1894 tang swap

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

1894 tang swap

Post by Mike D. »

I haven't attempted this, but can a post 64 lower tang be easily adapted to fit a turn of the century 1894 Winchester action? The one I have is a PG tang from one of those NRA guns from 1970. The holes "appear" to line up so that the flat mainspring can be installed on the newer tang. Got any advise? :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 1894 tang swap

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

I'm not positive about the tang itself. I know the pre-64s and some of the early post-64s have a square boss on each side that mates to slots on the inside of the receiver. Weather or not this will match up I don't know.
However I do know that the mainspring, trigger, sear, hammer and I think maybe the trigger stop and spring are different. I'm not at all sure the parts with interchange.

I'll bet 20 cows or Griff ( where ever he is ) knows.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Joe, this tang has the two square bosses that you referred to. When I get my hands on an older action, I'll know for sure whether or not it can be adapted.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Hmmm, tang swap...

I'm trying to be decent and upright here, but...

Is that like "Wife Swap"?
I'm jk...
Let us know how it works out.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Not that kind'a "tang", Scott. :lol: