How do you handle "The Question"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: How do you handle "The Question"

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but we've all been talking, for the most part, about the question coming from family, friends, neighbors, acquaintences, etc. - all civilians.
So, how are you going to answer when Obama's Brown Shirts come knocking on your front door? :evil:
I won't have the opportunity...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Ysabel Kid wrote:So, how are you going to answer when Obama's Brown Shirts come knocking on your front door? :evil:
I guess the first response then would be, "Got a warrant?"
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:So, how are you going to answer when Obama's Brown Shirts come knocking on your front door? :evil:
I guess the first response then would be, "Got a warrant?"

There you go! Of course under the Patriot's Act they will just smile and say terrorism and barrage in anyway. They should have named it the Nazi Act because it has nothing in it for a patriot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My buddies all know how many I got, just like I know what they have.
To people I don't like I tell them "Nunya". They ask, "How many is nunya?". I tell them, "Nunya &&%#(@ business.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Only person who knows the exact count is Y2K - not even the Mrs. (especially not the Mrs. :wink: ) knows!!! :shock:
I hear that. My wife and I have an agreement, she doesn't look in my gun safe and I don't look in her clothes closet! :shock:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I really don't know.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
slabsides
Levergunner

Post by slabsides »

The other day I had to go to the town office to pick up my pistol permit renewal. Young fella standing there at the counter heard me ask the clerk for the permit. He says 'What kinda gun you carry?' I was kind of non-plussed. Never had a stranger ask me a question like that. I just stared at him for a second or two, and said 'Why?' I guess I kinda growled it. He flushed and said 'Just curious' in an apologetic tone. I think he got the message. I signed the papers for my permit, and left without any further words with him. But the clerks behind the counter were definitely cool to me: an old codger who wouldn't talk nice-nice with the apple-cheeked youngster. Seems like kids nowadays haven't been taught any manners at all.
The Wise said: "This cannot be done." The Fool came, and did it.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

slabsides wrote:The other day I had to go to the town office to pick up my pistol permit renewal. Young fella standing there at the counter heard me ask the clerk for the permit. He says 'What kinda gun you carry?' I was kind of non-plussed. Never had a stranger ask me a question like that. I just stared at him for a second or two, and said 'Why?' I guess I kinda growled it. He flushed and said 'Just curious' in an apologetic tone. I think he got the message. I signed the papers for my permit, and left without any further words with him. But the clerks behind the counter were definitely cool to me: an old codger who wouldn't talk nice-nice with the apple-cheeked youngster. Seems like kids nowadays haven't been taught any manners at all.

He could have asked to help him decide what he should carry for himself. Everyone that asks is not "from the government" or "a liberal gun grabber". Why act like it such a big deal? I usually Open Carry anymore and if someone asks, regardless of who it is I talk the time to be pleasant and answer their questions. It isn't like they want to know the details of your sex life for crying out loud. Image
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I think of asking someone how many guns they have------as asking a most personal and private question. Some things are no one elses business. Makes a man wonder why that number would be important for someone to know?
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

You guys make it sound like you are ashamed that you own guns and don't want anyone to know because you will be stoned to death. :roll:
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

As to the question of how many firearms i have the answer to anyone would have to be I don't know, not even sure if I have any as i haven't checked lately but if you want to stop by unannounced and late at night I bet we could both find out real quick like. I am old and slow but the wife now she doesn't like to be woke up and has a really nasty response to folks who do wake her up when she is trying to get her beauty sleep.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

"Now why in the world would you want to know something as personal as that", or, "What do you and your spouse do when you are having sex?"
familyman357
Levergunner

Post by familyman357 »

I've gotta go with Bear 45/70 on this one: not everyone who asks has an agenda. Some are just curious (but unaware that it can be a sensitive topic) or use the question as an opener to ask advice. You can usually tell who is trying to make a point.

My standard answer has been (said with a smile) "More than I need but not as many as I want."
Their reaction dictates how the conversation goes from there.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

BAGTIC wrote:"Now why in the world would you want to know something as personal as that", or, "What do you and your spouse do when you are having sex?"

Your logic with this comparison totally escapes me. I though firearms were Constitutionally protected and were an aceptable subject for public discussion. You guys must really be ashamed to own firearms to want to hide that fact so much. Image
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JUST SAY ENOUGH FOR MY NEEDS!!!
if they continue tell them look I have a few ok,
lets leave it at that!!!!!!!

If that dont do it ditz them and ignore them. :roll:
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Tell Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, Charles Schumer, Hillary Clinton, and Sarah Brady that firearms are Constitutionally protected. Do they care?
Last edited by JustaJeepGuy on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE A NRA MEMBER PERIOD !!!
MY "WHOLE" FAMILY IS,AND ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY>

DO NOT PUT IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bear 45/70 wrote:
BAGTIC wrote:"Now why in the world would you want to know something as personal as that", or, "What do you and your spouse do when you are having sex?"

Your logic with this comparison totally escapes me. I though firearms were Constitutionally protected and were an aceptable subject for public discussion. You guys must really be ashamed to own firearms to want to hide that fact so much. Image
I would find a question about how much money is in the house to be in the same vein. WHY do they want to know? Well, IF I know them, I tell them, maybe, and if I don't I wonder why they'd ask.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Just enough for now.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another good answer...

"Not enough. You selling?" :wink: