OT-New truck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

OT-New truck

Post by dennie »

Anyone here besides me thinking of buying a new pick-em-up? I have been driving a '99 Tacoma for nearly 10 years and want to get a new truck, something that at least sounds more American. The Tacoma has been nearly trouble free in 137k miles but I am wanting a full size with more comfort and more towing ability. I have driven the new Chevy Z71 and a couple Ford FX4s. I like both, but am leaning toward the Ford at present. Both the Chevy and Ford that I drove have similar options. The Ford costs about 3-4 grand more. With GM real shaky at the moment I am a little spooked at buying a GM.
I know this has been beat to death, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to spend around 35 grand? :shock: Toyota and Dodge are not being considered.
Thanx.
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-New truck

Post by Rusty »

I've got a 2000 Dodge Dakota that my wife thinks I should start thinking about getting rid of. I'm looking towards a Ford myself. They didn't take any of the bailout money and to be honest about it this Dodge hasn't been trouble free. I've had to put front brake calipers on it twice and two water pumps in 180K. I have put about 450 K on a couple of different Nissan trucks that were pretty much trouble free, but I want something a little bigger now.
I'm not ruling out a Toyota but if I go that route it will be the big one they make.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Okay Dennie - you asked for opinions, so you'll get mine. :twisted:

Let me say up front that I believe strongly in buying American where I can.
I think Chrysler and GM are in such a mess largely because they pay their
workers way too much to build garbage. I currently have a 2004 GMC 2500HD
4WD, and it's junk. The brake rotors and both bumpers were replaced under
warranty at 21K (Yes, only 21K!) Rust is already coming through the paint, and
the undercart is rotting away. Yes, I know - I live in Maine and have to expect
some corrosion, no? But my wife's 2004 Honda is not this bad, and the '93 Caprice
I have is not as rusted as this truck! I'm not impressed. I traded a '99 Dodge 1/2
ton for this one. The tranny was going on that, the paint was peeling off of the
horizontal surfaces, the radiator had given up the ghost at about 35K, and the final
straw was oil in the anti-freeze. I had about 45K on that when I traded it. I know, I
know - 1999 was 10 years ago, and we're told quality is always improving, but I
spent a lot of money on that truck and I'm still a little bit bitter. (Can ya tell?!)

So, there ya have it. I'm down to Ford! I'd give them a try. I really need a truck
that will haul a ton in the bed with no trouble, and the little trucks won't do it.
I need a full-sized rig. Good luck - after spending all of that money, I hope ya get
a good one. :)

-Stretch
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Don't drive a new ford or chevy truck. Find someone who has 50 or 60 thou miles on one of those trucks and ask them what they think.
You will have more chance of taking a pee in the queens handbag, than getting more than 30,00 trouble free miles on an american truck.
If you want to spend around 35 grand on a Ford or chevy truck, offer the dealer 10 grand for a new vehicle. You will need the other 25 grand for repairs and parts, which should get you to 135000 miles.
If you want american, buy a dodge.
Buy another Toyota.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I got rid of my '99 Dodge a few months ago and bought a new (to me) Ford. It had 18,000 miles on it, but I saved about $12K off new price. I'll never buy a brand new vehicle again. You loose your butt as soon as you drive a new one off the lot.
NRA Life Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have owned Fords and had Dodge Company trucks, but the Chevy Silverado has BY FAR given me the best value for the dollar. I have a 2002 Z-71 that cost me right around 20K, fully loaded. It now has 80K miles and has not even been tuned up. Same plugs and all. I did add a Cyclone to the intake and a KLM filter setup. 18-20 MPG HWY, 14 around town. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

35k.
Cash?

Buy a 1972 Chevy C20 or C30 or k4X4 and restore it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My Tacoma was bought new in June 2007. I have 81K miles on it and I have had not one problem with it. If I were to buy a larger truck, I would not worry about buying American and I would buy a larger Toyota. They are the best use of your hard earned dollars if you are going to buy new. I don't plan on getting rid of this truck till at least 500K miles have gone. My last vehicle gave way at 300K.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I gave my old '88 Jeep Comanche 4X4 to charity. It had 360,000 miles and the engine was never touched. One clutch and trans, a water pump, 2 brake jobs and 4 sets Big O tires. The Volunteers Of America sold it and gave me a receipt for $1500. tax deduction. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not all that concerned with the buy American scheme any more either when it comes to vehicles. I was at the point a few years ago when I had a Ford Crown Vic made in Canada and a Nissan P/U made in Tenn. which one is American? I never could figure it out.
When most of the parts from anything you buy come from out of the country any way which way you go really doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned.

dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I purchased in 1999 a new Ford F-150. I have put over 185k miles on it. The only major repair was replacing the A/C, cost $1000. The drivetrain is still strong. I am hoping to get another 10 years out of it. I would not hesitate to purchase another Ford. My only complaint would be the gas mileage is considerably less than was advertised by the dealer, but maybe that is just me and my heavy feet.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

flatnose wrote:Don't drive a new ford or chevy truck. Find someone who has 50 or 60 thou miles on one of those trucks and ask them what they think.
You will have more chance of taking a pee in the queens handbag, than getting more than 30,00 trouble free miles on an american truck.
If you want to spend around 35 grand on a Ford or chevy truck, offer the dealer 10 grand for a new vehicle. You will need the other 25 grand for repairs and parts, which should get you to 135000 miles.
If you want american, buy a dodge.
Buy another Toyota.

Thats an insane statement. My '97 F150 went 240k heavilly abused miles. My '06 f 150 that replaced it has 140k --- absolutely no troubles other than replacing the plugs at 100k -- its a great truck. (PS - replacing the plugs is a bear, plan on it being a $400 job -- but i'll take $400 in maintenance for the first 100k any day) downside is i think the fuel mileage could be better, - the 5.4 engine gets 16 mpg on a good day, although i have read that the latest versions have better electronic spark management and are approaching 20 (I drive the speed limit-- if i drove faster, i would expect less mileage, as some of my other Ford driving buddies have reported)

2nd truck is an '08 Chevy 2500 HD crewcab with 57k that i use to haul my fifth wheel. I have the 6.0 gas engine. Has a 6 speed auto tranny that gets 17 mpg unloaded and echoes the Ford in its maintenance requirements (nothing -- zip zilch- other than routine oil and filter changes)

I am a catastrophe insurance adjuster and the trucks contribute significantly to my livelihood -- i absolutely cannot afford a problem vehicle, and for me Ford has been delivering for 10 years -- and GM for 1.5 years

I do hear the newest Tundra is a nice truck if you need a "little truck" though (all 1/2 tons fit my definition of little trucks)

-----
----- Doug
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Not sure if your looking for opinions, but if I were you I would go for the Ford. I just got rid of a 2000 Chevy Z71. The transmission seemed like it was slipping in OD and the right rear door on it was rusting out. The last time I seen it, the hole had grown to the size of my fist. WHen I sold it about a year ago it was only a small pin hole with a few bubble spots on the paint.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Fords for the last 30 years, still have my 1967.
Seen Dodges & Chevy's come & go.
Owners usually get rid of them after one of my Ford's pulls them out.
I did however just buy a 1977 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton from GSA auctions,
4 brand new 6 ply 16.5 tires and a brand new spare in the rack, all matching, never been dinged, doors open and close like a new truck, they NEVER put ANYTHING in the bed. Price $607.00 US dollars!
After all the taxes I have paid in my life, it is good to get something back from the Government.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I had a big problem with GM back in 1995 with a 92 Chevy van. After the way GM jacked me around on their extended warranty I've sworn to never buy another GM anything.

If I needed a full size truck I'd consider a Ford. I like the no bailout thing. I don't need a full size though.

I buy Toyota cars and trucks.

Don't get me started on the Buy American thing. The Big 3 all build in Mexico and Canada. I didn't see them (not Ford) asking the Mexicans or Canadians for a helping hand. My Avalon was built in Kentucky and my Tacoma in Calif. I've toured both plants and they sure looked American to me.

Try the Ford.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Run an ad offering to buy out someone's loan on a truck with less than 5K miles; you'll save a bundle on taxes and depreciation.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

dr walker wrote: My only complaint would be the gas mileage is considerably less than was advertised by the dealer, but maybe that is just me and my heavy feet.
That's true of any car or truck. The EPA is doing something to get the window stickers to show fuel economy closer to the real world. To get a very accurate estimate of what to expect, check out this website.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

I work in the service dept of a new car dealer and often have customers bring their new cars in thinking something must be wrong with them because their milage doesn't match what they were told when buying. Most of the time they just need to be educated. Their salesmen will quote the window sticker, which is what the vehicle could do under ideal conditions. Then they get out in the real world and see considerably fewer miles per gallon. After showing them this website, most are understanding and are just peeved at their salesman. :D
Last edited by TedH on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
NRA Life Member
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Wow, what a variety of answers! Seems like Ford is getting more pluses than the others. The main drawback on the Ford is the gas mileage. The 5.4 is only rated 14/19, but I am hearing from local owners that they get 9-12 mpg around town. Ouch!
My son bought a new Dodge "Hemi" in '04. Nice looking truck, but 9-12 mpg and about 10 trips back to the dealer, sometimes on a tow truck, tells me I don't need that. He has put 2 sets of brakes on it, including rotors, in 53k miles. :shock: He has had engine controls, new dash gauges, front end parts, etc., replaced. So, no Dodges for me.
I too have a hard time trying to figure out what is an American truck. My Tacoma was built in California, my Chevy before that was built in Canada. Only a couple of minor problems with both.
This is a petty item for sure, but, me being vertically challenged at 5'6"" tall, I really dig those new steps that Ford has on the side of the bed and the tailgate! I can actually reach into the bed of the truck instead of just peeking over the side! :lol: Why do they make these half tons so flippin' huge?
I drove the new Tundra a while back and was pretty impressed, but am hearing that the reliability in the 4 wheel drive models is not up to snuff.
Oh well, not sure what to do yet. Thanx for all the replies. Still pondering.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I haul 10 drums of lube oil routinely in my business, about 4500 pounds net, I bought it new in 94, an F-350, single rear wheels and a 7.3 diesel. It has 247,000 on it now, and has needed a water-pump, recently the clutch and a few other little things, but the engine has not been touched. It works every day. But I replaced it with a Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins, quad cab dual wheel, and I could not be more pleased in 5 months of use so far. The feel of this Ram, in every way you notice, does not make me want to ever go back to a gas Ford or Chevy.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Its kind of a stuff shoot when you buy a new vehicle. My daily driver is my '04 Tundra with 57K. Had to put new tires on at 16K (factory tires are usually subpar) and my business truck is a 07 Chevy K2500 Duramax. It has been back for three recalls, two minor that took 5 min. to do, and a reprogram on the computer that took about 30 min. Had a rear seat recovered on the Tundra as a seam split, but only oil changes and tranny service so far. If I had to buy another truck right now, I would be like you, not knowing what to buy, but would think about a Dodge Diesel or another Duramax. Owned one Ford, and that ownership taught me to not buy another one. Might even look at a Nissan.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I drive an 89 Nissan Patrol Japanese import with a 4.2 litre diesel and auto trans. With fuel consumption of about 2.6 gallons per 60 miles I cant complain about running costs. Its got about 100 000 miles on it now and I guess I'll probably get another 10 years out of it. It may not be new and it may not be fancy but it gets the job done.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Thunder 50, it is very hard to compare diesel trucks with gas trucks, sorta different animals. The Cummins diesel in the Dodge seems great, but the rest of the truck falls apart around it. I do not know why you had to replace the tires so early. My Tacoma got 65k on the original Firestones and I now have 71k on the Bridgestone Dueller Revos that are on it now, and they are not worn down to the indicators yet. I do agree tho, some original equipment tires are junk. Thanx for the post.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

As a matter of principle, the only purely American automaker I would buy from is Ford. Simply because they have been the most reluctant to receive bailout funds to account for poor management.

Also, as a matter of principle, I would only consider buying the highest quality truck made in America. That truck is Toyota. If we continue to purchase poor quality in the name of "buying American", then we do our country a disservice rather than a favor. Mediocrity should never be rewarded, even when it comes to buying American.

Since I began driving, I've put over 600,000 miles on Toyotas. All totaled, I've had to replace 2 alternators (and a few too many clutches, because I have a tendency to ride the clutch!). THAT'S IT!! The difference in quality between Toyota and the major American automakers is simply insane!

I know that somebody will wave their flag and try to consider me "anti-American". For those, please re-read the first two paragraphs above. Regardless, I don't spend my hard earned money to support lazy workmanship any more than I would willfully spend it on welfare. Nobody is "entitled" to my hard earned money for ANY reason.

Rant off.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

As a large fella (6'9" and 215 lbs) the only, and I mean only choice for me is Chrysler products. Everyone else puts so much stuff under their dashes that they swing the dash low, and the seats don't go back far enough. The result is my knees on the dash no matter what I do. Personally as far as trucks go, you are better off buying a 1967-1971 Chevy pickup and having it totally restored with everything you want on it. Figure it up...

Decent 4WD 1970 PU...$8000
New Paint, rocker panels and quarter patches...$5000
New Chevy 350 crate engine w/warranty....$2500
Disk Brake kit......$1500
another $3K for incidentals like new gauges, exhaust, tires, cruise, satellite radio, and you are into a really nice truck that YOU CAN REBUILD OVER and OVER again for about $20K. The new trucks you have to take to the dealer to work on, and all the electronics are always crapping out. Not only that, but you are likely able to claim antique for your tags and insurance on those early years which makes everything cheaper.

I've had my '70 Chevy 4WD now for so long that it's hard for me to think about being without it. It's on it's third engine since I've owned it, and the neat thing is that this engine I decided to go supercharged. And it's always comfortable.

Ed
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Kansas Ed wrote: you are into a really nice truck that YOU CAN REBUILD OVER and OVER again for about $20K. Ed

Ed, i appreciate what your saying , and here's a pic below of one of my favorite run abouts to prove it - :lol: But the 20k part is the thing thats a bit hard to swallow for a lot of folks who need a vehicle "right here and now" -- hard to finance a rebuild of a vintage vehicle, and only a few have that kind of cash on-hand. Also, when you build one -- it turns into a unique and beautiful flower that you would cringe to subject it to parking lot gremlins --- anything happens to a newer truck -- just pay your 1000$ deductible and rock on

----- Doug
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Streetstar...nice ride. And Geeze...you can deal with issues yourself without paying someone else $75 an hour to look at it.

This was mine several years back...it's still in the same shape, but I changed the wheels on it, and its on the blown motor now, and it's got a Rhino Lined bed on it.

Ed
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

yeah, Dodge around here is known as a great engine surrounded by 4000lbs of rust!!. Sister bought a leftover '08 Cummins and loves it so far. She still has her old '95 Cummins. It loves tires and new brakes, but good otherwise.
I changed the tires on my Tundra (lots of tread left) as they were squirming alot, poor cornering, and would squeal on every corner and stops and starts. Went with Michelin tires and have been real pleased with the performance. Made the truck act like a different beast.

If it was a gas truck (had a chevy 6.0), I would probably go with the Toyota, Nissan (friend of the wife has one and loves it) or another 6.0 Chevy or GMC. Seems like many here like their Fords, but my only experience has been less than rewarding, so probably wouldn't buy one, even though I like their stock!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

Excuse my ignorance, Are you think petrol or diesel? Do you get many diesel options over there? If fuel consumption is an issue, surely a diesel would be high up on the list.

