OT-New truck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-New truck

Post by Rusty »

I saw an an F150 extended cab just the other day that sort of tripped my trigger. I'm thinkin of those with a V-6 might be the way to go.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Got 3 Bronco II's myself
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Well, I finally bought one! It cost me more than the house I bought in 1977! :o
Oh well, I took out a 30 year mortgage when I was 57yo, so they should both be paid off about the same time. :lol: :lol: It is a 4x4, it is dark blue pearl metallic, extended cab, more options than I will ever figure out how to use, and oh yes, it is a FORD FX4. She sure is a looker. I really appreciate all the replies.
Gotta go, gotta wipe the dust off of her again. 8) 8)
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Want me to come scratch it up, so you can actually use it? :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

I had driven Chevy trucks for many years and had good luck with them all. However, I recently purchased a new Dodge standard cab 4X4 with the 5.7 HEMI. So far I really like it. Rides and handles great with the new coil rear suspension. Pulls my tandum wheel trailer with tractor/front end loader/box blade and does not even breath hard. Mileage on the road is a little over 20 (that's with no trailer, of course). For 2009 the 5.7 HEMI is at 390 HP. It will go!!

When I was shopping I looked at another Chevy and am sure I would have been happy with another one. However, I wanted to try something different to me. Also, I like the Dodge unlimited time and mileage power train warrantee. Hopefully, I will not need it!! Time will tell.
Unreconstructed
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Last year I kinda looked at buying a new truck....glad I didn't cause I medically retired April '08. I have always bought Fords....'79 300CI 6 with 3 on the tree that ran forever, '88 300CI 6 with 5 speed, still running around, '94 300CI 6 with my first ever automatic also my first short bed (darling wife needed a newer car so it got traded-in), '99 Supercab 4.6L V8 XLT still drive it almost daily with 225,000 miles (just rebuilt the front end) and my newest truck '05 Supercrew 5.4L V8 XLT with 145,000miles...if I'm gonna go very far out of town I drive it. (Sometimes eating a good supper is a 200 mile or longer round trip).....I bought the '99 and '05 used....great deals. I like the 4.6L V8 better but they both get about the same on gas.....14/16 in town and 17/19 on the road. A new XLT Supercrew is about $25 grand down here in East Texas....they are sure pretty but not worth the $$$$$....I believe I'll put a motor in these when the time comes and drive 'em till I kick over or give 'em to my grandkids I would really love a car like the Belairs or Biscanyes....body on frame, good strong steel sheetmetal, inline 6 or small V8, auto, air, tilt (Gotta big belly) and nothing else. No power nothing except brakes and steering. I believe Americans would buy a car like that....the only thing made like it is a very basic work truck. Well my two cents.....

jumbeaux
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a Ford F-150 and the wife has an XTERRA. The XTERRA is almost 10 years old and we're thinking of replacing it. As Rusty mentioned we're looking at companies that didn't take bailout money. I'd prefer US made (if not US labeled). Government Motors (GM) and Chrysler won't get my money not just because they are owned by the government or union(s) but because they aren't as likely to survive. I'd like to be able to run this vehicle at least until I'm about 65 or so. We generally do run our vehicles 10-12 years.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Well you should be ok with a Chev, Dodge , Ford full sizes truck , because you get more for you money, over mid-size, you should do search on each model,
Now on the Toyota you should go with the mid-sizes truck, not full size truck, just do a problem search .note their mid size trk's win most off the off road events, also make sure you will have a local truck dealer next month! Also most trucks will have diesels in the 1/2 tons next year. :idea:
Last edited by tomtex on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My random 2p...

Don't buy anything newer than... oh... 1965 or so unless you already have an old car/truck.

Why? Because any vehicle that is run on Transistors/Computers/EFI yadda-yadda will be TOAST after the first EMP/"E-Bomb". Anything that is strictly mechanical/distributed will still run - even if the radio doesn't.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Just bought one today, Chevy Silverado 4X4, small V8. Traded in a Chevy Silverado 2003 with 104000+ on it.....only problems ..lets see, 2 u joints went bad. Before that a 1998 Chevy Cheyenne with 108000+, had the coil go out on me at 80000. Before that a Toyota with 103000, that I had to replace the alternator, the radiator, the wiper motor. Finally before that a Chevy s-10 with zero problems. I am sold on Chevy now, but i will admit my bias up front here...I get the GM discount. I guess with 4 years of college for my BS degree, then 2 years in the masters program, then back to college for 2 more years, then 4 years in the tool and die apprenticeship program I am one of those nasty union people that is grossly overpaid for what i do and know. I guess maybe I am only worth, I dont know,5- 6 bucks an hour?????. Meanwhile a girl I work with calls out an appliance repair man, who fixes her stovetop range (under warranty) in about 15 minutes, then charges $60 to the company for his work...lets see....$240/hour. Yeah, he had the audacity to berate my friend about how SHE makes so much!!!! Unreal.
Union Proud!!!!!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Quote-
"If I were to do it over again, I'd go with a lease deal on the woman. Another case of buying something way bigger than what I really wanted."

