New Years superstitions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

New Years superstitions

Post by JReed »

I hope you all got your Christmass trees out of the house its bad luck to start the new year with last years tree.

What other superstitions are out there?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't know if it a superstition, but my family has always eaten black eyed peas for New Years. More of a tradition I guess.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

When we lived in Ohio, the people there told my parents that it was good luck to eat pork and sauerkraut at midnight. I don't know whether it is or not, but it's tradition anyway. Good stuff too. Grandpa always liked Mom's sauerkraut the best.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Well, we don't have any new years superstitions. Which is odd because my mother was VERY superstitious.

So much so, that when I was a teenager if I told her I only had 13 dollars spending cash, she would give me one more.

If some one walked in the house from the back door, she would make them go outside, and back in from the front.

It was mandatory I kept a quarter in my sock??? I never undrstood that one.

Oh, the stories I could tell...

Any way, our tradition is to fire massive blank charges from the front stuffers!

About 200 grains of pyrodex makes a heck of a boom! I hope to have a scale cannon within the next few years...
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Blackeyed peas and collards is the tradition here in NC. The peas represent

pennies and the greens represent folding money. This is done to insure that

we will have financial prosperity in the comning year. My mama taught me

the one about the Christmas tree coming down before the first of the year.

Don't know the exact meaning of that one but i bet it is German in origin.

A happy and prosperous New Year to ya'll

spurgon
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Plus a bunch on blackeyed peas and collards on New Years day,SE Virginia, NE North Carolina. Doug
a armed man is his own master
Ysabel Kid

Re: New Years superstitions

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:I hope you all got your Christmass trees out of the house its bad luck to start the new year with last years tree.

What other superstitions are out there?
Huh-oh. We always take down the tree and decorations New Years Day.

This could explain a lot of things!

When I was growing up we'd have cornbeef and hash every New Years Day. My Dad would stick a new penny in it and it was supposed to be good luck for anyone that found it. Irish tradition. I guess it was good luck as long as you didn't bite into it or swallow it!!! :wink:
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Some Scots Customs and Traditions at New Year

Hogmanay in Scotland is a great festive time, steeped in many customs and traditions. Below are some of these and the reasoning behind them:

New Years Eve Customs

During the day of Hogmanay the household would be busy cleaning so that the New Year could be welcomed into a tidy and neat house. It is considered ill luck to welcome in the New Year in a dirty uncleaned house. Fireplaces would be swept out and polished and some people would read the ashes of the very last fire of the year, to see what the New Year would hold. The act of cleaning the entire house was called the redding, ie getting ready for the New Year.

Pieces from a Rowan tree would be placed above a door to bring luck. In the house would be placed a piece of mistletoe, not for kissing under like at Christmas, but to prevent illness to the householders. Pieces of holly would be placed to keep out mischievous fairies and pieces of hazel and yew which were thought to have magical powers and would protect the house and the people who lived in it. Juniper would be burnt throughout the house, then all the doors of the home would be opened to bring in fresh air. The house was then considered ready to bring in the New Year.

Debts would be paid by New Year's Eve because it was considered bad luck to see in a new year with a debt.

Any visitors who arrive before the chimes of midnight on New Year's Eve would have to be violently shooed away to prevent bad luck. At midnight the man of the house would open the back door to let the old year out and then open the front door of the house to let in the new year. The household would also make as much noise as possible to scare off evil spirits. In harbours throughout Aberdeenshire, at Aberdeen Harbour and throughout the North East Sea fishermen and sailors will sound their horns and these sounds carry for miles.

New Year Bells

The first stroke of the chimes at New Year is known as The Bells. People would sing Auld Lang Syne together whilst linking arms.

After the bells have rung people would go visiting friends and family, or first footing as it is known in Scotland. This would involve carrying a bottle of spirit such as whisky to offer people a new year dram. In olden days when people could only afford one bottle of spirit’s a year this bottle would take pride of place on the mantelpiece or by the fireplace and only opened at the stroke of midnight.

Hogmanay Toasts

As people wish each other a Happy New Year there are some hogmanay toasts that can be said. A traditional Scottish New Year toast is: Lang may yer lum reek! Which means long may your chimney smoke.

Another New Year toast said by Scottish people is: A guid New Year to ane an' a' and mony may ye see. Which translates to English from Scots as A good New Year to one and all, and many may you see.

First Footing

The first foot of the New Year (the first person to step into the house and sometimes called the first fit) should traditionally be a tall black haired man. This stems back to the 4th - 12th century when unwelcome visitors to this shore were Vikings who were short and fair-haired. It is considered luckier to have the opposite type of person to visit. He or she should be honest, healthy, good tempered and liked by all. They must not be carrying a sharp object like a knife. It is not unusual for a household to choose a first footer and make arrangements prior to Hogmanay.

Unlucky First Footers

Women and red haired people are considered unlucky first footers, as is a person who first foots empty handed with no gift. Such a person will bring bad luck to the household for the rest of the year. Scottish hospitality means that the unlucky first footer cannot be turned away and must come in for some refreshment. Some households overcome this bad luck by asking the person to throw salt on an open fire if they have one or placing a piece of burning straw up the chimney. Roman Catholics will cross themselves if an unlucky first footer arrives at their house. Others make a cross from Rowan twigs and place this at their front door. If an unlucky first footer arrives they touch this twig cross three times saying the name of their God each time before the first footer speaks. This might sound daft in modern times but Scots have always been superstitious and do not want to suffer 12 months bad luck until the next first footer arrives.