It seems we have a lot more diesel options over here compared to the US, but if I was looking at a large vehicle, I'd be looking for a diesel.

W
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

waz wrote:Excuse my ignorance, Are you think petrol or diesel? Do you get many diesel options over there? If fuel consumption is an issue, surely a diesel would be high up on the list.

It seems we have a lot more diesel options over here compared to the US, but if I was looking at a large vehicle, I'd be looking for a diesel.

W
There are not nearly as many diesel options in the states --- larger trucks (2500 series and over) and up mainly, plus VW has an SUV. Small trucks (1/2 ton on down) have not received the diesel treatment yet. It was rumored that Ford and GM were both working on small diesels for the 1/2 tons, but the program was put on hold. GM's financial crisis plus the current more favorable gasoline prices mean the cost/benefit ratio is not there yet for a smaller vehicle. Diesels advantage of better fuel savings in a small vehicle is moot when gasoline is $2.00 a gallon and the diesel cost at least 5000 dollars more. As far as towing - with a 1/2 ton, the chassis limitations far outweigh the towing limitations of a current gas engine as well.
----- Doug
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Kansas Ed wrote:As a large fella (6'9" and 215 lbs) the only, and I mean only choice for me is Chrysler products. Everyone else puts so much stuff under their dashes that they swing the dash low, and the seats don't go back far enough. The result is my knees on the dash no matter what I do. Personally as far as trucks go, you are better off buying a 1967-1971 Chevy pickup and having it totally restored with everything you want on it. Figure it up...

Decent 4WD 1970 PU...$8000
New Paint, rocker panels and quarter patches...$5000
New Chevy 350 crate engine w/warranty....$2500
Disk Brake kit......$1500
another $3K for incidentals like new gauges, exhaust, tires, cruise, satellite radio, and you are into a really nice truck that YOU CAN REBUILD OVER and OVER again for about $20K. The new trucks you have to take to the dealer to work on, and all the electronics are always crapping out. Not only that, but you are likely able to claim antique for your tags and insurance on those early years which makes everything cheaper.

I've had my '70 Chevy 4WD now for so long that it's hard for me to think about being without it. It's on it's third engine since I've owned it, and the neat thing is that this engine I decided to go supercharged. And it's always comfortable.

Ed
+1 on the "1967-1971 Chevy"!
My dad had a '69 short-bed step-side. A small block 250 with a single barrel "Mono-Jet" carburetor and "3-on-the-column". What a truck!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

The domestic auto market is based in the United States, with a lot of support from Canada. Much of the resources that go into the building of American vehicles comes from Canada (steel, nickel, etc.). A Toyota built in Tennesee is a Japanese vehicle because Toyota's head office is in downtown Tokyo. That's where the cash goes. The jobs that come with these foreign companies having assembly plants in America and Canada are a good thing, but these are still foreign owned companies.
I am not a fan of globalization, and I hate the glut of cheap Chinese merchandise in our stores. I grew up in the 1950's and I miss the quality of everything made back then.
I just bought a 2009 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab, after a long line of chevy trucks. I like it. I also support everyone's choice to drive what they choose. These are just my own thoughts.

Regards, Gerry
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Rusty wrote:I'm not all that concerned with the buy American scheme any more either when it comes to vehicles. I was at the point a few years ago when I had a Ford Crown Vic made in Canada and a Nissan P/U made in Tenn. which one is American? I never could figure it out.

+1.

To the OP:

By my personal definition, I drive an American car -- a 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon. I bought it used in 2006 with 13,700 miles on it. IMO, that's the only way to go -- buy used with low miles, or buy Certified used with low miles from a dealer. It is too costly to buy brand new, IMO.

My definition of "American car" is one that is assembled in the United States by American workers. My Subaru was assembled in Lafayette, IN by American workers. That makes it an American car.

Sure, some of the revenue made it back to Japan to Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. But Americans make their living at the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN, assembling Subarus and Toyota Camrys. Those Americans buy houses, raise kids, and support the local IN economy. Contrast that with a Ford Crown Vic built in Canada or a GM pickup built in Mexico. Would you rather support Steve, Bill, Jim, Marlene, and Donna in Indiana, or Juan, Felipe, Maria, and Jorge in a foreign country?

