What is best, so many different 30-30 loads !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

What is best, so many different 30-30 loads !

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Federal, Winchester, Remington, PMC and many others all advertise different 150 gr or 170 gr loads for different game and they all claim to have the best expanding bullets but they also claim that there plain old 170 gr. FNSP or RNSP will drop anything with the right load for the game you want to hunt. If that's true then why have all this "Special" ammo and advertise it as the best? They all do it! It's like saying here, drink this bottom shelf 100 proof whiskey it will get you drunk quickly. Maybe you would rather have the same stuff on the top shelf, it has a different cork but it's the same stuff. :? :lol:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Mine shoots the promotional ammo for Federal Winchester and Remington all equally well. Never tried anything else.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

All of the major makers are loading good ammo these days. Competition is fierce and bullets and components are better than ever.
I try several different brands and shoot the one that is most accurate if using factory ammo. :wink:
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Yep, My Winchester 94 Trapper shoots most brands about the same too but what I was getting at is why does each company have so many different components for the 170 gr. bullet. Then they advertise that there supper dupper 170 gr. deluxe special bullet is the one you need and they charge a small fortune for a box of 20. Then you can buy a box of there plain old 170 gr. FNSP or SPRN and for $9.00 and they will tell you that it is the one that has taken game for many years and that it's the best you can buy,Lol.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I bought ammo for my .30-30s I'd get whatever 170 gr. load was out there on sale. All work well although some might be more accurate in a given gun. As it is I load 170s and use whatever bullet is available least expensively over 30 gr. IMR 3031. I have fired groups with mixed brass and bullets into less than 2.5" at 100 yards.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've only bought Green Box 170s.....they were the first ones I tried and they shoot into an inch, usually less, at 50 yards. If I were to use it for elk, I'd get a premium bullet like Nosler for penetration.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Best I have found are Leverevolution, Federal 170s and Winchester Powerpoint 170s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

I have had great accuracy and performance from PMC Starfire HP's- sadly they don't make them any longer :cry: If anyone has any for sale let me know!!
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Call me "old fashioned" but my Winchester 94 loves Remington Core-Lokt 170 gr. I think if the shooter does his part, the 170 gr. will get the job done.

Rob
NRA
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Some rifles will shoot particularly well with one brand of ammunition but I have found that for me anyway, Winchester Super X 170gr Power Points shoot good in all of my lever guns so that is what I use. As the guys above said, most all brands of ammo today are of good quality and shoot reasonably well in all guns.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hype.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Griff wrote:Hype.
:lol: Griff, I agree! :wink:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if your 30wcf. shoots the rem 170grn. corlocks accurately, consider yourself well armed for anything in north america.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I haven't bought much 30/30 ammo in years now but when I did the win silver tip 150 gr bullets did really well for me.
seems I shoot more cast 170 gr lfn gc's than anything else now :D .
pete
DAV life member.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I shoot the Lee 150 grain fp with a Hornady gas check cast from oven hardened wheel weight alloy. Lube is molly bearing greese and beeswax,
powder is 36.5 grains of H4350, mixed brass. Very accurate in all 3 of my rifles.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

One of the reasons I asked this question is because it can be a confusing thing to figure when the same manufacture has several different loads or bullets in the same weight and claims all of them are great for Deer or Bear or whatever . That goes for there 170 gr. high dollar deluxe bullets to there bottom shelf standard 170 gr. bullets :lol:
Shot a #350 Black Bear a couple of years ago with a 170 gr. 30-30 PMC FNSP and that Bear made about 3 leaps and piled up right in front of me with blood everywhere. That one shot destroyed his lungs and heart as if a hand grenade had gone off inside that Bear. I find it hard to believe that a super duper $30.00 a box of 20, 170 gr. 30-30 shells would have had any better results. Mike :D
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

bullet placement is everything.like said above alot of it is just hype. :roll:

its like the hornady new 30/30 ammo.they claim with the new ammo it makes the 30/30 a 200 yard rifle :roll: .well maybe in the hands of a skilled hunter that is one with his rifle.the truth is I am sure it isn't a 200 yard killing machine for bubba.
how many times have you gone out to the range prior to deer season and seen bubba shooting 8 inch groups with his 30/30 and claim it is zeroed for bambi.now hornady just made him a 200 yard shot...its all bs and hornady should be called on the carpet for this one.
rant off :D
pete
DAV life member.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

125 gr Sierra for self-defense, varmits and deer and Nosler 170 gr Partition for anything larger.

Don McCullough
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Pete, I hear you and you make a good point. Another thing I hate about all the bullet hype is that they want the average guy to believe that he can now make 200 yard shots with there new and improved ammo, even though he is using open sights and that he's still hunting in a place where he's lucky to get a 50 yard shot in the thick bush of his own back 40. The new and improved ammo is something he doesn't need because the old ammo has served him very well in the past. He will still run out and spend 3 times as much for new and improved :) I know because I have done it just because I had to try it! :lol: Mike
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

txpete wrote:bullet placement is everything.like said above alot of it is just hype. :roll:

its like the hornady new 30/30 ammo.they claim with the new ammo it makes the 30/30 a 200 yard rifle :roll: .well maybe in the hands of a skilled hunter that is one with his rifle.the truth is I am sure it isn't a 200 yard killing machine for bubba.
how many times have you gone out to the range prior to deer season and seen bubba shooting 8 inch groups with his 30/30 and claim it is zeroed for bambi.now hornady just made him a 200 yard shot...its all bs and hornady should be called on the carpet for this one.
rant off :D
pete
That is rarely a "bubba" type. It's generally some numbnuts from town. Bubbas generally have their own range. Hope this didn't cause your tactical drawers to bunch up.