44 mag carbine,cheap price years ago.
let a Win model 67 go and been sorry ever since (first 22) :x
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

With three exceptions, I've never sold a gun without coming to regret it.

! - Remington Model 788 Carbine in .308 and my first Mossberg M-500, both sold for eating money after a rough divorce.

2 - AKM-47 sold to cover a check I'd gotten in payment of a debt. The check bounced after I'd cashed it and I had to sell the rifle to pay back the bank. I never was able to collect that debt.

3 - Colt Stainless Officers' ACP. I traded it to a co-worker for an S&W M-686, gunleather, and beaucoup brass and ammo. On the up side, I did get it back with an even trade for a Taurus PT-92, I was glad to get my .45 back, but I do miss that old Taurus

4 - A Pedersoli Rolling Block in .45-70. I sold it to Andrew Felt to help pay for a new roof. I sure do miss that old rifle. It was lots of fun shooting with blackpowder.

5 - Marling M-1895 G in .45-70 sold at the same time as the Rolling Block, for the same reason.

6 - An SKS rifle for the same reason as #'s 4 & 5

7 - Ruger Super Blackhawk with a Blackhawk gripframe, ditto

There are more but why depress myself with memories?

The three I didn't regret were two Marlin M-1894's in .44 RemMag that I could not get to feed properly, and a Ruger M-77 All-Weather Stainless in .300 WinMag that I could not get to group as good as shotgun with a Modified Choke. I do regret not removing a 3-9x50mm Leupold scope before trading it.

I also sorely regret several missed deals, chief among them a Merwin Hulbert 2nd Model .44-40 WCF. It had a 3.5" barrel and most of it's nickle finish. The old gun was in perfect working order, though a bit freckled, and was priced, IIR, at $395.00. I couldn't afford it at the time and the next Merwin Hulbert I held in my hand was a .38 MH priced at $995.00 and the next .44 Merwin Hulbert I saw was in worse shape than the first one and priced at $1200.00. I still kick myself when I remember that deal.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
brionic
Levergunner 1.0

Post by brionic »

Sold a so-clean-it-must-be-new M27-2 revolver a few years ago because it was a spare, and we needed the money to pay for the kids' tuition. Turned a nice little profit, but I still wish I hadn't done it, especially considering the prices of N-frames today. Haven't sold any rifles, but I've passed on a few that I regret:

1 - a super clean FR-8 with some of the best figure I've ever seen in a milsurp stock;
2 - an FN-49 in .308;
3 - an HK 91 seized in a pot raid in Mendocino, and offered to me by one of the COMET types for - gulp - $1000, which I couldn't afford back in those halcyon days of yout'; and especially
4 - an Uzi that a coworker who carried Israeli diplomatic pouches offered to "lose". A little nerve-wracking, that one, but...

Oh yeah, I passed on a B-92 .357 at King's in Glendale about eight years ago because they wanted - gulp - $599 for it! Oops.
I have wondered many times what the $525 that I spent on my first handgun in 1989 would have bought if I had been guided to a vintage Nframe, rather than a shiny new wondernine... :roll:

Overall, I've been mostly judicious about buying and selling guns,so my saddest stories regard vintage guitars that I let get away, and a '68 Camaro that I creatively parked in someone else's garage and garden - at the same time... :oops:
Last edited by brionic on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Marlin 1895GS (stainless guide gun in 45/70) -- i didnt necessarilly let it get away, but it was destroyed in a motor home fire before i had a choice to put one round downrange with it

:(

as well, a compact Taurus DA, blue in .44 Spl, and a Mini 14 GB(folding stock version) ----- i wish financial circumstances had permitted me to keep these 2 as well, but alas
----- Doug
donsbook
Levergunner

Post by donsbook »

I worked for AT&T/Western Electric and in 1983, while working at the GTE building in Tampa Florida, had a chance to redeem a pawn ticket for a beautiful German Luger.

One of the GTE workers had pawned the Luger (I think the price was 400) and couldn't redeem it. He was going around asking if anyone would like the pawn ticket for FREE. I considered it and decided to not take it.

I've always wished I had redeemed the ticket and now I would have a nice Luger! Hindsight is 100% and painful sometimes!
Don
NRA Endowment Member
Eli Chaps
Levergunner

Post by Eli Chaps »

Only one gun I could of had and wished I would've.

A Ruger Black Hawk.

It belonged to a friend of mine. A serious gunman and amateur (meaning by vocation only) gunsmith.

It was a 4 5/8" bbl nickle-plated BH that started life as a .45Colt. At that time there were no production runs of conversion guns and I recall him corresponding with Ruger over the course of a couple years until he got his .45ACP cylinder.

Then he did a bird's head grip, fitted the wide Red Hawk Hammer, made his own gorgeous grips, and slicked everything to perfection. That gun was beautiful to shoot. It fit sooooo good in my hand and fell to natural aim like butter to toast. I think a deaf blind guy could hit a target with that gun. It was flat beautiful in every regard.

