OT-Make Your Own Bullet Lube

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT-Make Your Own Bullet Lube

Post by Sixgun »

Fellow Shootists,
First, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I am self-taught in most everything in life and have learned by trial and error. If it works, I use it and this works. Others lube makers are much better than me and will have better formulas but I do see a need for anything better.

I use this lube in dozens of revolvers and leverguns from 700-2000 fps. Accuracy is as good as the gun and no leading is evident as long as other factors are followed, such as sizing, bore condition, etc.

Pay $5-6 bucks for a tube of lube? :( Not this factory worker. Pay 2 G's for a nice Winchester? You bet! :D I cut corners, financially, in every facet of my life so I can enjoy what the rich guys do and that is shooting fine classic guns. And I'm better at it than 99% of 'em :D Rednecks rule! :D

Anyway, the formula I use is 50% beeswax and 50% white lithium grease, (by weight) available at any auto parts store for about $4 a tube. A pound of grease and a pound of beeswax will make about 24 sticks of lube. I usually make about enough for 12 sticks. The consistency is perfect for all year use and needs no sizer heater and will not melt in hot weather.Here goes---------------Sixgun

1" inside diameter pvc pipe cut 4"

3/8" wooden dowel right in the middle --I use aluminum foil to keep the hot lube from running out the bottom

Lube all melted up--low heat--after its all mixed up, shut off heat and let her cool, but still fluid before pouring.

the lube poured in and has hardened a bit---pull the tubes out at this point and put the tubes in the freezer for about a half hour.--then push the lube out with a wooden dowel about the same size as the inside diameter of the pvc pipe.
Image,

Here she is, about .25 cents instead of $5
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Make Your Own Bullet Lube

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Ya have a name for it?? "Sixgun lube" :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not a bad recipe. I have about 15 pounds of that white lithium lube. Hmmmm, maybe I should cook me up some.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I use a double boiler to melt the lube , it don't change the viscosity of lube like the direct heat . I pour melt lube directly into sizer and I get no air pocket . I need to try making your lube stick , super great idea .
Image..Image
Image......Image
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've always wondered about the different colors of lube that you buy. I'm sure they are all made with a beeswax base and just vary the amount and type of grease. In our maintenance shop they use a grease made by Chevron for greasing 5th wheels and zerk fittings. It's a blue grease and using my imagination I'm thinking that if I cut the blue Chevron grease I'd have what would look like Apache Blue lube. I never had had time to experiment with it but I plan on it some day soon.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty Cool Jack!!!

Gonna have to try that!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Excellent thread - a keeper. Thanks for the instruction!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

tn gun runner wrote: I pour melt lube directly into sizer and I get no air pocket .
Hey, why didn't I think of that. I guess thats what I get for being half Italian. :D

Rusty, I bet your Chevron lube would work with the same 50/50 mix. Its probably how Paco makes all his money :D )For the velocities most of us use, any good grease would work.

Joe, I took those pics of the catalog. If you want them drop me an e-mail at Levergun4590@Msn.Com

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun wrote:
tn gun runner wrote: I pour melt lube directly into sizer and I get no air pocket .
Hey, why didn't I think of that. I guess thats what I get for being half Italian. :D

Rusty, I bet your Chevron lube would work with the same 50/50 mix. Its probably how Paco makes all his money :D )For the velocities most of us use, any good grease would work.

Joe, I took those pics of the catalog. If you want them drop me an e-mail at Levergun4590@Msn.Com
Sixgun, you got email.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Folks have been mixing 'this and that" with beeswax for generations to make good bullet lube. I have used a 60/40 (beeswax to Vaseline) mix for almost 50 years with the same results you get. Other use 50/50 Moly automotive grease and beeswax. One old receipe was 50/50 beeswax and water pump grease. Just about any kind of automotive grease works well. I have used the old Texaco Marfac and beeswax with good results. I don't see why your mix should not be as good as any of the above including mine.

There is way to much hype and nonsense about various bullet lubes. There are just two kinds of lube. Those that work and those that don't work. In the 700 to 2,000 fps range you mentioned it is not hard to find a good lube. ONe exception is this wax based stuff that comes in most commercial cast bullets that is just about worthless as a bullet lube.

