Last Stand at Saber River

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Last Stand at Saber River

Post by gamekeeper »

Just watched this movie on DVD, I know it's been mentioned here before but I was impressed by the authentic looking firearms, even a Hall's rifle was used :o I just wondered if Tom Selleck had anything to do with the choice of weapons?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Last Stand at Saber River

Post by TedH »

I've liked all of Tom Sellecks western movies, it's been a while since I've seen that one.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Gamekeeper, I can't answer your question, but it seems like most of the westerns Selleck is in the guns are very period correct and usally pretty cool. I think he'd tell someone he wouldn't use the piece if it didn't fit.
Old Law Dawg
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, it does seem that his movies are usually always period correct regarding the guns used, and he quite often throws in an obscure weapon of the time, that you don't see very often. I wish he made more movies.

He has also made a series of good detective movies in the last few years, "Stone Cold", "Sea Change", etc. Do a search on Netflex.
NRA Life Member, Patron
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great movie.....try Crossfire trail....another great movie by selleck....
Selleck.....I think he is the executive producer on both movies....
Watched it last night at hunt camp!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I did read some where that Selleck does actually have something to do with the firearms. IIRC in "Crossfire Trail" He uses a '76 Winchester Musket in .45-60. It seems I read where he found the rifle and had it rebuilt for the film, and after the film he added it to his personal collection.

If you really want a good evening watch Monte Walsh as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

My wife bought me a "western collection" of Tom Selleck movies last year for Fathers Day and added Quigley to it also. I have enjoyed watching Monte Walsh,Last Stand at Saber River and Crossfire Trail as well as Quigley several times during the past year. I think I may have to watch them all again very soon. I think that Crossfre Trail is probably my favorite then Quigley Down Under.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Goat wrote:My wife bought me a "western collection" of Tom Selleck movies last year for Fathers Day and added Quigley to it also. I have enjoyed watching Monte Walsh,Last Stand at Saber River and Crossfire Trail as well as Quigley several times during the past year. I think I may have to watch them all again very soon. I think that Crossfre Trail is probably my favorite then Quigley Down Under.
Goat

I think i may have the same collection ---- i am bored, --- was planning to watch "Braddock, Missing in Action 2"-- or 3 or something, but i may flip a coin and watch this one instead
----- Doug
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe the cartridge conversion Colts 1860 that was in Last Stand at Sabre River is Tom Sellecks personal gun also. I think it, and perhaps an early Colt SAA (7 1/2" with one piece walnut grips?) used in Monte Walsh were in an exibit at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center a couple years ago in the section of personally owned movie guns.

The Spencer used by Sellecks wife's character in Sabre River was cool, she had the proper tin ammunition carrier for spare Spencer quick loads, rattle and all.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, Selleck is quite knowledgeable about firearms, demands that period authentic pieces be used, tries to look for unusual pieces with interest, and often lends his own guns for the filming. One of the few remaining Hollywood types with an ounce of brains! :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Agree --- some of the Magnum episodes are hard to stomach, but heck -- Magnum was 20-25 years ago :lol: I have to say, i truly enjoy his portrayal of Jesse Stone in the Robert Parker TV and DVD series too.

A 34" Sharps is on my long list of "Toys i must have someday" as well , thanks to Quigley
----- Doug
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Post by BigMuddy »

I also read that he likes to get unusual guns for movies, then keep them

That "musket" 1876 is actually a carbine. The carbine 1876's had full length stocks.

That plain old 1886 in Monte Walsh was a 50-110 express.

I too wish he made more movies.
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

Friend of mine guided him on an elk hunt in the rockies some years ago. He said he is the real deal, great guy, good sport and can shoot. Also said he likes good whiskey but knows when to quit, just one of the boys.
leverlooney
Levergunner

Post by leverlooney »

I went to the NRA museum in VA this past spring. He donated a bunch of firearms from his movies to them. I like all his westerns-wish he made more.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Tom Selleck, Robert Duval, Sam Elliott, John Wayne - the Four Horsemen of the cowboy movies!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Isn't Duvall a die-hard liberal though?

Agreed - his western portrails are hard to beat!