PRICE CHECK - Winchester 94 38-55 chief crazy horse

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

PRICE CHECK - Winchester 94 38-55 chief crazy horse

Post by Little Doc »

friend has a win 94 cch in 38-55 and wants to sell it but does not know the value. he ask me. i ain't got a clue but thought someone here would know. before you ask here is what i was told. used gun 90-95% blue sone dings in stock with a small chip out of the toe of the stock. tang has been drilled for reciever sight.
any info would be helpful. thanks.
ld
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 38-55 chief crazy horse value

Post by buckeyeshooter »

This one is obviously not an unfired collector. Even if it was, this configuration was not a big seller. They were $599.00 new when first offered. In its current shape I would go $350 to $375.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I gave $600 for mine, new in the box in 2006. I put a Marble's tang sight on it and it shoots really good.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

SFRanger7GP wrote:I gave $600 for mine, new in the box in 2006. I put a Marble's tang sight on it and it shoots really good.
My dad gave the same amount for his unfired in 2006. Since, he has fired the stuff out of it. A used one would likely be a $400-$450 depending on location if it weren't buggered up.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

buckeyeshooter wrote:This one is obviously not an unfired collector. Even if it was, this configuration was not a big seller. They were $599.00 new when first offered. In its current shape I would go $350 to $375.
Pretty close to what it would sell for here.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Tycer wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:This one is obviously not an unfired collector. Even if it was, this configuration was not a big seller. They were $599.00 new when first offered. In its current shape I would go $350 to $375.
Pretty close to what it would sell for here.
DITTOS
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

When I bought mine the "Winchester going out of business" panic buying was going on. I saw people paying $500+ for Ranger model 94's. Based on that, the Crazy Horse 94 was a good deal. Very few of the Winchester commemoratives achieved their hoped for collector value. They normally can be found for a good price and most are better quality and have nicer than average wood. The same can be said for the Commemorative Colt's SAA's.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Back when those were being made, Winchester was making a sort-of "standard" octagon model that they called the Classic--in rifle, carbine, or a consecutive serial numbered pair that consisted of one of each. Their big focus though, was on "commemoratives" of which yours is one. There was a stretch of about 5 years or so that they "commemorated" just about everything they could think of. Some were kind of cute, some downright tacky! There were so many that very few ever achieved much collector status prior to Winchester going out of business. An up-side though--back then Winchester made their own barrels in New Haven, and did that very well. They had produced enough model 94 barrels over the years that they pretty much had how to do it down pat. People that shoot those commemoratives, as well as the Classics (of which I own a rifle) find that many of them shoot about as well as any levergun you're likely to find.

It's no surprise that SFRanger7gp says his shoots real good. Back when my eyes were younger, I once did a sub-half-inch group, 3 shots, off a benchrest, with my Classic model rifle. It was in a match at my local gunshop, in an iron sight competition, and I lost. My spotter said to me "You've just shot a group you could cover with a dime. Too bad it's 5 inches to the left". I just happened to get there to buy some Hoppe's one Saturday morning, with a half-box of handloads that were about 10 years old--they'd been stashed away with that rifle and I was going to shoot what was in the box in order to reload a full box. I was talked into trying it in the match. My sights were adjusted later, and I've shot that rifle quite a bit since then, and it always shoots tight groups. I don't think my 64 year old eyes could ever duplicate that one group again though. I'm convinced that a lot of folks that own some of those commemoratives would find that, if they shot them with a prepared handload, they could do just as well.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Re: PRICE CHECK - Winchester 94 38-55 chief crazy horse

Post by Travis Morgan »

Could you send me pics?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: PRICE CHECK - Winchester 94 38-55 chief crazy horse

Post by mescalero1 »

My uncle has one of the gold plated receiver ones, 26 " barrel .30-.30
Think I should shoot it, I do not believe it has ever been shot?