O.K. now that right there is funny! :lol:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

coyote nose wrote:Just bought one today, Chevy Silverado 4X4, small V8. Traded in a Chevy Silverado 2003 with 104000+ on it.....only problems ..lets see, 2 u joints went bad. Before that a 1998 Chevy Cheyenne with 108000+, had the coil go out on me at 80000. Before that a Toyota with 103000, that I had to replace the alternator, the radiator, the wiper motor. Finally before that a Chevy s-10 with zero problems. I am sold on Chevy now, but i will admit my bias up front here...I get the GM discount. I guess with 4 years of college for my BS degree, then 2 years in the masters program, then back to college for 2 more years, then 4 years in the tool and die apprenticeship program I am one of those nasty union people that is grossly overpaid for what i do and know. I guess maybe I am only worth, I dont know,5- 6 bucks an hour?????. Meanwhile a girl I work with calls out an appliance repair man, who fixes her stovetop range (under warranty) in about 15 minutes, then charges $60 to the company for his work...lets see....$240/hour. Yeah, he had the audacity to berate my friend about how SHE makes so much!!!! Unreal.
Union Proud!!!!!
You friend's repairman also had to make an appointment, drive there, pay for all the appointments where nobody shows up at the *******' door, keep an inventory, and pay for tools.

You, on the other hand, probably had your schooling subsidised by the government, union, or company. In addition, every time you get another degree or certification, you get paid more, generally, for doing less actual work.
The effort to reward ratio in American business is really screwed up; sit on your butt and take a few classes, but do roughly 10% of the actual work of the lowest paid person, and you'll likely make 5 times what he does.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Quote-
"If I were to do it over again, I'd go with a lease deal on the woman. Another case of buying something way bigger than what I really wanted."

O.K. now that right there is funny! :lol:
I thought it was like hunting; I got a really big one! Thank goodness I was able to load her in the truck; it woulda taken forever to quarter her!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Travis, now why would you assume all that about me? I initially responded by defending myself but then decided to start over and just type this. You are 100% wrong about who paid for what in my life and how I got where I am.
And you are defending that swapping out a faulty thermocouple on a stove is worth $240 an hour???? And that after doing that he can berate my friend who makes $11/hour?????????
'nuff said.
Dennie, good job on the truck, lean a levergun on her, take a photo and post it!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

You forgot to preface that with the usual union diatribe....."I've sucked at doing this job for XX many years, so I oughta know......" :D
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Got my notice yesterday about my impending lay-off May 11, supposedly only temporary. The uniuon bashers should be happier than the gun-grabbers were when obama got elected.
I guess you are right after all Travis, you ARE a better man than me .
Maybe re-reading Hobies sticky about posting etiquette is in order ??
Take care.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

WoodrowC wrote:The domestic auto market is based in the United States, with a lot of support from Canada. Much of the resources that go into the building of American vehicles comes from Canada (steel, nickel, etc.). A Toyota built in Tennesee is a Japanese vehicle because Toyota's head office is in downtown Tokyo. That's where the cash goes. The jobs that come with these foreign companies having assembly plants in America and Canada are a good thing, but these are still foreign owned companies.
I am not a fan of globalization, and I hate the glut of cheap Chinese merchandise in our stores. I grew up in the 1950's and I miss the quality of everything made back then.
I just bought a 2009 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab, after a long line of chevy trucks. I like it. I also support everyone's choice to drive what they choose. These are just my own thoughts.

Regards, Gerry
This just makes sense, besides Ford does make the best trucks and I do not have to give a foreign entity a 20% return on equity to subsidize their neighbors OVER THERE! I'd rather pay the premium here for a quality, honest domestic brand that I can get my usual 500k miles out of (my current '95 F-150 has only 346k miles on it, so I still have a few years to think about a low mileage 2002-2007 model). Only Toyota that I had personal experience with was a rented one that broke in half trying to pull my back-hoe out of the mud, good thing my kid finally showed up with my F-150 and pulled the hoe and both parts of the Toyota out (broke the frame where the intermediate cross member attached on the right side)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

THEM FORDS ARE INDEED TOUGH 8)
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Old Time Hunter wrote: Only Toyota that I had personal experience with was a rented one that broke in half trying to pull my back-hoe out of the mud, good thing my kid finally showed up with my F-150 and pulled the hoe and both parts of the Toyota out (broke the frame where the intermediate cross member attached on the right side)
Got pics?!?!?!? I'd have LOVED to been there when you brought it back to the rental counter... on two different trailers!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

coyote nose wrote:Got my notice yesterday about my impending lay-off May 11, supposedly only temporary. The uniuon bashers should be happier than the gun-grabbers were when obama got elected.
I guess you are right after all Travis, you ARE a better man than me .
Maybe re-reading Hobies sticky about posting etiquette is in order ??
Take care.
I'm not happy about anyone losing their livelihood.

