Lever advice needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
laocmo
Levergunner

Lever advice needed

Post by laocmo »

I purchased a NIB unfired .45 Colt EMF Hartford case colored carbine a few years back for a song, the kind without the silly safety. I decided to shoot the thing lately but found the ammo very hard to find and incredibly expensive. Wish I had the same gun in 357/38 cal. I don't reload. Now I can't find one, or its equivalent, except with those safety's. Closest I can come is a Cimarron that sells new for almost 4 times what I paid for mine. Question 1, is the Cimarron something special that it costs so much? Question 2, is there any reason to prefer the .45 Colt over the calibers I'm considering, assuming I can find it at a reasonable price? What I need it for is a general around the farm rifle, offing an occasional tin can or coyote. Last year I had four of those things attack my tires trying to get to a rabbit caught up in my baler. Thanks
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever advice needed

Post by kimwcook »

Right now prices on most all classifications and models of firearms are up. Don't see them coming down any time real soon. You can find what you're looking for, but you'll have to scour around and be patient. For what you're looking to do with it a 357 caliber is a very appropriate choice. Accurate, factory ammo is cheaper and will be available for many years to come. I'd look to trade someone. Ammo is slowly starting to come back to the shelves. It's going to be a bit higher until the frenzy subsides, just fact. To bad you don't reload. You might look into that. It isn't hard and for very nominal fee you can get set up. Components right now are also hard, if not non-existent in some areas though. Good luck in your endeavor.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I had a 45 and now have a 357. I agree with your observations. You may be able to trade that - many want the presafety models.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If it was me,I would order a box of 45 colt ammo (100rds)
from Cabelas for $40
Then I would but a new Savage MarkII-F (17Mach2 caliber)
for around $160-$175 actual cost
10 50rd boxs of ammo 500rds=$40 (2100fps)@cheaper than dirt.com

keep the gun you have now and use it once and while with the
100rds.
For another $210 you have a new 10shot semi (And) 500rds ammo
That 17 mach2 will waste a coyote out to 150yds quick,and is awesome for target shooting.CHECK THE SPECS BELOW!!
You just cannot beat that 17 MKII stuff (500 per $40)
I say this because with all the gun ban stuff that might come
down I would get it now and some Multiple boxes of that ammo.
Total cost for everything $250

Model MARK II-F -- now with AccuTrigger
Caliber---17 HM2 Overall Length 39.5"
Barrel Length 20.75" Weight 5 lbs
Magazine Capacity 10 rounds
Stock Black synthetic with positive checkering
Sights Adjustable notched rear sight, bead post front sight
Rifling Rate of Twist 1 in 16" (.22 LR), 1 in 9" (17HM2)
Features
New AccuTrigger, blued bolt action, swivel studs, button-rifled barrel with detachable magazine.
Suggested Retail
$256.00 (17HM2)
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I know you said that you don't reload but you need to start. Forget the fact that the ammo you make will smoke the quality of factory stuff, it enables us non-wealthy people to be able to shoot for a reasonable amount of money. IMO, if you shoot more than 100-150 rounds of ANY centerfire ammo a year you have ZERO reason not too. If you shoot less than that, expensive ammo won't hurt too bad.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Reload.

Within the past two months I've set myself up to reload the three calibers that comprise my firearms collection. .30-30... .38/.357... 44Spl/44Mag. I've also invested in the tools for casting my own stuff.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I was at first thinking of you reloading,if that is somthing
you might want to do,but even with that its getting sort of pricey.
You know for 500rds you will probably be spending
$10--powder $10---primers $80---bullets $120---cases

Though the cases can be reused once shot,and you might get used
cases.
Plus the cost of reloading equipment,but that is a good investment.

I myself load, but over the last few years I have switched and shoot
most of the varmints(have problems with woodchucks) with my wifes 17 mach2. Last year I bought 1000rds on sale special for around $72
I thought for the varmet critters screw the reloading for now.It destoys those woodchucks out to 150yds.

It is all a matter of preference. see ya!!!!!