OT - Wal-mart goobers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Wal-mart goobers

Post by Andrew »

Not the peanuts, the people.

Went to my local wally-world in search of a couple ML tid-bits. I am short powder and bullet patches of being able to shoot my .50cal sitting against the dresser. Got there and went straight to the aisle I know the ML "stuff" is located.

Coolers? Huh, must have moved it aranging stuff around. Oh here it is, no, just the clearence shelf with some ML do-dads.

On to the counter where I ask for the ML supplies, "what's on the shelf is what's left". :shock: :shock: "Are you guys giving it up?". "Yep" was the reply I wasn't wanting to hear. :cry: He said it has been on clearence the last 3 weeks and what's left, is what's left.

The fact they canned the ML stuff is bad enough, but it happened at the same time I finally took the plunge into the sport. :evil: It's like they knew....
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Wally World is rapidly exiting the world of shooting sports. There's only one store I know of in my area that still sells firearms, much less a decent selection of goods. That's okay, I have a Sportsman's Warehouse fairly close.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
joakleigh
Levergunner

Post by joakleigh »

All the Wal Marts near me in PA are still actively selling hunting and shooting supplies and like most everything they sell at a better price. However i'd much rather give my money to a local gun dealer than a place like Wal Mart so i do my shopping at the little guy stores. Plus its much nicer speaking with someone knowledgable of the product rather than a 16 y/o city slicker who thinks Rapala is the name of the latest Hip Hop artist. Just my 2 cents.
Joshua

My 2 cents nothing more nothing less
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The two here in central IL have quit selling guns. They do still have ammo though. Their ML supplies leave a lot to be desired.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think it is area-specific. They stopped selling shooting stuff in the one nearest to me in Charlotte (NC). One one closest to me going the other direction - south into Rock Hill (SC) still has a very full line! I will be interested in what the new one they are building in between offers!
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Here it's a seasonal thing, since ML season is over here they have juust been selling out and puttting some stuff on clearence. Next year like laways they will stock back up.
AQHA Life Member
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Some of the more urban Walmarts here in Indiana have stopped selling guns but they all still sell hunting stuff, some more than others. My local Walmart is quick to move items off the shelves in preparation for the next season.
HEY, J. MILLER, I grew up in Paxton IL. if that means anything to you, I was just there over Christmas.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Store managers have a lot of control over what they stock compared to some chains. Sales obviously have an impact on stocking but so do the managers' impressions of many other issues which affect their decision making process.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

They still have rifles and ammo, cleaning stuff, targets, blah-blah-blah...they just let all the ML supplies go.

They had powder, primers, sabots, and all that jazz. Even had a couple starter packages with T/C Omegas in them.

I just wish I could have seen it when it actually happened, that way I could have stocked up instead of missing out.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Walmart sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dgr416 »

I quit fooling with Walmart as the distroyed many American companies for china made trash.The put Schrade knives out of business making them reduce quality .They also did it to alot of firearms comapanies.Then they sucked us in with lower prices as the put alot of gun shops out of business.They got bigger into sporting goods then after Sam Walton died decied the cheaper the better made in china.I bougt a few guns that were junk from walmart.I quit buying them from there after a few junkers.I got them at reduced prices .I bought less and less from walmart unless iot was on clearence.One day the guy at the gun counter said no more guns in a month and they all were gone.I saw walmat turn into a Target store with hardly any hunting or fishing stuff.Bass pro shop was no better they got rid of reloading stuff and reduced the size of the hunting dept for clothes .It seems Cabela and Sportmans warehouse are the only prohunting places.Sport Athoprity dumped hunting stuff and guns as did many other stores.I was suprised to see Dicks Sporting stores carry alot of hunting and fishing stuff.Its hard to even find any reloading stuff anymore except on line.Its a sign of the times.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ours got rid of all the firearms, but now sells reloading supplies along with the standard ammo and cleaning stuff. Go figure :? Now I can get a can of Varget off the shelf but can't buy a 22. Muzzle Loading stuff is mostly all inline stuff and the million gadgets that go with it. No interest. Like others, I order from the small shops and pay a little more. It's worth it to me.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wally world, and most other larger retailers (remember when Sear and Montgomery Ward sold guns). Are now run by a bunch of PC ninnies. I've gotten to where I'll buy from specialty stores rather than the big named department stores. What will really scare you is just how much many of the big named stores donate to PC causes, including gun control.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

All the Wal-Mart stores around here are still going strong. The one in Beckley sells reloading supplies, but not much. The closest store (McArthur) will order you about any gun that you want, and carries a pretty good selection of ammo.
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

Those of you who have Walmarts that sell reloading supplies should consider yourselves lucky. I am not aware of any Walmarts selling reloading supplies in the Houston area. I am curious as to what the prices are. I was shocked to see the locally-owned store selling primers for $30/1,000.

