Grafs delisted primers all together

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Grafs delisted primers all together

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Grafs has apparently decided not to even list primers on their site for the time being. Powder Valley did the same thing late last week. I'm not sure why ... perhaps they had a lot of people calling about them and just got tired of it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Grafs delisted primers all together

Post by Modoc ED »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Grafs has apparently decided not to even list primers on their site for the time being. Powder Valley did the same thing late last week. I'm not sure why ... "I'd say they're out and don't expect to get any for a long, long, long, long,time."perhaps they had a lot of people calling about them and just got tired of it.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've heard it said for many years that to cripple the shooting industry just stop the flow of primers. Well, that was so true.

I suspect that it won't be getting any better either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

J Miller wrote:I've heard it said for many years that to cripple the shooting industry just stop the flow of primers. Well, that was so true.

I suspect that it won't be getting any better either.

Joe
Yer gonna have to start making em Joe.
ED
Yer never too old
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Well if it doesn't get any better, I have a bunch of boat anchors! My small supply wont last a whole lot longer.
I don't think its a government conspiracy at this point, its self induced hording.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I agree that it's self induced hoarding, but I think the main problem is that the primer makers are also the ammo makers, and they need the supply of primers to fill ammo orders that have skyrocketed. Concealed carry has created a whole new generation of shooters, and guess what...people who were non shooters before, just realized what fun it is to go to the range and waste 100 rounds. So the demand for ammo has skyrocketed....thus the supply of primers has diminished because truthfully most people would rather pay 40 bucks for a box of ammo rather than reload. Go to your local range this week and see all of the women there who are pulling the trigger. I didn't see that two years ago.

Ed
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't know about making primers, but I'm keeping all my fired ones.

As for boat anchors I don't think I'm worried about that quite yet. My primer reserves are not great, but I got enough between the reserves and loaded ammo to keep me busy for a day or two.

Now, though I am considering getting me a flintlock. That's about as close to self sufficient as I can see a person with a gun being. Just gotta learn how to knap the flints and make my own powder :o

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Kansas Ed wrote:... but I think the main problem is that the primer makers are also the ammo makers, and they need the supply of primers to fill ammo orders that have skyrocketed.
I'd say that's probably the case. Obviously, they make primers for their own ammo and have always sold the excess on the open market. I think that there's just no "excess" ... even if they're running three shifts.

What I find odd though, is that Natchez DOES get primers in periodically. You guys have probably seen me post those alerts about primers being available and it's always at Natchez. I'm not sure how they are pulling that off. Perhaps the other vendors have taken too many backorders to allow stock that comes in to be posted to their web sites. I believe both Grafs and Powder Valley were taking backorders for a short while but now both have just completely de-listed primers.

In any case, I will still have my program search their sites for primers. And I will still post when it finds primers of any kind at one of the online retailers.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think Federal indicated they were 18 months behind for their ammo orders.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

One thing I'll say is if they do prohit the manufacture of ammunition by citizens we're going to see those hoarders in an all new light. Grafs delisting primers scares the hell out of me personally.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

J Miller wrote:I don't know about making primers, but I'm keeping all my fired ones.

As for boat anchors I don't think I'm worried about that quite yet. My primer reserves are not great, but I got enough between the reserves and loaded ammo to keep me busy for a day or two.

Now, though I am considering getting me a flintlock. That's about as close to self sufficient as I can see a person with a gun being. Just gotta learn how to knap the flints and make my own powder :o

Joe
yup flint , back to the future.
gotta change your tag line though,
"be sneaky, get closer, SNAP SOME FLINT on him when you can put the ball where it counts"
works for me. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
shooter444002
Levergunner

Post by shooter444002 »

Guess gonna have to shoot the front stuffer more. There are plenty of 209 shotshell primers and percussion caps out there.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am glad I stocked up during the last primer scare, and them went about living normally under a FIFO system.
If I am frugal, I will be OK for the rest of my days, if things return to normal, all will be normal.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

J Miller - look into Tap O Cap - you can make your own percussion caps with soda cans and caps from a cap pistol.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Re Graffs.......... I talked to the nice lady a few days ago, and she said they were at about 6mo worth of backorders. I am supposedly in the line for 5000. Let us hope that the companies are merely not taking orders until they can complete filling back orders over the next several monthes......I was told MAYBE 4 to 6 months..... Additional note: She told me that Federal is buying back primers from wholesalers to complete there ammunition obligations......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

BlaineG wrote:... Additional note: She told me that Federal is buying back primers from wholesalers to complete there ammunition obligations......
Ouch. I just bought a bunch of Federal primers last week. I'm amazed at what the small rifle primers are getting up on Gun Broker ... $75-$100 per thousand. Fortunately, I don't shoot a lot of 223 anymore. I'm still nowhere near depleting my stock of Hirtenberger M855.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:J Miller - look into Tap O Cap - you can make your own percussion caps with soda cans and caps from a cap pistol.
Cap pistol caps?? I didn't know they still made them. I guess I better get out more.

Joe
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

hey, airguns are fun, too
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."