Folks will have leading in their firearms and the first thing they think of is "bad lube". Most often the cause is something other than the lube, such as wrong bullet hardness, wrong bullet size, wrong bullet shape, rough barrel etc. etc.

When cast bullet velocities exceed 2,000 fps, you will need a more complex lube liked Felix World Famous.

You are making too much work out of this deal. I used a two quart Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave to melt and mix the lube. Just go slow and when there is a button of beeswax left, stir by hand until everything goes into solution. You will avoid over heating the mix that way. Then just pour the lube into your machine and let it harden. Cover the remainder in the pyrex cut with foil and you will be good to go until next time. The measuring marks on the cup are very helpful with mixing the lube.

YOu are very correct about the economy of making your own lube. It makes zero sense to buy bullet lube. I have almost a hundred pounds of beeswax put up, so I am set for the rest of my life.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

How do you make Lee Liquid Alox? That's what I use - I like their bottom push sizer dies.

I made some black powder lube with beeswax, olive oil and lard with a few drops of mint oil. Don't recall the % of each but it was something like 1/2 beeswax, and 1/4 of each of the other.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very impressive :D and if you swap the grease for olive oil you have a perfect BP lube :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Where do you go to get beeswax locally? I'm new to this ,not sure where to get it.

By the way Sixgun , seeing you smelting operation thread a few weeks got me start smelting my wheel weights this last weekend. Melted 50 lbs of WW and got 40 1lb ingots. I can't beleive how many clips you have to scoop out of the pan. I have another 150 lbs to go and then need to get an electric melting furnace for when it's time to make bullets.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

BenT wrote:Where do you go to get beeswax locally? I'm new to this ,not sure where to get it.

By the way Sixgun , seeing you smelting operation thread a few weeks got me start smelting my wheel weights this last weekend. Melted 50 lbs of WW and got 40 1lb ingots. I can't beleive how many clips you have to scoop out of the pan. I have another 150 lbs to go and then need to get an electric melting furnace for when it's time to make bullets.
Do you have a big craft superstore nearby? That's where I got mine. I think it was in the candle making area?

You can also buy a toilette seating ring - I believe that they are 100% beeswax. Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

BenT wrote:Where do you go to get beeswax locally? I'm new to this ,not sure where to get it.
Down near Oostburg and Belgium there are a bunch of honey farms, they all sell the beeswax cheap.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Charles, You are right, I can do without some of the intricacies. I have been buying it for so long in the sticks, I, well, just continued :D

Like OSOK says, beeswax is available in craft & hardware stores in pure form on in toilet seat rings which I believe are about 95% beeswax, as pure beeswax would be too hard to work on sealing a toilet. Still though, its good enough as I have used it this way. (redneck thinking :D ) I live only 30 miles or so from Pennsylvania Dutch and the next time I go up that way, I'm gonna stop at one of their farms and buy me a mess of it as most of them sell honey.
Even so, a pound will go a long way and will keep me in business for a couple of years and I do a lot of casting.

Ben T------smelt that lead! Nothing like independence from the bullet makers!----------Sixgun

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Good info . There is an Amish organic food store nearby. I need to stop in and check to see if I can get a lead on beeswax. If not craft store or hardware store.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

How could this be "Off Topic". I love the do-it-yourself tips that pop-up from time to time. I'm looking foreword to trying this out. :D
uncowboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by uncowboy »

Jack that is great work. I also make my owne lubes and I tried making sticks and had no luck. They stuck to the PVC and it was messy. Your molds look like the right stuff. What do you use for a release agent? J.Michael
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

uncowboy wrote:Jack that is great work. I also make my owne lubes and I tried making sticks and had no luck. They stuck to the PVC and it was messy. Your molds look like the right stuff. What do you use for a release agent? J.Michael
Mike, You don't need nothin' for a release agent. Just put the tube and all in the freezer for about a half hour. The cold shrinks the lube and they just pop right on out-----easy------------Sixgun

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've also seen bags of grease for sale in truck stoops that have graphite mixed in with it. they use them for lubing the top of the 5th wheel. You just throw the little bag on the 5th wheel and back under trailer. When you go under the trailer the bag breaks and the grease spreads out.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I asked my plumber several years ago about the toilet rings being beeswax, he said they had gone to some synthetic stuff a few years before I asked him. It may lube bullets, but it isnt beeswax any longer.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?