As for the OP's question, IIWM I would buy another Tacoma. Stick with a winner. They are assembled in California. I would NOT buy a Tundra, because they have significant issues with the current auto trans in that truck.

Sure, Dodge has a lifetime powertrain warranty and given the problems with the 5.7L V8 oil consumption and weak Dodge rear axles (tsk, tsk, Chrysler -- should have just bought the axles from Dana like you used to), you'll need that warranty. Even if Dodge has an awesome warranty, who has the time to be taking it back to the dealer for warranty repair, and have the specter of undependability in the back of you mind?

My wife and I had two Explorers which were both problematic. We traded the 95 on a 2001 Toyota Highlander made in Japan, one of only two "new" cars that we've ever bought in 31 yrs of marriage. We still have the Highlander at 96,000 trouble-free miles. We elected to buy that vehicle after being tired of spending days in the Ford dealer's service waiting room. We decided that if we were going to spend that kind of money, it was going to be on something dependable -- we kept "us" in mind -- what was the best for us? Support Ford or GM, or buy a vehicle that works for us with low cost of ownership and no hassles or problems? We have no regrets.

Go with what works for you. Your existing Tacoma has been a performer, so why not stick with a winner?

JMO,

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

My 2005 duramax 4x4 crewcab has treated my well. Today, with about 42,000 miles, it would sell locally for under half of what new fleet price was. I'd give serious attention to the used market. I've seen many that have never been used offroad or used to haul a load. For $17,000 to $20,000 a guy could find a nice duramax that is not even broken in yet. Good luck in your search

Dave B
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I love Dodge trucks but I've lost track of how much money I've spent on
transmission repairs.

Last year I traded my '01 Ford 150 on a new
Jeep for the Boss Lady and got her '04 Durango in
trade for my P/U.

Dumbest thing I've ever done. The Durango
is a nice truck, rides like a Caddy. Tows anything
I need but off road it's completely useless!
Even though the F-150 had 170K miles on it
it was still a great truck but was
starting to have some problems.

My Dad bought it as a company vehicle for one of the other guys
and then fired him after doing about
$6000. damage to it in less than 6 months.
Willin' to bet if that truck hadn't been so
abused for the first 13K miles I'd still have it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i would consider a ford with a 6cyl engine if it were me. and if you want a dodge you will need to drop it out of a tree to get 10mpg out of it. :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife has been on me to not get a truck this next time and think about an SUV. Now you tell me the Tacoma has problems and I'm going to have to get to the bottom of that. I have been giving those Toyota Cruisers a long look every time one passes me by.

I do have a work of advice for those complaining about poor gas mileage... just slow down. MY Dodge Dakota Quad cab had given me 20 MPG since I got it new. It has a V-6 and a 5 speed. I went to synthetic oil, fancy air filters and everything else I could think of and it stil gave me 20 MPG, but at least it's consistent. When regular was selling here for almost $5 a gallon I thought I'd do what our company has done to us and just slow down. I found out that if I keep it to no more than 50 MPH I gained 1& 3/4 MPG. A lot of it has to do with the time of day when I'm commuting and I know there's not much traffic then but it did make a difference. Try it, you'll like it.

JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

WoodrowC wrote:I grew up in the 1950's and I miss the quality of everything made back then.
I grew up in Ohio in the '50s, and I recall all the '50s cars (all makes and models) having their front fenders rusted out just above the headlights by the '60s. Quality?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

This thread is kinda like asking which kinda woman to get, or which ONE gun to buy. :lol: If I didn't need to room and the power, I'd want something like a Toyota half ton with a diesel engine. As it is, I want the biggest, loudest, fastest, strongest, easiest to work on truck with 50 mpg fuel economy.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Travis Morgan wrote:This thread is kinda like asking which kinda woman to get, or which ONE gun to buy. :lol: If I didn't need to room and the power, I'd want something like a Toyota half ton with a diesel engine. As it is, I want the biggest, loudest, fastest, strongest, easiest to work on truck with 50 mpg fuel economy.
+1,
And the woman to boot! :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Here is what I did.I have an older 4x4 GMC(I wont get rid of)
but instead of spending 25-30K on a new one,and whats going on with the future of gas pricing etc.