I did stop by a Walmart tonight to pick up some 22LR. I was almost out, and the prices on 22LR are going through the roof like everything else. 500 round boxes start at $14 at Gander Mountain. I found a box of Federal at Wally World for $9. It was the last one or I would have bought more. Their rifle selection was a little slim, but they just built new cabinets for them, so I assume they will continue to sell them for a while.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

shawn_c992001 wrote:All the Wal-Mart stores around here are still going strong. The one in Beckley sells reloading supplies, but not much. The closest store (McArthur) will order you about any gun that you want, and carries a pretty good selection of ammo.
Shawn, I live in Clay,WV (50 miles south east of Charleston) and I have to drive to Nitro,WV or South Charleston Walmart stores or sometimes to Summersville. It's all at least 50 miles or 100 round trip but it's worth it. They are loaded with ammo in all the stores around here and a good supply of guns in every store. They are a God send to people like me without coverage of prescription meds with there $4.00 price on prescriptions. The price of there ammo is great too! Mike
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Mike, I really like the Gander Mountain store in South Charleston and also Dick's Sporting Goods there too, but Gander Mountain is the best for ammo and reloading equipment. Cabela's is great but where I live in Raleigh Co. it's just a darn long haul...So it's usually "Hello Midway...".
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

That's funny, around here (Indiana) Gander Mountain is high on everything, and Dick's is somewhat lower with a few good sale items now and then. The south side of Indy is getting a Cabella's so we'll see what that competition does.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Gander Mountain is pretty high on their prices, Dicks is pretty much right across the street. Gander Mountain has no competition from Cabela's they are at best 5 hours apart.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Shawn, I've been to the Gander mountain and Dicks on the south side but Gander mountain is really high! Dicks is really not cheap either.
When it comes to reloading supplies I think Cabelas is hard to beat. Wish we had one in Charleston instead of Wheeling. I can honestly say that I have always been treated right by the people on the phone when ordering anything from Cabelas and the delivery is always fast too. Mike
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

The people @ Wheeling are really nice too, great bunch of people! My orders from Midway seem get here before the orders from Cabela's.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Walmart sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by BAGTIC »

dgr416 wrote:I quit fooling with Walmart as the distroyed many American companies for china made trash.The put Schrade knives out of business making them reduce quality .They also did it to alot of firearms comapanies.Then they sucked us in with lower prices as the put alot of gun shops out of business.They got bigger into sporting goods then after Sam Walton died decied the cheaper the better made in china.I bougt a few guns that were junk from walmart.I quit buying them from there after a few junkers.I got them at reduced prices .I bought less and less from walmart unless iot was on clearence.One day the guy at the gun counter said no more guns in a month and they all were gone.I saw walmat turn into a Target store with hardly any hunting or fishing stuff.Bass pro shop was no better they got rid of reloading stuff and reduced the size of the hunting dept for clothes .It seems Cabela and Sportmans warehouse are the only prohunting places.Sport Athoprity dumped hunting stuff and guns as did many other stores.I was suprised to see Dicks Sporting stores carry alot of hunting and fishing stuff.Its hard to even find any reloading stuff anymore except on line.Its a sign of the times.
Wal-Mart didn't do a darned thing to Schrade or anyone else. They merely gave the customers what the customers wanted. Cheap merchandise. You would think WalMart was the only low price discount staore in the world from the way some people whine. Remember other competitive chains such as Target and K-Mart abandoned shooters long before Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart sells what makes Wal-mart a profit. If they could do that with American made goods they would.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm not aware of any in the tulsa or oklahoma city areas that are still carrying them.
Jay
Levergunner

Post by Jay »

The local Wal-Mart still carries rifles, shotguns, ammo, and some of the very basic accessories. They have been very willing to post info regarding firearms classes, and donating rimfire ammo to local shooting events. I can't complain in that regard.
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '66, - May 68

Some of my toys....
john4me05
Levergunner

Post by john4me05 »