He knew I loved that gun and one day out of no where he calls me and offers it to me for $450. That was in '99. Even then it was less than he could get for it. I couldn't believe he wanted to sell it. He had letters from Ruger about their correspondence on the gun. He was a gun builder and I recall him talking about a .218 and twist rates and such. His new project.

I was separating from the service then. With a wife and two kids and no lined up job and bills to pay. I was literally days away from getting out. I struggled but I just couldn't do it. Made no sense.

But man, that is the one gun I wish I could've bought.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
A 5 shot Charter Arms in 41 Special.
A model 92 in 41 Mag...
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

A colt python with a real nice leather police type holster, belt and two boxes of shells for $350.
Had no clue what a python was or what they were worth. The gun alone was worth more than the $350
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
Sharktown
Levergunner

Post by Sharktown »

Colt Diamondback, had a great blue finish and accurate as all hell. Jacketed or cast it didn't matter the gun shot them all well.

Traded it in for of all things a S&W 9mm stainless pistol - I was young and stupid. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that gun and hated taking it to the range. Traded that one in for a new Dan Wesson 8" stainless .357 SuperMag that I still have and love shooting, accurate and well balanced - it loves cast bullets.
Still wish I had kept that Diamondback though.......

Sharktown
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

One that I sold, and wished I hadn't--a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum. I needed a few bucks at the time, as I was young and stupid. One that I wished that I jumped on was a Winchester 94 Trapper in .45 Colt. Guy wanted $300 for it in almost pristine condition. I waited, then waited, then waited some more, and it was gone. :oops:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Several years back a guy I knew from work also had a small
gun shop.He kept bugging me to buy a nickel 3 inch older Colt
python for $600 I did not see it but he said it was fine!
For like 2 months he would stop over to my Dept. and say I
really want you to have this because you love guns so much.

I was hung up on Stainless Steel guns and had bought a SS Raging
Bull 454 a couple of weeks prior and was getting flak from the wife
because she thinks I am overboard gun crazy.

Man oh Man I wish I grabbed that little thing
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I've been very lucky in the wish I had one and ended up with one department. I wanted a 308 target quality bolt gun and ended up finding a custom built Mauser 98K with match barrel and Timney adjustable trigger of next to nothing from a friend's father that wanted it to go to a good home. I even had enough money left over to have a custom built to fit me stock made for it. Then along came another Mauser 98 in 22-250, match barrel, set triggers and a 6-24X50 AO scope on it with bipod, again for next to nothing compared to what it was actually worth. I also always wanted a Ruger #1S and I was able to buy one, even found it on sale. I love my 45/70s. Because I wanted an H&R 1871 "Buffalo Classic" with a vintage scope, you know one of those 3 foot long brass things. I found the Buffalo Classic and within a couple of years a very good friend gave me a 32" long, 3/4" diameter brass 4 power scope with mounts no less. As Bestlever always says, "Life is good!"
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

Colt Diamondback in .22 cal and a clunky old >455 Webley I sold for 25 bucks.It weighed a ton,shot like a constipated owl with a crooked shotgun but it was INTERESTING.Lol.bj
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

3 inch nickel Colt Python
Model 757 6 inch Freedom Arms Premier .475 Linebaugh
:cry: :cry: :cry: ????????????????
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Two in particular that I sold and wish I'd never let go! Both probably irresplaceable at today's costs.
First was a Winchester 1885 Hi Wall built near the end of production, and fitted with a #4 weight 30" barrel, chambered in .22 LR! Factory mounted scope bases, and no sight dovetails. Sold it to a friend, and he later sold it to another mutual friend. I get to see it once in awhile, but that only makes things worse!
Second was a Ballard #2 Hunter, chambered in .32-20 caliber. Pretty decent gun, but the caliber is probably the rarest of all calibers in a Ballard. At the time I didn't realise what I had, and let it go. Now I'll probably never, ever find another in this rare caliber.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Lots of guns have come and gone over the years and many were were fine items. The only two I miss are a 1940 vintage Colt New Service 4.5" bbl. in 45 Colt and a Remington 30S in 25 Remington.
Brant
Levergunner

Post by Brant »

Colt Diamondback .22 (hurts the most)
Winchester 356 Big Bore (hurts enough to want another)

Too many others would make you shake your head.

Brant
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2fewdaysafield
Levergunner

Post by 2fewdaysafield »

In '74 I bought my very first "own" deer rifle. Winchester '94 30-30. $99.95 OTD. Shot a bunch of deer with it. Got older and dumber and got all hyped up on boltguns, scopes and long range. Gave the 30-30 to my step brother. He shot his first deer with it. As did his brother. Now he lives in MT and is all full of boltguns, scopes and long range. The 30-30 has sat in his safe untouched for years. Should have loaned him the 30-30 and when he decided he really liked hunting, bought him an inexpensive boltgun.

I miss that old gun.