This time I bought a 2006 Ford escape SUV (21000 miles)for $8700
The thing has a extended warranty and looks brand new,
It has a 5 speed with the Mazda 2.3 engine (Gets around 24mpg in town and 30 mpg highway) really enough power with the stick.
Then I bought a new 5x8 3500gvw Mid-Atlantic trailor($1000)
This winter I put studs on the front and it goes about anywhere
I need to go.Its only the Front Wheel Drive Model.
For $9700 and 100,000 mile warranty how do you beat that!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Bogie35 wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:This thread is kinda like asking which kinda woman to get, or which ONE gun to buy. :lol: If I didn't need to room and the power, I'd want something like a Toyota half ton with a diesel engine. As it is, I want the biggest, loudest, fastest, strongest, easiest to work on truck with 50 mpg fuel economy.
+1,
And the woman to boot! :lol:
If I were to do it over again, I'd go with a lease deal on the woman. Another case of buying something way bigger than what I really wanted.
madman4570 wrote:Here is what I did.I have an older 4x4 GMC(I wont get rid of)
but instead of spending 25-30K on a new one,and whats going on with the future of gas pricing etc.

This time I bought a 2006 Ford escape SUV (21000 miles)for $8700
The thing has a extended warranty and looks brand new,
It has a 5 speed with the Mazda 2.3 engine (Gets around 24mpg in town and 30 mpg highway) really enough power with the stick.
Then I bought a new 5x8 3500gvw Mid-Atlantic trailor($1000)
This winter I put studs on the front and it goes about anywhere
I need to go.Its only the Front Wheel Drive Model.
For $9700 and 100,000 mile warranty how do you beat that!
With something that doesn't look like it was designed for Barbie.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Wow guys, I am staring to see where "used " might be something to look at. But, I drove a used F 150 the other day, an '06 model. It had an unusual odor inside and the GF found that the owners manual was moldy and wrinkled like it had been soaking wet at one time. I found some mud inside the cab and started to think this might be a "Katrina Special". It was a "Certified " used vehicle on a local Ford lot! :shock: Does make you wonder about "buying used".
I get real spooked (sticker shock) when I look at new trucks and think that a new truck can cost a years salary, or more than my 2nd house! :shock: :shock: ! I saw a new F450 Super Duty that MSRP was $60,060.00! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hope all these UAW workers are happy now. :twisted:
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I have a dear friend that is retired from the GM Moraine plant near Dayton, Ohio, which is closed down now BTW, who told me about a female employee that worked near him. This gal worked in a tool crib. The only thing she did was hand out air tools to the workers. She actually worked about 1-3 hours of an 8 hour day, six to seven days a week. She made $77,000! This was about 5 or 6 years ago! :shock: Then these union workers get big discounts on vehicles the rest of us cannot afford to buy!
Whoa, I am getting real carried away here, sorry. :evil: :evil:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Travis,
Something Designed for Barbie???
And your talking about a LITTLE half ton Toyota/diesel :lol: :lol:
Come on, I am just saying for most things the Ford Escapes
are good little vehicles.I have a K2500 4x4 that sucks gas like a pig.
Before that I had a 69 Ford f100 with 44" inch super swampers,
13"superlift supension/3 inch body lift.It had a balanced/blueprinted Hot 390 with a Borg Warner T10 top loader Tranny.
It looked great but was Worthless as a use vehicle.
I dont need that big man image at 3-4 bucks a gallom and at 13 or 14
MPG, I will let my GMC sit in the driveway most of the time and for
real driving I will stick to the 30MPG SUV.
Also being 6 foot 4" and 235Lbs that escape has more room than
the little toys I have been in. Anymore I think FORDS are the best.
Looking at a 2006 Ford 500AWD SEL 13,000 miles $10,900 for
the wife.right now she has a Nissan Maxima*its OK??
What toyota car matches that Ford 500 AWD for the cost??????
A FWD corolla :lol: :lol: Buy FORD Pal
See ya!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Most Business & Construction company owners buy Fords for their fleets.