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get my localWally world to carry reloading equipment... My local gun shop (about the only one aorund) gouges prices like crazy... Case in point RCBS digi calipers for 99.99 Mid south carries them for 54 bucks... 100 bullet tips 18.00... 250 from Mid south 25 bucks.... Some stuff he is the same or slightly cheaper on but it aint much...
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

BAGTIC, didn't Sears and Jc pennys also sell guns at one time ?
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Chris, I have a cousin in Stillwater who told me his walmart still sells guns. The wife and I just ran to walmart for a few food staples. While she food shopped I went to sporting goods and bought a brick of 22 ammo, 100 round box of 9mm and a box of 30-30. This is my usual thing when she goes food shopping. I grab a few boxes of different ammo. One never knows when we wont be able to buy it anymore.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

john4me05 wrote:Anyone have any ideas as to how to get my localWally world to carry reloading equipment... My local gun shop (about the only one aorund) gouges prices like crazy... Case in point RCBS digi calipers for 99.99 Mid south carries them for 54 bucks... 100 bullet tips 18.00... 250 from Mid south 25 bucks.... Some stuff he is the same or slightly cheaper on but it aint much...

Find the manager and ask.

My local Wal Mart carries Pyrodex , and TC Maxi Hunters, only because enough of us ask.

7.99 for the Maxi Hunters
12.99 for the Pyrodex.
Cheapern' anybody else.

The Wal Mart in the next town over has a better sporting goods dept than most sports stores I've been in, only because the local 'mega sports' store went banckrupt and their customer went to Wal-Mart with requests.

I like Wal Mart, they hire the people no one else wants, promote from the inside, and pay fairly well considering the job.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The ones around here have about as much as they did 10 years ago...but there is a huge military and redneck population in the general area (Wash. is not all FooFoo and coffee....that's only along I-5...too bad they got most of the votes, tho :evil: ) I never used to consider the cost of gas, but even with the new Civic, it's a 5$$ round trip to the nearest SWH and WallyWorld is five min down the Hwy from me.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Mike-in-WV wrote:They are a God send to people like me without coverage of prescription meds with there $4.00 price on prescriptions. The price of there ammo is great too! Mike
Target is price matching them. Walgreen's might, also. Some stores even give out $10-$40 gift cards for bringing them a new prescription.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I went in a while back, and they told me they'd sold out WEEKS ago. As in, WAY before the end of deer season.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I service about 30 wal-marts in the dfw area..they don't display firearms anymore. but they will order you anything you want..I also service there major distrubition center..man you should see the ammo and shooting supplies they have there..a few years ago they had a huge fenced off area that was full of guns..now they only order guns when a customer wants one..the store director decides if they want to sell guns or not..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

While I was sorry to see the local Wally-World "kill off" their own selling of firearms, it was actually a "Mercy Killing."
I used to work there when they still sold firearms. I was told I was being hired because I once (actually twice) held an FFL, had worked in several gun shops, and knew a little about guns. After being hired I discovered they did not want to know anything about guns - other than to quit selling them.
They had a catalog there of many fine firearms they refused to carry - and only two of us ever ordered for customers out of it. Other "Sporting Goods" associates refused to. They also refused to call the Distributors for firearms when they were not in the catalog. They refused to even attempt to learn anything about firearms. And more than one customer left after filling our the paper work because the duty manager took so long to finalize the sale - a store requirement. It was frequently so bad that I felt embarrassed about selling under those conditions. We had a customer who once waited for about 45 minutes for the manager to arrive. He did wait, and he did give the manager a dressing down - a good enough one that it made me feel good about what had been another embarrassing situation.
The story manager and every assistant manager (that I know of) where I worked refused to use the store's ability to provide the service of selling guns to the public; it had nothing to do with selling to the public what the public (would have) bought.
It is far better to drive 30 miles to the closest Sportsman's Warehouse, or the approximate 45 miles to PSS - Bob Cheek's real gun shop.
Hope that is the best 2 cents I ever spent!
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Mike-in-WV wrote:They are a God send to people like me without coverage of prescription meds with there $4.00 price on prescriptions. The price of there ammo is great too! Mike
Target is price matching them. Walgreen's might, also. Some stores even give out $10-$40 gift cards for bringing them a new prescription.
Thanks for the info Travis. I will check into it but the stores you mention are all at least 50 miles from my house just like Walmart. Getting my pills refilled once a month at Walmart gives me an excuess to always check out the sporting goods and ammo while I'm there,Lol. Mike