As for etiquette, like most union guys, you stick your head in the sand whenever someone provides an opposing view, then start mudslinging like I just threw mud on your messiah.

While I'm not happy about someone losing their livelihood, I always get a chuckle when I see union workers on TV, crying about how they can't make their jet ski payment while they're on strike, like it's something that "just happened"! THEY VOTED FOR IT! If a company can't afford to pay people obscene wages to stand around thumbing through a union handbook, looking for a grievance they haven't thought of suing for,(yet) and has to get rid of a bunch of union members, well, they just need to realise they've cut their own darned throats!
They should sue their unions, and make them liquidate assets to help members pay some bills. Most unions own several multi million dollar resorts that are rarely used, and only for the use of the top union guys. Don't cry to everyone about how unfair it is to the rest of us; go take what your dues have paid for. And please.... GET A CLUE!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Wow!!! Hang in there Travis....things will get better.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Coyote Nose,
I was reading your thread you posted on 4/29
Somthing does not make sense? You said you received a 4 year
BS degree/2 year Masters/ 2 more college years/what Doctors???/

Who in Gods name spends 8 YEARS in college/then attends a
apprenticeship school for TOOL & DIE :lol:
That makes no sense?
Usually from what I have noticed with people, those type people
who say all this type stuff about their education are not usually
truthful.Now you say after 8 years/College 4/years apprenticeship
you are being let go.Man,if you are telling the truth you sure picked
a terrible career path.Aslo I noticed when you mentioned that repairman getting $250hr for his trip out to to fix the stove which he charged only $60,somthing tells me either you are some kid maybe working at say Walmart or that college time you spent was wasted if you did go. :?
My good friend has a kid that graduated High School 2005 /went in the Navy 2006 and after 2 years is a CNC/CMM/optical CMM operator and is an apprentice Die/Toolmaker under a direct Journeyman Toolmaker?He is a E4 as of 2/09
Also he already has a job waiting for him when he leaves the Navy, working as a civilian but working in the Defense Industry right along
side Navy personel,but says he will probably stay in the Navy.
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun May 03, 2009 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Madman,

Let us just file it under "troll", and go back to talking about guns and hunting, and stuff. We're just putting "garbage in", at this point.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I am with you BRO!!!!!! 8)
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Hi madman, I guess I should ask you to reread my post. I spent 4 years and OBTAINED my BS degree. I then spent 2 years in the masters program (I did not mention I got a masters degree...I did not finish). Health issues (ie: being hospitalized) forced my to quit before I could do my field thesis, then financial issues stymied later attempts (so much for the charge I got govt aid, etc). About 5 or 6 years after that i went part time while working and obtained 2 teaching certificates (grades 7-12).
As far as bad career chioces go, you are right!!! I made some terrible choices in my life...my own fault and I blame no one else but me. :oops: Fortunately the tool and die apprenticeship opened up and with both my dad and brother being diemakers and it looked like something I would like so I jumped ship on everything else and signed up. It was a big decision to make but I figured finally I made the right career choice. I know this, it is the best field I ever worked in!
As far as $240/hr...he charged 60$ for 1/4 hour work....$60X4 is $240. That is how I came up with that figure. (Remember, the repairman was complaining to her about how much she makes an hour...).
Anyway, i am outta here too...I much prefer talking about guns!!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Same here I would rather talk guns too.(lets start fresh)
Sorry it worked out that way for you(health issues and all)
Hopefully somthing good comes your way.I dont wish anyone
the misfortune of getting laid off from their job.
This is a rough time for people with this darn economy.
Take care and BEST OF LUCK (Hang in There) Coyote Nose !!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

So, uh, we don't have to hug or anything, now, do we?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I don't think you are going to find a really good or really bad truck no matter what you buy. If you are looking at a 2009 don't buy a diesel anything they all suck on mileage. A gas v10 would do almost as good as the normal diesel and in 2009 I am not sure that mileage is that much different and the gas is way cheaper.
If I had to replace my current ford diesel I would look at the gas engines and not even go near the diesels. they are a $6800 option and then the trans costs you I think it is another $2000 and then the price of the truck. If I replaced mine with a new diesel it would almost $10,000 more then I paid for the one I have and the mileage is about half what I get. I just don't see how you can justify 60-70 thousand for a pickup truck anymore. Look for a good used one and put the rest of the money in the bank.
I would love to get a F450 or F550 some day but it will be used and no newer then 2007 most likely in the late 2005-2007 year range as that is when the 6 liter got better and if it got taken care of it would do what I need. Would not pass on a good used 2002 or older 7.3 that was in good shape either but those 6.4 liters are terrible mileage is in the 6-8 maybe 10 range and mine is in the 15-16 average and on a trip it gets around 19-20 so I am not going to get rid of it no way.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OH YA!!
GROUP HUG!!!!!! :P