Other unlucky first footers include Doctors, a Minister, thieves, a grave digger, someone born with a handicap, a flat footed person and someone whose eyebrows meet in the middle. This may seem politically incorrect but these hark back to the days before PC and are written here for historic interest.

Going Out First Footing

Those going out first footing should carry a bottle to offer a drink, a lump of coal to signify that the house will keep warm, bring comfort and be safe for the year, black bun, or more modernly shortbread, to signify that the household won't go hungry for the year and a silver coin to bring prosperity to the household for the new year.

Friends, family, neighbours and even strangers are welcomed in with a handshake and the words "A Happy New Year" or " A guid year tae ye" (A good year to you) and then offered a dram and a bite to eat. The New Year is toasted with many a glass of whisky.

In some Scottish communities the Hogmanay tradition of taking a turn still exists at parties. A turn can be reciting a poem, singing a song, telling a joke or story telling.

Creaming of the Well

Households who still have wells should perform the creaming of the well tradition - the first water to be drawn from the well in the New Year. A woman who wishes to wed a particular man would try to get him to drink from this water by the end of the day to guarantee marriage. In olden days when there was a community well the villagers would rush to be the first to cream the well because it would foretell good fortune for the year.

Meeting at Hogmanay

In industrial days when people would live in a community that worked together and would work all winter without a break, except for New Year Eve and Day the communities would meet at a central point to see the New Year in. The central place was commonly by the Mercat Cross, the Town Clock or Village Church. In Aberdeen people would meet by the Town House which now explains why Aberdeen hosts the annual Hogmanay concert at the Castlegate.

Hogmanay Guising

Much like Hallowe'en children would have gone out guising around the neighbourhood knocking on doors for an oatcake, a piece of black bun, shortbread sweets or money. A popular Scottish Hogmanay guising song was:

Rise up, guid wife, an' shake your feathers,
Dinna think that we are beggars:
We are bairns come out to play,
Get up and gie's our Hogmanay!
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

A Polish tradition is to wash your hands with a silver coin. The idea is that you will not have any money problems for the coming year.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Superstitions? I don't believe in any of them. I am 100% in the belief that we all create 99% of our own luck and our own downfalls. :D Traditions? That's another story but too long of a one to discuss.---------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

black eyed peas, greens and ham...gotta do it!Happy New Year.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Gotta have green chili stew, I dont know why, but I aint complainin :wink:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Down here folks have all kinds of superstitions. Here's a few:

If you carry a packed suitcase around the block you'll get to travel during the new year.

If you eat 12 grapes at midnight you'll have good luck.

If you eat lentils, you'll not have money problems during the new year.

If you wear yellow underwear you'll have good luck.

There's plenty more, but those are the one's I recall off the top of my head.

As for me and my house, we don't sweat it. We enjoy a time of fellowship with any from the church who care to drop by and we welcome the new year as a chance to improve upon the last in the way we serve our Lord and fellow man.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
john4me05
Levergunner

Post by john4me05 »

Up here in the mountains of VA we (ie my family) have boiled cabbage, black eyed peas, and hog jowels for NY day meal.. I know the hog jowels are lucky because they taste soooo goood your lucky to get any at all......
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

mmmm... pork.

I could live off pork.

...and chicken. So long as I didn't run out of biscuits. I just had a bacon and egg sandwich with a glass of rum and coke. My wife said," For a such a health nut, you're gonna die early you know?" To which I replied," Yeeeaaah..."
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Years superstitions

Post by Noah Zark »

JReed wrote:I hope you all got your Christmass trees out of the house its bad luck to start the new year with last years tree.
We've always left ours up until "Little Christmas," 6 Jan.

That could explain a lot . . .

This area was settled by German immigrants in the middle 1800s and one of their superstitions is that you must eat pork and sauerkraut on either NY eve or NY day. I never do; hate the stuff.

Noah
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

We started our New Years day traditional meal early tonight with Fallow deer dteaks complemeted by blackeyed peas and fried/steamed cabbage (like boiled) with abundant wine. Tomorrow, we will have the same vegetables with ham - and peach cobbler. Howcum I always gain weight during the holidays?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

#1: All Christmas decorations must be taken down and put away before midnight on New Years Eve.

#2: Never do any laundry on New Years Day.

#3: Without fail have some sort of greens (collards, turnips or mustard for money) and black-eyed peas (for luck) on New Years Day. I cook the greens with smoked turkey wings and the peas with smoked ham hocks.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

gotta love the "take 'em down before New Year's Day" thing ....

a couple of years ago we took down the Christmas tree .... to celebrate St Patrick's Day !!

Cheers,

Carl
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

old fashioned here. always celebrated the 12 days of christmas. not many left here who do. don't even hear a christmas carol on the radio past christmas day evening. we do the pork and sauerkraut too.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Guess I am a bit surprised so many take down the Christmas tree before the 12 days of Christmas have run their course. Jan. 6 - the Day of Epiphany - is the tree removal day around here.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)