The reason is reliability and low maintenance cost, & longivity.

When we had the Business and I drove a Ford F-250, we rebuilt the gas engine at 240,000 miles. The Transmission could have gone another 100,000 miles but was rebuilt at the same time.

Buy Gas only, we had too much trouble with the diesels.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

madman4570 wrote:Travis,
Something Designed for Barbie???
And your talking about a LITTLE half ton Toyota/diesel :lol: :lol:
Nope; the toy sized trucks are for brushy country where a fullsize is just too big for the road, unless you're following a D-8 Cat.
madman4570 wrote:Come on, I am just saying for most things the Ford Escapes
are good little vehicles.I have a K2500 4x4 that sucks gas like a pig.
Before that I had a 69 Ford f100 with 44" inch super swampers,
13"superlift supension/3 inch body lift.It had a balanced/blueprinted Hot 390 with a Borg Warner T10 top loader Tranny.
It looked great but was Worthless as a use vehicle.
I dont need that big man image at 3-4 bucks a gallom and at 13 or 14
MPG, I will let my GMC sit in the driveway most of the time and for
real driving I will stick to the 30MPG SUV.
Also being 6 foot 4" and 235Lbs that escape has more room than
the little toys I have been in. Anymore I think FORDS are the best.
Looking at a 2006 Ford 500AWD SEL 13,000 miles $10,900 for
the wife.right now she has a Nissan Maxima*its OK??
What toyota car matches that Ford 500 AWD for the cost??????
A FWD corolla :lol: :lol: Buy FORD Pal
See ya!
You shoulda bought a diesel; more power, better mileage, and any idiot can convert them to run on waste fryer oil. As for size, I'm in your ballpark. Single cab little trucks are far too small, but extended cabs or four doors are tolerable. That abortion of an off-road SUV Toyota is pimping seems roomy enough, at first, but then you have to look at things like the sissy handles inside, next to your head. They're hard as hell, and right next to your temple.

As for super swampers, I guess they'd be okay if I lived in a swamp, but otherwise, I see no reason for spending enough money on tires to buy another truck!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

dennie wrote:I have a dear friend that is retired from the GM Moraine plant near Dayton, Ohio...
I have a brother-in-law who retired from the same plant. The one thing you can say about most of the union workers is, they tended to spend their money. Therefore, other businesses also flourished because of the union workers. (Looking on the bright side...)
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Heck, I say buy whatever you like.Its your $$$
Really I am no authority on this, and I take back if
I cut down anyones mfg brand etc.They probably are
all pretty good.
Besides a 4x4 truck is nice to have when you really need it. Like I stated in my first blog "I wont get rid of my full size 4x4 GMC"
I bought it new 23 years ago and it starts every first time,uses no oil though I do have only 80,000 miles on it.
Good Luck whatever you choose !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have a 2003 F-350 4x4 turbo diesel with a 100,000 miles
on it and its just breaking in....I dont plan on buying a truck
any time soon....but if i were to choose one it would be the
F-150...I gave my daughter my 97 4x4 and its still running
strong...160,000 miles....... love that truck!
oil, tires, and breaks and ball joists is all i have done to it...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
dirtcowboy
Levergunner

Post by dirtcowboy »

Ford, Ford and nuthin but Ford. Never had a problem with any of my trucks. O'course it helped my wife got great pricing as a Ford employee. Right now in the yard is a '01 F-150, an '02 F-250 supercrew V-10, an 03 Explorer and an '08 Expedition. Can't forget my fav's though, 6 B II's, love those little trucks!