Unusual 94 reblue situation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Unusual 94 reblue situation

Post by BwanaDave »

In one of my convoluted trades I ended up with a beater win 94. The gun was what we call a "reservation gun" as it was from one of the area indian reservations and looked like it had spent years sliding around in a pick up truck. The gun was made in the early 70s. The receiver had been buffed right through the plating under the blue. I am aware of all the problems about rebluing those plated receivers but if the plating is gone, how will it take bluing? Who would you recommend doing this at a cost that wouldn't far exceed the value of the gun? The gun shoots fine, I keep it at my hideout in New Mexico. Latley I have been looking at 94s again and I have been shocked at the asking prices, thus the thoughts on sprucing up my sow's ear.

Dave
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Unusual 94 reblue situation

Post by Tycer »

It will take blue without the plating. It will be purple.
It will take all sorts of plating.
It will take color case hardening.
It will take powdercoat.
It will take a rust browning.

I like the ones I've seen that were stripped and then browned. I saw one where the guy stripped all the blue and browned the whole gun that looked ancient.
Powdercoating is pretty cheap.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Purple is what I am trying to stay away from. I have enough problems with flashbacks to the 60s as it is. From your post I am assuming you have seen the purple result on a gun that had the plating removed, is that correct?

Thanks

Dave
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yep. It's that same plum color that some Sig slides get and the Savage pumps.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Krylon.... :shock: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Have it plated with iron and then blued?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have it hard chromed - go the other way if it shoots well. Spend the dough and have something indestructible and useful. Leave the screws in for plating otherwise I have heard they won't stay.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

There is a guy in Florida, I believe his name is George Rogaar who does Winchester refinnishing and the following is from his site:

WINCHESTER MODEL 1894
Winchester 1894 receivers between 2,770,000 and 5,024,957 (1964-1981) were machined from a graphitic steel casting and will not accept normal blueing. To make it more confusing, serial numbers 3,185,692 to 3,806,499 (1968-1972) were black chrome plated, and 3,806,500 to 5,024,957 (1972 -1981) were iron plated.
I can hot blue all of these, but must first grind off the plating. The shiniest finish that can go on these is 400 grit ( about factory).

RECEIVERS ONLY $100.00
BARRELED ACTIONS $130.00
COMPLETE GUN $195.00

Since my 94 has already been abused I am very interested in this type of job, but the question is what will the finish color be. Also, who else is doing the same or similar work? I am not interested in attacking it with BBQ paint. As with the rest of you, I have always heard it will turn purple but I have never heard of anyone who has first hand experience when the plating is removed.

Dave

Dave
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dave,

I've never had a 94 Winchester refinished so I have no experience. I think since yours is going to be a cabin gun that parkerizing might look good. Or the Tennifer (sp) plating that Glock uses is supposed to be really uber durable.

As far as the reblued receivers turning purple, here is forum member OD's trapper after he had it blued:
ODs1965TrapperPlumReciever.jpg
The purple receiver always fascinated me. I wouldn't want one though.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

LEt us know what the different options would cost, would ya? I have a '94 I call "Freckles" that needs refinished.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

brown,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Contact Brownells "Tech Line" (call or e-mail). There are guys that have tricks that make hot bluing those receivers no problem.
Brownells can hook you up with them.

I think I would go the plated way. Hard Chrome,Nickle, etc. Not shiny plating like a car bumper but frosted like a bead blast finish. I think they look cool!! :D
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Many years back I used Hoppies Browning on a single shot .22 bolt action rifle . Went with 400 steel wool and 320 sand paper ( that's the best I can remember ) . Any how it turned out very nice. Not real shiny but deep glowing brown after 3 coats and some steel between each and final polish very lightly. My son used it for a long time, but it was with the ones that were stolen .
I don't even like thinking about it . Only thing got back was his shot gun .410 .
But for an old gun , sure liked the results on that .22.
.......................................................Mutt
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I don't know about refinishing one of those 94's but I do have a much older one that some one parkerized and lost the rear sight elevator and I got it for a good price and wouldn't trade it for anything. If it is going to be your camp gun the parkerized finish works great. You might think about putting a duracoat finish on it also. I have one that has had this done to it and I like it. Just some ideas
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Parkerized refinish wouldn't bust the budget for a campgun.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."